C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for bolt-on mod suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:38 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

I never understood the no tuning thing either. I see this all the time in the Fbody and import crowd. Kids slapping whatever parts they can afford onto their engines and then give the pre-race excuse disclaimer, "not tuned yet". However, given your particular situation, I can understand having to play ball with the dealership.

Honestly I don't believe there are many mods left that wont require some type of tuning. A FAST or even a stock ported IM will drastically alter the flow rates and I don't know how long I'd drive around without getting it tuned. I'd just enjoy the car for the time being and save up for a cam when the warranty runs out.

As for your previous engine, a tune should not destroy your engine unless it was waaaaay off for the given mods. Was it an LS motor?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

dood, you're going to blow another motor... give it time. that $9800 would of made a nice down payment on a used Z. there's your extra power.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

And speaking of tunes; anyone had a tune done on a stock vette to see what gains there were?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 PM
elitebomberX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shado
I never understood the no tuning thing either. I see this all the time in the Fbody and import crowd. Kids slapping whatever parts they can afford onto their engines and then give the pre-race excuse disclaimer, "not tuned yet". However, given your particular situation, I can understand having to play ball with the dealership.

Honestly I don't believe there are many mods left that wont require some type of tuning. A FAST or even a stock ported IM will drastically alter the flow rates and I don't know how long I'd drive around without getting it tuned. I'd just enjoy the car for the time being and save up for a cam when the warranty runs out.

As for your previous engine, a tune should not destroy your engine unless it was waaaaay off for the given mods. Was it an LS motor?
It was an LS2 that blew. I'm not sure what caused it. I doubt it was the tune too. I had it done at a reputable shop that has done plenty of Corvettes.

People ask me if I over rev'd or if I didn't keep up on my oil changes, but I never over rev'd or missed an oil change. Unfortunately, crap happens.

I think I've pretty much exhausted most of the mods I can do without a proper tune and different cam. Now I'm just looking for weekend projects. I did order the MGW short throw shifter, so that should give me something to do. I think after that, I will just have to be satisfied for the time being.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 PM
elitebomberX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRx
dood, you're going to blow another motor... give it time. that $9800 would of made a nice down payment on a used Z. there's your extra power.
I don't want a Z haha. I'd rather just save up and buy a used Viper and hang onto my Vette. That way if my Corvette motor blows again, I can drive in the Viper. Pretty smart plan, no??

Quick Reply: Looking for bolt-on mod suggestions