C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPS for track wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS for track wheels

So I am having my new track wheels mounted with RA1s and wondered what do about the tire pressure sensors. Do you guys who track the C6 use them or do without?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 11-30-2010, 11:47 AM
m R g S r
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they're $150 or so for all four from tire rack, might as well just throw them on as long as they are compatible with your wheels.
if they are not compatible and have to be banded onto the inside of the wheel, then i would just skip them.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m R g S r
they're $150 or so for all four from tire rack, might as well just throw them on as long as they are compatible with your wheels.
if they are not compatible and have to be banded onto the inside of the wheel, then i would just skip them.
So no issues with being thrown into some type of reduced performance mode without them?

Gary
Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 561 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
So no issues with being thrown into some type of reduced performance mode without them?

Gary
Well....yes there is that problem. Check this thread, post 9. For detailed TPMS info check with BEZ06:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...rol-ussue.html
Old 11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
m R g S r
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)

Gary
no, without reprogramming my new sensors into my cars memory, it just displayed the last pressure that it read from the OEM wheels. i didn't have them reprogrammed for three weeks and it was fine the entire time, about 1500miles of driving.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 837 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by m R g S r
no, without reprogramming my new sensors into my cars memory, it just displayed the last pressure that it read from the OEM wheels. i didn't have them reprogrammed for three weeks and it was fine the entire time, about 1500miles of driving.
Yes, butt......you must never have driven it for more than "about 60 minutes" (for a 2005-2006) or "about 30 minutes" (for a 2007 and newer) - that's the time noted in the Owner's Manual that you have before you'll get a "Service Tire Monitor" message.

That 30/60 minutes is without shutting the ignition off. If you're driving along in Comp mode or with AH off when you get that message, the AH will automatically come back full on. However, you can stop the car, shut it down, restart, clear any messages, and you'll have another 30/60 minutes where you'll be able to run in Comp or with AH off until you get that message again.

Most guys that track the car don't want to have problems toward the end of a session by having the AH come back on if they're running in Comp or with AH off. Not only does the AH come back on, but it thinks you may have a tire problem, so it tries to protect you. When AH detects that you are driving aggressively with a possible tire problem, it will put on individual brakes when you start turn-in, and you'll have power pulled on you when you try to accelerate out of a corner - and you may have somebody behind you all up in your tail end!!!

Plus, it's very nice to know on the track if you're losing pressure half way through a session. With sensors, you can pull into the pits instead of continuing to drive hard until you end up in a tire wall.

I run sensors in my track wheels/tires.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To TPS for track wheels

Quick Reply: TPS for track wheels