C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 02:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

B&B PRT exhaust review

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Rafal
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vettro
Rafal - so how is this exhaust sound at idle under no pressure ?

I'll record a video in a couple. It sounds definitely louder than stock, doesn't drone. I hate to make a comparison like this, but it sounds the most exotic out of all exhausts for a Vette.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:40 AM
vettro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, I grew up in S. Boston - lived most of my life in Bridgewater and then moved to VT for five years before moving here to the Southport area to escape the dreaded Winters … You have changed my opinion yet again - lol… back on the PRT’s for the moment - waiting on your sound clip thank you
Old 03-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Rafal
Drifting

Originally Posted by vettro
BTW, I grew up in S. Boston - lived most of my life in Bridgewater and then moved to VT for five years before moving here to the Southport area to escape the dreaded Winters … You have changed my opinion yet again - lol… back on the PRT’s for the moment - waiting on your sound clip thank you
lol, I live off west broadway and dot ave. winter was actually really nice this year haven't even stepped in snow that covered my ankles.

I'm leaving my class in an hour. I'll take a video and upload to youtube shortly.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:00 AM
vettro
Racer

East 6th street most of my childhood...
Old 03-24-2012, 12:14 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

The HD sound is not like on a HD bike that is always there and really loud. On the the car its more like a lower version of the HD. Its there but not all the time, mostly on down shifts, and like one other said when you step on it people know. Idle is is nice and growly but not too loud. Just normal driving you will hear the exhaust. I also have thier X pipe with HFCs and headers so you hear my car. Start ups are my best part. As for the gains, think of it this way, they say the NPP gets 6 hp. Now I had the non NPP, so just the normal exhaust that had huge chambered mufflers. Alot different than the NPPs. So you go from a huge, and I mean twice the size, chambered mufflers to a smaller true straight thru, you not only lose some weight but you gain what the NPPs gain if not more. There is always gains when air flow is not interrupted which is why they use chambered maufflers.

I think if you heard them in person you would like them. But each has their own thing and some say its too loud and some say not loud enough. But even with the headers and HFCs, there is very little drone that is only at a certain rpm and eventhen its very light. My 370Z exhuast I put on kept me and the wife from having conversations in the car, not with this exhaust.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Rafal
Drifting

^ that's a thread about PRT, not NPP.

here is the start up of billy boat prt on my c6 with z06 manifolds and no cats:

recorded with my iPhone 4s.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:47 PM
vettro
Racer

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort appreciate it … Just not loud enough for me need a tad more noise at idle …
Old 03-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Rafal
Drifting

No problem. I'm going to get a road sound clip soon.

I don't remember if you wrote you already have an exhaust but having a bit more quiet exhaust at idle is a great sacrifice for not having an exhaust that drones terribly. Like I said, when I had my GHL race series, sometimes I couldn't wait to get home after a two hour cruise. It was awful. PRT doesn't drone and sounds amazing at wide open throttle. I'll never get a droning exhaust.

I sound like a dealer for PRT but that's just my personal feeling.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM
vettro
Racer

I'm listening - and I remember when I had stingers on my 03 Z06 I hated the drone put stock exhaust back on...

I wish there was someone local that had em on I could drive to to hear in person. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I hate buying exhaust I haven't heard with two ears
Old 03-24-2012, 05:24 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

you really can't judge volume from a video. My PRT's have a louder and more lopey sound than the NPP's with the valves open.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Rafal
Drifting

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
you really can't judge volume from a video. My PRT's have a louder and more lopey sound than the NPP's with the valves open.
do you have headers? stock?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM
vettro
Racer

Anyone have any experience with LG GT4's seems like a nice alternative and I am considering a set of LG LT super pro from stem to stern in 3 inch on my coupe ...
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 PM
crazyoldguy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 B&B PRT exhaust

Just had the B&B PRT exhaust installed on my 2006 auto convertible. Took it for a ride, including highway. It sounds awesome! When I start the car, it roars to life and rumbles. When I accelerate it gets really loud, but settles down at cruising speed, which is exactly what I was looking for. It's not that brain-rattling noise at all speeds. Everytime you step on the gas , it comes to life. It also has a de-accelerating sound, that sounds pretty awesome. I really love it. I spent about a year researching, listening to vettes at shows, listening to sound clips, and reading reviews. I always came back to the B&B. I love it. Can't wait to start it up in the morning! By the way, I asked the installer to drive it from the shop for me so I could hear it from the outside. It sounds awesome! Now I know what it sounds like to everyone else! I bought it from Zip Corvette for $1169, no tax, free shipping and 10 percent off.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:33 AM
c6blkout
Advanced

Nice review guys. Thanks for taking the time. This always seems like the toughest decision for people's first performance mod to the vette.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:44 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Very nice....good to hear you like the system and thankful for your business!!!!

Thanks,

Jim

Originally Posted by S'vette
Well I ordered the B&B PRT exhuast from SothernCarParts for $1100 w/free ground shipping about 5 days ago and its already here. Big thanks to SoutherCarParts for matching a competitors price and the quick delivery in a nicely packaged box. I have an auto and wanted a nice growl but no drone and I will say this exhuast does what it claims. The install was easy (I didnt do it myself but watched) and only took about 45 mins. Nice polished muffler and tips. The note of the exhaust at start up immediately tells you there is some power there. I had the non NPP exhuast as I knew I would be changing it and it was really quiet. Idle is just enough to hear it but not over do it. When you step on the gas the volume picks up and sounds like a big V8 beast should but not to the point of being too loud. While driving normal its there but not too quiet. When going WOT the exhaust comes alive and sounds really nice. Now I cruised at the 1500 to 2000 rpm range and between 65 and 75 and had no drone what so ever, just the note of the exhaust which when letting off of the gas you get that Harley gurggle, cool. Im completely stock except the PRT of course and maybe when I do headers and all ther might be some, but none right now. B&B made a nice exhaust and I dont know if I gained any HP, Im hoping maybe 10 or so but the looks and tone are more than worth it. I usually blast my stereo but not today I wanted to hear the exhaust. By the way, this has me using the paddles more so I can down shift to hear that gurggle more. Its a great exhaust IMO.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
Very nice....good to hear you like the system and thankful for your business!!!!

Thanks,

Jim
I bought mine from Jim too for my 12 GS vert. They sound simply killer with an otherwise stock exhaust. I'll post up some interior vids we shot yesterday with my buddies Gopro. PRTs ROCK.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Would love to see the video....please post

We have the B&B PRT systems at the links below

2009+ Billy Boat PRT Corvette C6 Exhaust
2005-2008 Billy Boat PRT Corvette C6 Exhaust
Corvette C6 Z06 PRT Exhaust

Thanks,

Jim

Originally Posted by Zap City
I bought mine from Jim too for my 12 GS vert. They sound simply killer with an otherwise stock exhaust. I'll post up some interior vids we shot yesterday with my buddies Gopro. PRTs ROCK.

Get notified of new replies

To B&B PRT exhaust review

Old 09-17-2012, 12:38 AM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
Would love to see the video....please post
Old 09-17-2012, 01:27 AM
1981turbota
Racer

I can't wait to put my PRT system on my Z06! Jim was excellent to work with.
James
Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 AM
Creedence85
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Prt

Originally Posted by S'vette
The HD sound is not like on a HD bike that is always there and really loud. On the the car its more like a lower version of the HD. Its there but not all the time, mostly on down shifts, and like one other said when you step on it people know. Idle is is nice and growly but not too loud. Just normal driving you will hear the exhaust. I also have thier X pipe with HFCs and headers so you hear my car. Start ups are my best part. As for the gains, think of it this way, they say the NPP gets 6 hp. Now I had the non NPP, so just the normal exhaust that had huge chambered mufflers. Alot different than the NPPs. So you go from a huge, and I mean twice the size, chambered mufflers to a smaller true straight thru, you not only lose some weight but you gain what the NPPs gain if not more. There is always gains when air flow is not interrupted which is why they use chambered maufflers.

I think if you heard them in person you would like them. But each has their own thing and some say its too loud and some say not loud enough. But even with the headers and HFCs, there is very little drone that is only at a certain rpm and eventhen its very light. My 370Z exhuast I put on kept me and the wife from having conversations in the car, not with this exhaust.
Old post, but I'm looking for an axel back for my 05 C6, with some nice start up sound, cruise sound, and step on it sound, and your review among others is leaning me towardtowards the PRT. You said you had a 370Z, I have a G35 sedan 6MT and drone is a huge problem on the Z/G so finally settled on a coupe mid pipe, stock muffler, and Z tube intake which is quiet at idle but at least gives the step on it sound with no drone. How would you compare the lack of drone in your Corvette with PRT to the Z stock? If it's close then I'm sold.

There aren't a lot of Corvettes in my area, Vancouver Canada, so hard to hear similar setups. It's odd because Lambos and McLarens are starting to feel like Corollas around here. I just got the car 2 weeks ago so haven't had the opportunity to make local connections through clubs etc.

Thanks and appreciate any insights.

Last edited by Creedence85; 07-16-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Title change

Quick Reply: B&B PRT exhaust review