C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Intermittent - Does Battery Fix Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:53 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Default Cruise Control Intermittent - Does Battery Fix Help?

I did a search on C6 cruise control problems and see the "disconnect battery fix" mentioned often. Before I try that I would like to ask if anyone was having intermittent cruise control operation and fixed it by disconnecting the battery? Mine will sometimes work for a while, then drop out, then start working again. Other times it will not work, or stop working until I shut off the engine and restart. It also seems to be worse when the temperature is below 55 so I am wondering if it may be voltage related.
My 2008 is almost three years old, so I am close to a preventative maintenance battery change anyway. I may just change the battery and see if the CC stops acting up.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:58 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't know that the battery disconnect is actually a fix but it can't hurt anything and doesn't cost anything. Just remember you will need to re-index the windows afterward.

Most cruise control problems seem to be related to the brake (or clutch in M6 cars) pedal switch adjustment issues OR in worst case scenarios the BCM needed to be replaced. If it were me, I would check the brake/clutch pedal answer by driving the car with cruise on and when it drops out just try lifting the brake/clutch pedal with your foot to see if it will re-engage. If it does then that is likely the problem. Get under the dash and adjust the switch. Good luck, hope it's easy.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:25 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
I don't know that the battery disconnect is actually a fix but it can't hurt anything and doesn't cost anything. Just remember you will need to re-index the windows afterward.

Most cruise control problems seem to be related to the brake (or clutch in M6 cars) pedal switch adjustment issues OR in worst case scenarios the BCM needed to be replaced. If it were me, I would check the brake/clutch pedal answer by driving the car with cruise on and when it drops out just try lifting the brake/clutch pedal with your foot to see if it will re-engage. If it does then that is likely the problem. Get under the dash and adjust the switch. Good luck, hope it's easy.
Also check the directional lights. An bad bulb can cause the cruise control to disconnect.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I must not be reading closely enough: thanks Rick and Les for those two tips. They're going in my files.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Yes, but...

doesn't seem to be perminent. Mine started working intermittently, then stopped altogether. Removing the batt. term. fixed immediately, then happens on & off, rem. batt. term. again works again. So there's obviously something more to it, but haven't heard any perm. solutions. I know that the other related issues are not happening, haven't given thought to prob. as it relates to clutch which may be valid.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T

Been there...
It is an automatic so no clutch. I used to think is was the brake pedal position indicator because if I pumped and lifted the brake pedal CC would start working again. This winter that has no effect. There is no manual adjustment for the pedal position indicator, it must be calibrated with a scantool.
I thought maybe it was tire pressures due to the cooler weather so I set the tires to 30 PSI at 45 degrees, but no effect. I am starting to think it is a bad electrical connection somewhere. I will go back and read the manual again and start trying to trace it down. When the CC disengages, flags are stored in the BCM for which input caused it to drop, but unlike the C5 I need a scanner to read them.

I am not going to spend $3-4K for a Tech 2 ScanTool. Is there a cheap scanner that will read the codes from all the C6 modules?

I have GMPP so I won't have to pay for the repair. At least if I have the codes I can steer the dealer tech in the right direction. If I just take it in and say “the cruise control is dropping out”, there is no telling what they might do.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:17 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Several years ago I had a Chevrolet truck that the cruise quit working on. I replaced the blinker stalk assembly and never had another problem. When the cruise quit working on my C6 I figured I'd try it again and replaced the blinker stalk assembly. Fixed it and haven't had another issue with it so far. Might be worth a try, they're pretty inexpensive.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 562 Likes on 322 Posts

Had a similar issue about 2 years ago. Intermitten operation then it quit completely. Dealer thought it was the stalk but that didn't fix things. After a full day and half they traced it to a faulty wire running into a harness. They traced it from start to finish and replaced the wire. They suspect the telescoping steering along with insufficient slack in the wire harness caused the issue. No problem for 2 years now.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:39 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by miami08VETTE
Had a similar issue about 2 years ago. Intermitten operation then it quit completely. Dealer thought it was the stalk but that didn't fix things. After a full day and half they traced it to a faulty wire running into a harness. They traced it from start to finish and replaced the wire. They suspect the telescoping steering along with insufficient slack in the wire harness caused the issue. No problem for 2 years now.
Like your avatar.

Get notified of new replies

To Cruise Control Intermittent - Does Battery Fix Help?

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Intermittent - Does Battery Fix Help?