C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual mode Exhaust Question for my LS2

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:17 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Dual mode Exhaust Question for my LS2

I have an 07 C6 with the dual mode exhaust system and NPP package. I want a lil more out of my exhaust and will be removing the H pipe to do a thermal plate soon so now is the time to do something. What can I do to get a lil more power and sound out of it.
thanks 4 the suggestions.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:51 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by studiovete
I have an 07 C6 with the dual mode exhaust system and NPP package. I want a lil more out of my exhaust and will be removing the H pipe to do a thermal plate soon so now is the time to do something. What can I do to get a lil more power and sound out of it.
thanks 4 the suggestions.
You only have one or the other, dual-mode exhaust (Z06 muffler) or the NPP package. The two are slightly different. You also have one or the other as a non-stock item on a 2007 C6.

The thermal plate (or any plate for that matter) will amount to next to nothing and I'd advise you skip it.

For a "lil more power and sound" I'd advise you do longtube headers. I have LG longtubes and the Z06 mufflers with the "muffler mod" and NPP in a box. I'm very happy with the setup.

San
Old 12-26-2010, 11:03 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oldmansan
You only have one or the other, dual-mode exhaust (Z06 muffler) or the NPP package. The two are slightly different. You also have one or the other as a non-stock item on a 2007 C6.

The thermal plate (or any plate for that matter) will amount to next to nothing and I'd advise you skip it.

For a "lil more power and sound" I'd advise you do longtube headers. I have LG longtubes and the Z06 mufflers with the "muffler mod" and NPP in a box. I'm very happy with the setup.

San

I dont have the z06 mufflers and pipes which are 3''. 07 cars only came with stock exhaust so I took system off of an 08 c6 with the flaps and added the NPP in a box to them so I can open and close the flap when I wanted to. Also from what I hear the z06 mufflers are quieter so most go with the 2" set up. I do agree headers might be the way to go. Can't I change the stock H pipe to a better flowing pipe?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:22 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I dont have the z06 mufflers and pipes which are 3''. 07 cars only came with stock exhaust so I took system off of an 08 c6 with the flaps and added the NPP in a box to them so I can open and close the flap when I wanted to. Also from what I hear the z06 mufflers are quieter so most go with the 2" set up. I do agree headers might be the way to go. Can't I change the stock H pipe to a better flowing pipe?
Z06 pipes are 3" which neck down to 2.5 at the muffler inlet.

I have a 2007 MN6 so I'm fully aware of the stock exhaust setup.

The Z06 mufflers (with the muffler mod) are not quieter than the NPPs. I've heard both. As previously stated I have the NPP in a box.

You can change the stock H pipe to an aftermarket pipe, which usually comes with headers. That's what I did.

San
Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I doubt that a different mid-pipe will give any noticeable power but might change the sound somewhat. You could always go with the '08 mid-pipe, it's an X instead of a H and should change the sound a little.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:26 AM
cooldog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
I doubt that a different mid-pipe will give any noticeable power but might change the sound somewhat. You could always go with the '08 mid-pipe, it's an X instead of a H and should change the sound a little.
I have one of those, if you're interested.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:55 AM
studiovette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cooldog
I have one of those, if you're interested.

Does it sound or feel different honestly or going with new headers would be my best bet for more power and sound?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:01 AM
cooldog
Instructor

Does it sound or feel different honestly or going with new headers would be my best bet for more power and sound?
Whatever difference the X-pipe would make over the H-pipe, would be pretty subtle, IMO, though since it was stock on my '08, I never heard my car with an H-pipe.

From what I've read, it might change the character of the exhaust note, more than anything else.

If you are after more sound under 3500rpm, but flaps open ALL the time is too much, get the NPP collars from Ed at Nakidparts.

Otherwise, yes, headers are what you want.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:22 AM
richgoat
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

if you want more sound AND power headers are the only way to go. I have Kooks headers, catless x pipe, and z06 mufflers and everyone LOVES the sound. Not too loud when it's open, and no drone when closed.

Plus, the added power of the headers (and tune) is nice...
Old 12-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I have NPP with headers (cammed) on my 05. Big difference in sound going to headers, and you will get a bump in hp too.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:18 AM
studiovette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Wass
I have NPP with headers (cammed) on my 05. Big difference in sound going to headers, and you will get a bump in hp too.

WOW !

is that the cam that makes the car idle like that? I'm not sure I want that

I'm hearing allot of talk about LG long tube headers. What can I expect to pay for good quality headers and install
thanks guys!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Yes...The cam.

My American Racing Headers were about 2k installed. Probably should get a tune also, so perhaps another $300. I think you could be looking at another 40 ponies and much better sound.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

What can I expect to pay for good quality headers and install
thanks guys!
Here's one choice
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...ices-ever.html
Old 12-27-2010, 12:36 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Long tube headers dude
Old 06-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Prostang4spd
7th Gear

Default Just installed z06 dual mode to base C6

I already had a x pipe from SLP that I got rid of ...louldmouth and loudmouth II... I couldn't tell any difference between them... both were loud...
I have a throaty sound now, haven't really had a chance to drive on interstate yet, later today I hope... love the look and they are not too loud with the flaps staying open right now.. waiting for the npp in a box to leave it quiet with the wife riding in it..

They z06 have the bigger tips at the rear, and I like the look of BIG...

Last edited by Prostang4spd; 06-06-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:08 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

you can do the "thermal plate" but get the thicker model it does stiffen the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Dual mode Exhaust Question for my LS2

Quick Reply: Dual mode Exhaust Question for my LS2