C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Radiator Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 PM
mlc331
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Radiator Removal

Long story short as possible. driving at night and made a U-turn. Didn't see the curb to my left and the drove over it

I completely bent and broke (6 pieces) the lower radiator support. Tried welding it... NO CHANCE. Can't re-bend all the pieces then weld them. The only other thing on the car that was damaged was the radiator and the fan. The fan has a crack in the lower portion of the shroud and the radiator is mangled on the driver side. Not bad, but enough to not hold fluid. Purchased the radiator and now waiting on the new lower support/skid.

I have a 4 post lift so the car is pretty easy to get under. The support is out and now looking to pull the radiator and the fan. Anybody got a clue as to has to start this? I'm hoping to do this from the bottom, but I can easily go at it from the top.

Anybody here that can throw some directions my way?

1. Fan or radiator come out first? Or can they be pulled together?
2. Does the condenser stay in the car?
3. If I go from the bottom do I have to evac the A/C system?

HELP!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

The radiator normally comes out the top. Remove the 4 x 10mm bolts holding the top plastic cover. Remove the 2 10mm bolts securing the fan to the radiator. Disconnect oil cooler lines from radiator if you have them. Unplug fan electrical plug. Disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses. Disconnect the overflow return line at the top/rear of the radiator on the passenger side. Fan slips out the bottom. You don't need to evac AC. The AC condensor is not bolted in place. Just lift it off the 4 brackets on the front of the radiator and let it hang there.
The following users liked this post:
aki-alex (05-24-2016)
Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 AM
mlc331
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, everything is out and waiting on parts. Really trying to find that lower radiator mount/skid. Big bucks to buy new. Can't fix mine... to many pieces and too many welds.

Anybody that might have a lower radiator support, please check in. Also looking for a fan/shroud.

Thanks for the help Motor..

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Radiator Removal

Quick Reply: HELP! Radiator Removal