C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 HP Limits

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:56 PM
ddepew
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 HP Limits

Anybody have a "valid" opinion on just how much HP an A6 can handle, without grenading it?

I just bought an '11 GS LT3 A6 Vert, and was hoping to TT it, but am afraid of blowing up the trans. JUST looking for a dramatic HP gain and NOT interested in tracking, or racing (well...), responsible on-ramping you know. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake by not buying a manual.

I did have an '06 Z51 A6 Vert with an Lingenfelter S/C, but sold it after about a year. The purchaser called me and told me he had to replace the tranny after he put @ 1500 miles on it.

I did do a search for this very topic but only found a thread from about 2 1/2 years ago. Any factory changes in the trans. since then?

Appreciate the knowledge and experience on this forum.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:04 PM
TrenAman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

600 will last for a little while with a good tune. But it is just a matter of time
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

My A6 held fine with about 615 whp and 546 wtq. We added a smaller blower pulley and were pushing around 680 whp but didn't dyno it. The A6 was running fine, but just for safety I bought a spare A6 from a forum member (thanks, XcessiveX) that was in great shape. I sent it to Century Transmission near Houston for their upgrades. I got it back and my tuner was tweaking it today during Test n Tune at Dallas Raceway...best of 9.75 at 139 mph.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:48 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TrenAman
600 will last for a little while with a good tune. But it is just a matter of time

Agreed-
Old 01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet C6
My A6 held fine with about 615 whp and 546 wtq. We added a smaller blower pulley and were pushing around 680 whp but didn't dyno it. The A6 was running fine, but just for safety I bought a spare A6 from a forum member (thanks, XcessiveX) that was in great shape. I sent it to Century Transmission near Houston for their upgrades. I got it back and my tuner was tweaking it today during Test n Tune at Dallas Raceway...best of 9.75 at 139 mph.
Killer run.
what upgrades do they do to the A6?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:52 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TrenAman
everything is just a matter of time
Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NYC6
Killer run.
what upgrades do they do to the A6?
From Century:

Complete rebuild with all new gaskets, seals, rings & filter. New pistons & retainers where needed.

Alto 6L80 PowerPacks® in the 4/5/6 & 3/5/Rev clutch packs, this transmission's weakest links. Alto's state of the art Red Eagle® friction material incorporated with additional plates added to the clutch packs for a major increase in capacity!
* Raybestos Stg 1 performance frictions in the 2-6 clutch pack. PowerPack® for the 2-6 coming soon.
* Raybestos or B&W h/d frictions in the low/rev clutch pack & 1/2/3/4 pack.
* Century Billet Intermediate Shaft (output carrier shaft-4/5/6 hub). Now that we've got the clutch packs holding better, the OEM powedered-metal shaft is twisting & breaking with increased H.P., the next weak link.
* Century reinforced clutch hubs for increased reliability.
* Century's proprietary valve body ugrades.
* Heat dissapating case coating.
* Consultation on your transmission "tune". A proper performance tranny is tune is very important for optimum transmission performance & longevity!
* 1 year warranty.

I skipped the intermediate shaft upgrade. It was less $$ than I thought it would be and great service...you can thank "The Subfloor" for the pioneering of this upgrade.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

I have almost 11,000 miles on My A6 Vette with 580rwhp with zero tranny problems!{guess I got a good one}
Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My A6 held fine with about 615 whp and 546 wtq. We added a smaller blower pulley and were pushing around 680 whp but didn't dyno it. The A6 was running fine
Originally Posted by 1bdasvt
I have almost 11,000 miles on My A6 Vette with 580rwhp with zero tranny problems!{guess I got a good one}
Any racing/track use and/or ultra aggressive street driving on these two transmissions as well?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Any racing/track use and/or ultra aggressive street driving on these two transmissions as well?
Yes, I probably put about 20 1/8 mile passes and 10-15 1/4 mile passes on the totally stock A6, and I drove it hard on the streets as well. The tune is very important and keeping temps cooled is important, so add an external cooler if you don't have one yet. The trans cooler is not an expensive mod...even in a Texas summer my temps only rise to about 175-180.

I believe I will enjoy the peace of mind of the Century upgrades to my A6. I will PM you the price I paid for the A6 upgrade....it was much less than it lists for on their web site.

Last edited by Silver Bullet C6; 01-23-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM
craftfox
Pro

DUDE, 9.70s, thats awesome. congrats. i think we should get a 6l80e trasn best et list going this summer. I cant wait.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I've done a little track,but have done alot of aggressive street driving{hey,,I live in L.A.}
Old 01-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by craftfox
DUDE, 9.70s, thats awesome. congrats. i think we should get a 6l80e trasn best et list going this summer. I cant wait.
I just picked up the car from RMS-MAN and got to looking at the time slips. There were two 9.7 passes (9.75 and 9.77), then 9.80, 9.83, 9.93, 9.95, 9.96. The other 3 passes were low 10s because the tune started off rich or the tires got blown away at the start. 7 out of 10 were 9 second passes. I just drove the car home and it is smooth, nice shifting. I like this A6 upgrade
Old 01-23-2011, 11:08 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

From Century:

Complete rebuild with all new gaskets, seals, rings & filter. New pistons & retainers where needed.

Alto 6L80 PowerPacks® in the 4/5/6 & 3/5/Rev clutch packs, this transmission's weakest links. Alto's state of the art Red Eagle® friction material incorporated with additional plates added to the clutch packs for a major increase in capacity!
* Raybestos Stg 1 performance frictions in the 2-6 clutch pack. PowerPack® for the 2-6 coming soon.
* Raybestos or B&W h/d frictions in the low/rev clutch pack & 1/2/3/4 pack.
* Century Billet Intermediate Shaft (output carrier shaft-4/5/6 hub). Now that we've got the clutch packs holding better, the OEM powedered-metal shaft is twisting & breaking with increased H.P., the next weak link.
* Century reinforced clutch hubs for increased reliability.
* Century's proprietary valve body ugrades.
* Heat dissapating case coating.
* Consultation on your transmission "tune". A proper performance tranny is tune is very important for optimum transmission performance & longevity!
* 1 year warranty.

I skipped the intermediate shaft upgrade. It was less $$ than I thought it would be and great service...you can thank "The Subfloor" for the pioneering of this upgrade.
Thank you kindly for the detailed info. I'll keep this in mind for the future.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
Thank you kindly for the detailed info. I'll keep this in mind for the future.
You definitely won't regret it if you're looking for something bulletproof as I put another 11 passes on it today bringing the total to 110 so far.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:13 AM
craftfox
Pro

lol, the average person does not measure longevity of there cars by numbers of passes. just sayin. I would say everytime i get in my car, on the street, it goes wide open through at least 2 gears 5-6 times. how many passes is that?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 AM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by craftfox

lol, the average person does not measure longevity of there cars by numbers of passes. just sayin. I would say everytime i get in my car, on the street, it goes wide open through at least 2 gears 5-6 times. how many passes is that?
Ever heard of stress testing Bill? You know that little ol' thing where a company will push a product far beyond the limits of normal everyday use as an overall measure of longevity?

Since one of your so-called "bulletproof" rebuilds let go in less than 150 miles (while driving it home from the shop) and then another one blew up on the dyno, you should be the last person to question anything to do with longevity.

Given that the clutches are the weak link in the 6L80E, what I'm doing is the absolute best kind of stress testing available. Granted, not everybody races their car but for someone looking to be reassured that the rebuild would last in their high HP daily driver, any reasonable person can conclude that if I can't break it at the track then they probably won't be able to either while only just driving it on the street.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 HP Limits

Old 01-24-2011, 01:58 PM
craftfox
Pro

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
Ever heard of stress testing Bill? You know that little ol' thing where a company will push a product far beyond the limits of normal everyday use as an overall measure of longevity?

Since one of your so-called "bulletproof" rebuilds let go in less than 150 miles (while driving it home from the shop) and then another one blew up on the dyno, you should be the last person to question anything to do with longevity.

Given that the clutches are the weak link in the 6L80E, what I'm doing is the absolute best kind of stress testing available. Granted, not everybody races their car but for someone looking to be reassured that the rebuild would last in their high HP daily driver, any reasonable person can conclude that if I can't break it at the track then they probably won't be able to either while only just driving it on the street.
both of those happened because I had a incompatant tuner, as soon as Roadrebel went back through it, trans was fine, but regardless. This is why i always tell people, spend all you want on the trans, but regardless, a stock trans will outlast a built trans if the tuner is not capable.

I disagree 100% on your track threory. I have NEVER had a trans break while at the track. not one. I freshened the trans that is in the car right before the shootout (i dont just race at local events) and it has been running solid ever since.

I am of firm belief you cant go wrong with a few of the builders out there, as the actual hardparts people are using are all the same. I have seen one of these trans come apart and go back together, in minutes. if you put one together wrong, it will simpley NOT work when installed. If you use good clutches, replace the 4-5-6 shaft, and put a big cooler on, I am of the firm belief that the trans will live or die based on the tune. there are no special tricks out there one shop does another cannot do.

silverbullets car is proof that a good tuner can change a car. That is a amazing car.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:28 PM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
one of your so-called "bulletproof" rebuilds.

Was that a jab at RPM ? I need to know Chris.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions
Was that a jab at RPM ? I need to know Chris.
I doubt it. I'm pretty sure Chris knows the tune has more to do with longevity than anything. I know who originally did Bill's car. I redid another car originally by the same guy and after only doing the engine tune, the trans began to shift properly.

Quick Reply: A6 HP Limits