C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Exhaust Swap Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:30 PM
ScottyRock155
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default 08 Exhaust Swap Help!

Ok, facts first, I own a 2008 Z-51 6-Speed NPP car.

Right now my engine is 100% stock. I want to add long tube headers and an X-pipe, and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep the NPP or replace it. I will be adding an intake and tune when I install the exhaust. I do plan on adding a cam in the future, but stopping there other than other simple bolt-ons.

Here is my question:

If I add Kook's long tube headers and an 3" X-pipe, do they make a version that will easily bolt up to my stock NPP exhaust? Are there any disadvantages to doing this? If at some point I decide to swap out the NPP to an aftermarket muffler, will any of them simply bolt up to the Kook's X-pipe?

I have researched and tried to understand this, but I want to get it right the first time. Thank You!

Scott
Old 02-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Absolutely

I have them on my car, an '05 Z-51 6MN, 1-3/4 headers (not gonna debate which to pick btwn 3/4 vs 7/8 your choice), then hi-flow cats, 3" x 3" X-pipe, 3" mids which reduce to 2.5" at the connect to your NPPs. Bolted up perfectly, did the entire install on jackstands in my garage solo. People debate this stuff all the time, but my tuner (whom I'd put up against anyone) & George at Kooks discussed my mods, sound very similar to yours & this is w/ a little knowledge of what I wanted is the setup we agreed on. With a 228/232 114LSA cam, ported FAST, Vararam, u/d pulley & 160* stat made 452rwhp/418rwtq on a stock heads/gaskets LS2. When you complete all the mods you will have a completely different car & open NPPs sound mean runnin' around, & flat azz scream at WOT. Highly recommend this setup, but would add a M2W contoller, although the stock setup w/ vacuum controlled by rpms will work fine. Depending on the cam, even same, will probably net you 465-475 bare min. A bigger cam you will close in on 500 mark.

Last edited by Mike V.; 02-12-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:49 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottyRock155
Ok, facts first, I own a 2008 Z-51 6-Speed NPP car.

Right now my engine is 100% stock. I want to add long tube headers and an X-pipe, and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep the NPP or replace it. I will be adding an intake and tune when I install the exhaust. I do plan on adding a cam in the future, but stopping there other than other simple bolt-ons.

Here is my question:

If I add Kook's long tube headers and an 3" X-pipe, do they make a version that will easily bolt up to my stock NPP exhaust? Are there any disadvantages to doing this? If at some point I decide to swap out the NPP to an aftermarket muffler, will any of them simply bolt up to the Kook's X-pipe?

I have researched and tried to understand this, but I want to get it right the first time. Thank You!

Scott
The pipe should neck down at the connection. It will fit. Any other exhaust should bolt right up. I hope this helps. Great Mods btw. I just ordered LG Superpros and can't wait to install them.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Keep in mind

There's a 3" x 2.5" X-pipe, which will do the same thing, that's why I was so specific 3" x 3" X-pipe to 3" mids which are reduced at connect at the axle over muffler connect. The gentleman's post is right on, all aftermarket for '08 & earlier C6 mufflers will mate the same.

Get notified of new replies

To 08 Exhaust Swap Help!

Quick Reply: 08 Exhaust Swap Help!