C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle shudders when decelerating from 60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:47 PM
DCWG
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vehicle shudders when decelerating from 60 mph

I have noticed that my 2009 corvette coupe shudders once it comes back to 60 mph. I'll be driving along 65-70 mph on the highway and when I slow down, the engine briefly shudders once it reaches 60 mph. What would be causing that to occur? I have not noticed this activity at any other interval. Thanks for your help, Dave
Old 03-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Auto tranny?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:12 PM
DCWG
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shudder Problem

yes, auto trans.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:35 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DCWG
I have noticed that my 2009 corvette coupe shudders once it comes back to 60 mph. I'll be driving along 65-70 mph on the highway and when I slow down, the engine briefly shudders once it reaches 60 mph. What would be causing that to occur? I have not noticed this activity at any other interval. Thanks for your help, Dave
My guesses based on 2 of my friends cars having similar issues...

1st was a toyota celica, turned out the brake rotors were warped pretty bad

2nd was a mitsubishi eclipse and the torque converter was going bad/out of balance.

Either way, since it's an 09 you should definitely still have your warranty and the dealership should be able to fix it
Old 03-19-2011, 10:40 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by simplyphp
My guesses based on 2 of my friends cars having similar issues...

1st was a toyota celica, turned out the brake rotors were warped pretty bad

2nd was a mitsubishi eclipse and the torque converter was going bad/out of balance.

Either way, since it's an 09 you should definitely still have your warranty and the dealership should be able to fix it
I was thinking rotors as well.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:45 AM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DCWG
It's likely the lockup clutch releasing in your torque converter, although unless it's an aftermarket Vigilante you typically should never be able to feel it.

In a stock 2009 Corvette the converter is set to unlock once you drop down to 58MPH while still in 6th gear. If you want to confirm that this is what's happening, repeat the test but have the car in Sport mode (but without touching the paddles). The release point is much lower in Sport mode (around 30MPH I think) so if the point at which the shudder happens is different between Drive and Sport mode, that's the cause of what you're feeling.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:36 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
It's likely the lockup clutch releasing in your torque converter,
Many cars not just Corvettes have a similar shudder when the TCC releases or engages. The lighter the car and the bigger the engine the more it would be noticed. A rubber band motor like the ones that come in regular passenger cars wouldn't have as much affect on them due to the significantly higher weight of the vehicle and the low torque of the engine.

Bill
Old 03-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
It's likely the lockup clutch releasing in your torque converter, although unless it's an aftermarket Vigilante you typically should never be able to feel it.

In a stock 2009 Corvette the converter is set to unlock once you drop down to 58MPH while still in 6th gear. If you want to confirm that this is what's happening, repeat the test but have the car in Sport mode (but without touching the paddles). The release point is much lower in Sport mode (around 30MPH I think) so if the point at which the shudder happens is different between Drive and Sport mode, that's the cause of what you're feeling.
Chris has forgotten more than most know about the A6

Now if only he was closer and had a Z06 rear for me

Get notified of new replies

To Vehicle shudders when decelerating from 60 mph

Quick Reply: Vehicle shudders when decelerating from 60 mph