C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball joint replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 PM
IrishC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint replacement question

I was under my car today and noticed my lower front right ball joint boot is torn and the grease is leaking out. GM said they don't offer just the ball joint. They said I would have to buy a whole lower a member. Which is ridiculious. I found one at NAPA for $115. I guess the question is would you trust a NAPA ball joint on your c6?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishC6
I was under my car today and noticed my lower front right ball joint boot is torn and the grease is leaking out. GM said they don't offer just the ball joint. They said I would have to buy a whole lower a member. Which is ridiculious. I found one at NAPA for $115. I guess the question is would you trust a NAPA ball joint on your c6?
I have not been down this road on my C6, but when I get back later (gotta run) I can check my factory C6 manaul on this.

I did do this, front top and bottom, on my Explorer, and they were supposed to be press in only, requiring buying the whole A-arms with ball joints installed; however, you can, and I did, find ones I could press in and did it in my garage with a hand press.

If I had to do it over, i would just buy the whole A-arm with ball joint installed, the pressing is a minor PITA, and I am a busy guy.

Anyway, NAPA sold two types of ball joints for my Ex, one Chinese junk and the other a MOOG part, I went with the MOOG.

I have picked up some bad parts from NAPA over the years, so I understand your skepticism.

Have you checked with Gene Culley at GM parts house?

I would go GM is the price was no more than 150% of the NAPA part.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:49 PM
IrishC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know of anything better than a pickle fork to use for breaking the lower ball joint loose?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishC6
Anyone know of anything better than a pickle fork to use for breaking the lower ball joint loose?
yes, just smack the knuckle with a hammer just below the nut on the side of the knuckle. might take a smack or two, but it will work. loosen the nut first, but leave it on the last few threads. you will see it drop down. the proper way is to use the press tool, but the hammer way works just fine. have done many, many this way without a problem. if you replace the ball joint, be sure of your press fit. would'nt want it coming loose during a high speed corner..................... cranky
Old 04-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by cranky
yes, just smack the knuckle with a hammer just below the nut on the side of the knuckle. might take a smack or two, but it will work. loosen the nut first, but leave it on the last few threads. you will see it drop down. the proper way is to use the press tool, but the hammer way works just fine. have done many, many this way without a problem. if you replace the ball joint, be sure of your press fit. would'nt want it coming loose during a high speed corner..................... cranky
I would be very pessimistic about using a BFH for pushing out press fit ball joints. Those meant to be held in with a c-clip - yes, pressed in - no.

I have lots of uses for a BFH, but they don't include pressed in ball joints. YRMV

Get notified of new replies

To Ball joint replacement question

Quick Reply: Ball joint replacement question