C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem when the Stoptech brakes get wet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:33 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Problem when the Stoptech brakes get wet!!!

Ok, soon after installing my Stoptechs I discovered that if I was too aggressive cleaning the wheels at a high pressure car wash the anti-lock would come on at parking lot speeds. Is that just water getting into the anti-lock hub sensor because of the design of the rotor's hat?

Now today was the first time I've driven in heavy rain, and the normally very firm pedal became mushy. The C6 still stopped but it took much more pedal pressure and travel.

What's going on?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

The ABS may actually kick in when driving in a heavy rain. There can be a lot less traction on a wet road just due to the water and if there is any oil mixed with it there could be even less. If you are hitting puddles with one of the wheels there may not be any traction at all on that wheel. You should be able to feel the wheel that is pulsing and should be able to feel the brake pedal vibrate as well when ABS is on. I can feel the ABS every time it comes on when ever I drive the Vette, the Malibu or the Tahoe.

When ABS kicks in the pedal will feel like it sinks a little lower while it is vibrating and it will take more brake force since you have less traction at one or more wheels. The wheels that still have traction have to provide more stopping power so you have to push harder on the pedal to boost the brake pressure at those wheels to get it.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 04-16-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:46 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The ABS may actually kick in when driving in a heavy rain. There can be a lot less traction on a wet road just due to the water and if there is any oil mixed with it there could be even less. If you are hitting puddles with one of the wheels there may not be any traction at all on that wheel. You should be able to feel the wheel that is pulsing and should be able to feel the brake pedal vibrate as well when ABS is on. I can feel the ABS every time it comes on when ever I drive the Vette, the Malibu or the Tahoe.

When ABS kicks in the pedal will feel like it sinks a little lower while it is vibrating and it will take more brake force since you have less traction at one or more wheels. The wheels that still have traction have to provide more stopping power so you have to push harder on the pedal to boost the brake pressure at those wheels to get it.

Bill
Bill I'm not getting any ABS in the rain, just a soft pedal.

I get crazy ABS after a power wash, at parking lot speeds.

In the dry they are perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem when the Stoptech brakes get wet!!!

Quick Reply: Problem when the Stoptech brakes get wet!!!