C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3, Headers, About to tune...Aftermarket intake or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:49 PM
bigred6906
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS3, Headers, About to tune...Aftermarket intake or not?

I have a 2010 GS with LG Street Series headers, NPP Exhaust, NGK TR55 plugs, MSD Wires and a 160* Thermostat. I still have the factory LS3 intake. I'm scheduled to get a tune this week. Question is, should I keep the factory LS3 intake or go with an aftermarket intake before the tune? I know that i would only gain about 10-15 hp with an aftermarket intake...I just want to hear some opinions...Who thinks it's worth it?
Old 04-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I would & then tune after

There's a lot of opinions on this, but I swear by Vararam, & when everybody chimes in, I don't give a hoot! Mine was easy to install, no leaks (nothing south of the filter ever, having cleaned or checked 2x yearly), & performs as promised, period! No problems to date, on car 4-5 years now. I will say, the addition of a FAST 102, along w/ LTs & CAI will wake up that LS3 w/ a final tune that will amaze you. Go for it all at once, 'cuz your gonna end up doing later anyway. My VR is gulping air on a mild cammed LS2 w/ the other mods mentioned & makes 450rwhp. An LS3 sans the cam will make 415-425rwhp, trust me you'll be please & happy you did it all at once!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V.
There's a lot of opinions on this, but I swear by Vararam, & when everybody chimes in, I don't give a hoot! Mine was easy to install, no leaks (nothing south of the filter ever, having cleaned or checked 2x yearly), & performs as promised, period! No problems to date, on car 4-5 years now. I will say, the addition of a FAST 102, along w/ LTs & CAI will wake up that LS3 w/ a final tune that will amaze you. Go for it all at once, 'cuz your gonna end up doing later anyway. My VR is gulping air on a mild cammed LS2 w/ the other mods mentioned & makes 450rwhp. An LS3 sans the cam will make 415-425rwhp, trust me you'll be please & happy you did it all at once!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The biggest advantage of the varaam is that allows the engine to breath 100% ambient air. The drag racers love it because during staging, unlike the varaam, most regular "cold air intakes" are breathing underhood air, just like stock.

The Haltech intakes do the same thing, but in a different way (which would be my preference.)

Most of the other intakes don't ensure this advantage.

Do a search and see what the pros/cons are.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 AM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you taking about intake or cold air intake?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:03 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

I like my K/N air filter. They have been in business for what 30 yrs evidently they must be doin something right. I cut a small hole in the shroud for additional outside air. It works well.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:21 AM
bigred6906
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunterwalker
are you taking about intake or cold air intake?
Either one...I'm just curious to know whether the consensus is that it's worth it or not. Will even the most inexpensive intake such as the airaid net better flow? Or are the Vararam and Halltechs the only ones that are worth it??
Old 04-18-2011, 10:11 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

On an LS3 I would just prop open the shroud and take advantage of the MUCH improved intake design over the LS2.

I would spend the money elsewhere for now.

The key with any intake is to get cool (ambient) air. Chris proved that the stocker gets the job done in his 9 second car.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3, Headers, About to tune...Aftermarket intake or not?

Quick Reply: LS3, Headers, About to tune...Aftermarket intake or not?