C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth OBDii - iPhone tools anyone using them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Bluetooth OBDii - iPhone tools anyone using them?

I see these are pretty cheap on Amazon. Before I start playing around with them, any success or failure stories out there on these devices?
Old 05-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Fissile
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an ELM327 clone and Torque for Android. It works (the "Boost" gauge is actually accelerator pedal position though). Not much else to say.

Because the extended PIDs are proprietary, it only has a handful of points to scan. It will also read diagnostic codes.

If you've got the money to spare, some scan tools out there will read just about anything from the ECU (ScanXL comes to mind http://www.palmerperformance.com/sup...m_enhanced.php).
Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bluetooth OBDII dongle I bought off of Fleabay for $20 never would pair to my iPhone.

I like the concept of getting scanning info on my iPhone rather than having a laptop on the passengers seat. Not sure how the battery life would be or such.

I saw the Dash Hawk a while ago. While not wireless, its small enough to be plugged in all the time. Not cheap.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I see these are pretty cheap on Amazon. Before I start playing around with them, any success or failure stories out there on these devices?
I've got a KiWi Wireless ODBII module and use the Rev program on my iPhone 3Gs to log info from my C6 Z06.

I've been very happy with the performance of this duo to perform basic data logging when at the track.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
I've got a KiWi Wireless ODBII module and use the Rev program on my iPhone 3Gs to log info from my C6 Z06.

I've been very happy with the performance of this duo to perform basic data logging when at the track.
Cool. Thanks.

Anything else? Anyone using the cheap obdii bluetooth solutions? I saw one for $49.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:51 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I've got an OT-2 and it's a real nice unit:

http://www.ot-2.com/

It connects wirelessly to my iPhone or my laptop. I usually just log data to the iPhone and then send myself an email with the data. Then I can open it on my laptop or desktop for viewing or analysis.

Bob
Old 05-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I've got an OT-2 and it's a real nice unit:

http://www.ot-2.com/

It connects wirelessly to my iPhone or my laptop. I usually just log data to the iPhone and then send myself an email with the data. Then I can open it on my laptop or desktop for viewing or analysis.

Bob
I bought an OT-2. It will not read the OBDII unit. Innovate customer service is Zero help - with an attitude. I do not recommend this product.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:15 AM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my bluetooth module from a site called Dealextreme, for $60 after shipping. It took a long while to get here, about five weeks, but I like it because it's small enough to just leave plugged in all the time.

The CD that came with it was snapped in half so I just downloaded some shareware and that worked fine. I also tried Torque on my friend's droid incredible and that worked fine as well. I am too cheap to pay for a data plan so laptop it is for now.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdwk
I bought my bluetooth module from a site called Dealextreme, for $60 after shipping. It took a long while to get here, about five weeks, but I like it because it's small enough to just leave plugged in all the time.

The CD that came with it was snapped in half so I just downloaded some shareware and that worked fine. I also tried Torque on my friend's droid incredible and that worked fine as well. I am too cheap to pay for a data plan so laptop it is for now.
What does it look like? How did you get it to pair to your iPhone?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 AM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/elm327-...r-dongle-16921

I just searched for nearby devices with the phone and it picked it right up. Might have had to put in a 0000 code, not sure. I don't with the PC.

Get notified of new replies

To Bluetooth OBDii - iPhone tools anyone using them?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth OBDii - iPhone tools anyone using them?