C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mushroomed lifter removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:33 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Mushroomed lifter removal

After removing the heads I found cylinder #1 intake lifter developed a serious attitude.

With the valley cover removed I can see that a small chunk of the lifter is gone if I rotate it:

Now, having to pull the cam (with the TT kit installed) is just adding to the misery of trying to find time to get my car on the road again and care for my fiancé (who just had cancer surgery).

I’m contemplating grinding on the mushroomed part of the lifter (that partly surrounds the roller on the lifter) with a dremel, while running a shopvac. Then sliding the lifter back up and out the lifter bore.

Then open the drain pan and pressure flush any remaining shavings/dust down and out with some solvent.

Is there a solvent that’s safe to run down thru the block?

Last edited by DSOMC6; 05-22-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:52 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Mineral spirits? Just a guess on my part.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:47 PM
The Bat Car
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Diesel fuel works well, but try and grab the damaged lifter with a vise grip firmly and try to pull it out. Do NOT force it to the point it score's the lifter bore. If it wont come then go the route your suggesting. The cam is junk already so dont worry about that but for the lifter to have gone away that far you have been pulling debris through the entire system and I would be concerned about main & ron journals. The lifter roller and the needle bearings are extremely hard metal so they do damage pretty quickly. The bearings are soft so they absorb a certain amount of debris but its your call. Good Luck! :thumbsup:
Old 05-22-2011, 09:19 PM
crainholio
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slide the cam forward, drop the lifter out the bottom. Stuff a rag in the cam's bay to prevent the lifter from dropping into the pan.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:28 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by The Bat Car
Diesel fuel works well, but try and grab the damaged lifter with a vise grip firmly and try to pull it out. Do NOT force it to the point it score's the lifter bore. If it wont come then go the route your suggesting. The cam is junk already so dont worry about that but for the lifter to have gone away that far you have been pulling debris through the entire system and I would be concerned about main & ron journals. The lifter roller and the needle bearings are extremely hard metal so they do damage pretty quickly. The bearings are soft so they absorb a certain amount of debris but its your call. Good Luck! :thumbsup:
Unfortunately I can't pull the lifter up even with pliers (don't want to score lifter bore) because of a slight spreading at one side of the skirt around the roller. Hense the reason I contemplated grinding it.

Once I get the lifter out I can get a better look at that cam lobe. From what I can see thus far the lobe doesn't look gouged/wore down. If I can get the lifter out I can better determine if the cam is toast.

The lifter looks like it broke in one .250x.250 piece. The missing piece is probably at the bottom of the oil pan. The roller is still intact on the lifter. The lifter mushroomed at the roller just enough to keep it from sliding back up into the bore.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:44 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by crainholio
Slide the cam forward, drop the lifter out the bottom. Stuff a rag in the cam's bay to prevent the lifter from dropping into the pan.
Yeh that's the other (and maybe only) option. dificulty is compounded with the tubing, lines etc from the TT kit.

Last edited by DSOMC6; 05-22-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:00 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

I'm thinking a product similar to this to flush out any debri from grinding on the lifter?:
http://www.mightyautoparts.com/produ...s_vs7_oil.html

Last edited by DSOMC6; 05-23-2011 at 01:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mushroomed lifter removal

Quick Reply: Mushroomed lifter removal