C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halltech Super Bee MF103 for the LS3 is here! Installed pics and video

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 03:12 AM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Originally Posted by Halltech
Hey Craigster05, you should not cut the shroud directly below the filter or you will get turbulence and poor MAF metering. This is why ram air intakes surge.
Not sure which "Ram Air" you're referring to, but my Vararam equipped car idles perfectly.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:59 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV
Not sure which "Ram Air" you're referring to, but my Vararam equipped car idles perfectly.
If you have an LS2 it will. LS3 maybe not
Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Jim
This filter is an oiled filter correct? Do you also have a non oiled filter option? Just curious. When will you start shipping? Thanks.

Last edited by DRLC5; 06-02-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by TommyV
If you have an LS3, can I ask...do you run a front plate??

Originally Posted by tomiboy
If you have an LS2 it will. LS3 maybe not

The Vararam in my LS2 was amazing, gains and increased throttle response. Worked perfectly with FAST, and then with L92 heads/L76 intake, 228/232 cam, headers, etc.

On my 2008 LS3, a different story...Im not going to get into design, construction, etc...not looking to bash it, but these are the facts that I have been dealing with:

2008 Coupe with just headers and Vararam and we cannot get the off idle, or steady state low rpm cruise to be smooth. There is a stumble, surging at around 1400-1600 rpm and if you try to slightly accelerate the car hesitates before coming back. At moderate to WOT everything is fine. We did a MAF calibration, tried different MAFs, tried rescaling the MAF tables, adding the Honeycomb diffuser that Halltech used previously...NOTHING fixes it EXCEPT removing the Vararam and going back to the stock intake. If you search, you can see that this problem affects almost all of the aftermarket intakes on certain LS3s and LS7s...it plagued the Honker - they came up with a diffuser plate - Halltech had the honeycomb filter, etc - so I am not saying Vararam is the ONLY one, but in my case, on my car, I have the similar experience of the surging and turbulence issue reported my many, and Im willing to try the products to see if they work as stated...until I find one, the stock intake simply works better for my engine....your results may vary of course.

My thoughts? The Vararam filter or design for the LS3...maybe even the fact that I am running a front plate partially blocking the intake is just causing too much turbulence around the MAF......I have worked with all my buddies and picked everyone's brain (Chuck CoW, SpinMonster, Joe_G etc) and the only fix has been removing the Vararam. I sent a message off to Vararam but havent heard back from them yet, but at this point, Im willing to try the Halltech as I feel the design and install requirements will work in MY case, and the quality, look, and fitment is more appealing to me. Of course it is still a $500 gamble, well more like $1000, because if I eat the cost of the Vararam and the Halltech is not any better, Im back to stock and at least I can offer some diagnostic information or logging to others that may be more inclined to chase the issue if they are having it as well.

Last edited by Craigster05; 06-24-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:29 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Jim
Have these shipped yet? Thanks.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 585 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Craigster05
If you have an LS3, can I ask...do you run a front plate??

The Vararam in my LS2 was amazing, gains and increased throttle response. Worked perfectly with FAST, and then with L92 heads/L76 intake, 228/232 cam, headers, etc.

On my 2008 LS3, a different story...Im not going to get into design, construction, etc...not looking to bash it, but these are the facts that I have been dealing with:

2008 Coupe with just headers and Vararam and we cannot get the off idle, or steady state low rpm cruise to be smooth. There is a stumble, surging at around 1400-1600 rpm and if you try to slightly accelerate the car hesitates before coming back. At moderate to WOT everything is fine. We did a MAF calibration, tried different MAFs, tried rescaling the MAF tables, adding the Honeycomb diffuser that Halltech used previously...NOTHING fixes it EXCEPT removing the Vararam and going back to the stock intake. If you search, you can see that this problem affects almost all of the aftermarket intakes on certain LS3s and LS7s...it plagued the Honker - they came up with a diffuser plate - Halltech had the honeycomb filter, etc - so I am not saying Vararam is the ONLY one, but in my case, on my car, I have the similar experience of the surging and turbulence issue reported my many, and Vararam is doing nothing to address it - others are and Im willing to try the products to see if they work as stated...until I find one, the stock intake simply works better for my engine....your results may vary of course.

My thoughts? The Vararam filter or design for the LS3...maybe even the fact that I am running a front plate partially blocking the intake is just causing too much turbulence around the MAF...and I have the logs to prove it...I have worked with all my buddies and picked everyone's brain (Chuck CoW, SpinMonster, Joe_G etc) and the only fix has been removing the Vararam. I sent a message off to Vararam but havent heard back from them yet, but at this point, Im willing to try the Halltech as I feel the design and install requirements will work in MY case, and the quality, look, and fitment is more appealing to me. Of course it is still a $500 gamble, well more like $1000, because if I eat the cost of the Vararam and the Halltech is not any better, Im back to stock and at least I can offer some diagnostic information or logging to others that may be more inclined to chase the issue if they are having it as well.
If returning to the stock intake decreases the surging, stumbling, etc. then the Super Bee will Bee your intake.

Did you see Jason Harding's statement above regarding the Stage 3 GM cam with 40 degrees overlap? The Super Bee has been Katech's choice for a couple of years now on all of their street and track builds. Our intake is the standard bearer on their engine dyno cells for all of the max power runs. That should say something when they have tested most every intake made.

You are not going to be a guinea pig, since this intake has been sold now since 2009, with only a few going to LS3s. I have stayed away from the LS3 market thinking that most owners would not want to tune their car. Now we have a Super Bee that requires ZERO TUNING.
KATECH'S STATEMENT REGARDING SURGING WITH OUR INTAKE, OH, AND IT HELPED SET THEIR ALL TIME RECORD FOR NA
Old 06-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by DRLC5
Jim
This filter is an oiled filter correct? Do you also have a non oiled filter option? Just curious. When will you start shipping? Thanks.
We designed the filter originally in 2006, and then redesigned it with even more filter media. K&N got our contract and has been incredible for our company, meeting our growing needs. They are using the same media that they use on all of their filters, which is an oiled cotton gauze. It is fully cleanable for life.

We actually had K&N test the dry filter from AEM, who they now own, vs. their filter, vs. our previous S&B media. Their media had 15 to 25% better flow. Our filter has twice the surface area of stock and the VR for much lower resistance to flow.

Interestingly, they have their own intake for the Z06, but our old Killer Bee II cleaned their clock two years ago with 15/14 vs. their 13/10. The Super Bee uses the same filter as the KB2 but has many other attributes discussed above that make it the only choice for the LS3.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 06-03-2011, 04:57 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

We designed the filter originally in 2006, and then redesigned it with even more filter media. K&N got our contract and has been incredible for our company, meeting our growing needs. They are using the same media that they use on all of their filters, which is an oiled cotton gauze. It is fully cleanable for life.

We actually had K&N test the dry filter from AEM, who they now own, vs. their filter, vs. our previous S&B media. Their media had 15 to 25% better flow. Our filter has twice the surface area of stock and the VR for much lower resistance to flow.

Interestingly, they have their own intake for the Z06, but our old Killer Bee II cleaned their clock two years ago with 15/14 vs. their 13/10. The Super Bee uses the same filter as the KB2 but has many other attributes discussed above that make it the only choice for the LS3.
Sounds good. I cant wait to recieve mine. I just installed a V Max CNCd TB this should work well together.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Jim
Have these shipped yet? Thanks.
One shipped Wednesday. Our customer has a broken knee cap and cannot drive. He has a friend helping him get it installed this weekend.

Our mold is running today. We pick up 24 more on Monday, with 13 backorders to fill. All should ship by Tuesday latest.

Jim
Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Sounds good. I cant wait to recieve mine. I just installed a V Max CNCd TB this should work well together.
I got a call from Tom Wong of Wong's Performance in WA state last night at 9:30 PM. Tom was working on installing our Super Bee CF112 Carbon Limited Edition intake on a customer's Z06 and did not have our MAF transfer curve handy for the tuning. The SBCF112 is our only intake that must have the MAF code updated. Once he reflashed the MAF code, here is what he emailed me:

"Jim this was a modded Z with a cam, heads and headers. The customer added a FAST 102 and a NW 102, we ended up with 560+ at the tires. The CF112 replaced the old Killer bee that I had installed a couple years ago. We gained a considerable amount under the curve with the combination."
Old 06-03-2011, 06:55 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Jim - I have 08 LS3 w/ Killer Bee I & Hive w/ VMax & no tune. Runs GREAT!!!

Would there be any benefit to upgrading to this most recent design? Would the only difference be the tube or would the filter need changing as well due to a larger inlet?

Thx
Old 06-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ///DarkSide\\\
Jim - I have 08 LS3 w/ Killer Bee I & Hive w/ VMax & no tune. Runs GREAT!!!

Would there be any benefit to upgrading to this most recent design? Would the only difference be the tube or would the filter need changing as well due to a larger inlet?

Thx
Doubtful that there would be any improvement in power. They both use the same 4.5" velocity stack filter, same Beehive. We do have an upgrade path for KB2 folks if they want. I know several shops that have found more power, but whether that is from tuning or just increase flow is hard to say.

http://www.halltechsystems.com/product_p/sbmf103u.htm
Old 06-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Updated Installation Video

This installation video assumes you have taken off your stock induction system and moved the MAF sensor from the stock intake to the Halltech Super Bee MF103.

We will have another video next week showing how that is done, but if you can remove two screws and move the MAF meter, then put them into the Super Bee....you get the point.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:12 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Thanks Jim hopefully mine will ship by Tuesday..Getting hyped up.

One shipped Wednesday. Our customer has a broken knee cap and cannot drive. He has a friend helping him get it installed this weekend.

Our mold is running today. We pick up 24 more on Monday, with 13 backorders to fill. All should ship by Tuesday latest.

Jim
Old 06-05-2011, 11:23 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Anyone get this unit installed? If so feedback. Thanks. Also Jim does your tune include the Trans tune for the A6?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Anyone get this unit installed? If so feedback. Thanks. Also Jim does your tune include the Trans tune for the A6?
Only two so far. One shipped the other was installed here. The rest go out Monday.

Jim
Old 06-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

When your LS3 is at idle to around 1/3 throttle position, you are in closed loop, where the MAF reported airflow is corrected continuously by the O2 sensors to keep the air fuel ratio at 14.7:1 (stoichiometric for E0). Unfortunately for us, GM keeps the pure gasoline stoich instead of correcting it to 14:1, which is the chemically correct burn stoich for E10.

Anyway, this first video shown here has a Dashhawk monitoring the real time LTFT averages (top) starting with a virgin stock 2010 C6 LS3 that came into our garage. The LTFTs start out ok, but are all over the place trying to keep the stochiometric value. Swings from +4% to -9% which is really unusual for an LS3, but the idle remains pretty steady.

In order to throw a lean code, one bank or both would have to have 25% unreported airflow, which would show up at +25%, and happen twice before the lean codes pop. That can ONLY happen if you actually have a vacuum leak behind the MAF or extreme turbulence from airflow that buffets during closed throttle.

The first 2 minutes or so is stock, then we edit out the Killer Bee II and go for the Super Bee MF103 LTFTs. BETTER THAN STOCK BY FAR. CHANCE OF A CODE. ZERO.

Since we did test the Killer Bee II made for the Z06 in the middle of the video,we wanted to show the results here as well. It was edited out since the whole purpose of the video was to promote the all Halltech Super Bee MF103 in plastic, now available.

The Killer Bee II LTFT Averages-stock LS3:

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech Super Bee MF103 for the LS3 is here! Installed pics and video

Old 06-05-2011, 10:23 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Nice and smooth LTFT. Will or can you send me a tracking number if mine ships tomorrow? Thanks.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Nice and smooth LTFT. Will or can you send me a tracking number if mine ships tomorrow? Thanks.
It should ship tomorrow or Tuesday latest.

Tracking numbers go out automatically.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:36 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should ship tomorrow or Tuesday latest.

Tracking numbers go out automatically.
Wow you werent kidding when I talked intakes( see i did keep hush hush about it) with you over the phone about 5 weeks ago when you said they should be available the first week of june. From personal experience usually when some one says a new part by june, its usually not available til september at the earliest.

So how much is the intake going for?

Last edited by paisa427; 06-05-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Halltech Super Bee MF103 for the LS3 is here! Installed pics and video