C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My E85 experience - BASE LS3 MNL

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:13 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF-Vette
Can I run the E85 on a stock tune though?
No. The stoic values are WAY different than gasoline, so a tune is neccassary to adjust for the proper A/F.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello all!

If the weather holds up I will be going to the track Wednesday night! I don't have a stock baseline run but, we all know what a stock car can roughly run. I am mainly focused on trap speed sense I'm on stock run-flats however, that doesn't mean I wont be trying to get a good 60'

I will post a video and time slip.

Any suggestions on what to do? launching RPM? From what I have been reading it's best to feather the clutch out of 1,500rmp when going from a dig. Does that sound right?

WISH ME LUCK!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by IsuckBad45
Hello all!

If the weather holds up I will be going to the track Wednesday night! I don't have a stock baseline run but, we all know what a stock car can roughly run. I am mainly focused on trap speed sense I'm on stock run-flats however, that doesn't mean I wont be trying to get a good 60'

I will post a video and time slip.

Any suggestions on what to do? launching RPM? From what I have been reading it's best to feather the clutch out of 1,500rmp when going from a dig. Does that sound right?

WISH ME LUCK!
Here is the best advice in one place that you will get. Study it and perform the clutch fluid procedures.

http://rangeracceleration.com/

Have fun!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:15 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Here is the best advice in one place that you will get. Study it and perform the clutch fluid procedures.

http://rangeracceleration.com/

Have fun!

Thanks for the link. I have been doing the ranger method on my clutch fluid since day one

I will go over his 1/4 mile method now. Do you think his rules still apply for the LS3 in regards to launching?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the link. I have been doing the ranger method on my clutch fluid since day one

I will go over his 1/4 mile method now. Do you think his rules still apply for the LS3 in regards to launching?
Oh yes.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:10 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Alright guys - I went to the track last night and pretty much sucked it up in regards to "Launching" I feel I did a great job shifting as I barked them going into 3rd

I was getting great times compared to a stock car if they were running the same 60' times as me. My 60' was so horrible... my best was a 2.28

- Results -

- Cliff Notes -

1) Outside Temp was 90 degrees on time of run
2) High humidity (Indiana)
3) 60' was not good at all 2.28
4) Factory Run-Flats
5)Factory car other than E85 Tune

Last edited by LT1_E85_Corvette; 07-07-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Mid 12's at 118 is just great. Be proud.

Get some drag radials and some cooler weather and say "Hello Mr. 11 second slip!".

Now your forum name is another story....
Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Mid 12's at 118 is just great. Be proud.

Get some drag radials and some cooler weather and say "Hello Mr. 11 second slip!".

Now your forum name is another story....
Cant change the name now Kinda stuck with it

Thanks for your comments! I just need to learn how to launch a RWD car. Every time I either bogged it out or spun all the way through 1st. Once I get some new tires I will go back and focus on my 60'.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Cant change the name now Kinda stuck with it

Thanks for your comments! I just need to learn how to launch a RWD car. Every time I either bogged it out or spun all the way through 1st. Once I get some new tires I will go back and focus on my 60'.
Takes practice. I have a bunch of 2.x's in my early career...I just looked at my spreadsheet of runs!

Seat time and hooking up with someone knowledgeable at the track is invaluable.

Oh...if you contact a moderator you can change your name. 16Again went to TurboBob and back again!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

I'm thinking about posting my time in a new thread. I want more feedback from people

I just submited a name change request!

What you think about "LS3_E85_Corvette"?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I'm thinking about posting my time in a new thread. I want more feedback from people

I just submited a name change request!

What you think about "LS3_E85_Corvette"?
MUCH better. You will become an E85 expert with that name!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:46 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Rock On!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:38 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Almost 119mph in that heat definitely backs up your gains. Very nice.

An easy 11 second run with a good launch.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:14 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Almost 119mph in that heat definitely backs up your gains. Very nice.

An easy 11 second run with a good launch.
Thanks! I just figured out what I was doing wrong when launching. I really dissected the Ranger launching breakdown and now want to go back out and get my 11 second pass!

I know it's lame but I did these passes with 3/4 tank of gas as well. I'm going back with 1/4 or even 1/8th to help with weight
Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

118 in the heat, that's the beauty of E85, it cools and soothes

We have been playing with it here (E85 ) for about three years, used to have to travel 200 miles to get it but it was worth while. I know you guys might not be familiar with 5.0 Mustang engines but they blow head gaskets and crack blocks in extream boosted application. We were bending rods and making 600 rwhp with a stock bottom end and Dart Sr steel heads. My biz partner switched his 930 Turbo to EFI and runs it on E85, he adds a little Marvel Mystery oil to each fill up to help prevent some of the dryness the alcohol brings. Finally my sales guys 2007 Trailblazer SS knocker 4 tenths and gained 3 mph with the switch. My 11 GS will be making the switch, I want to make some baseline passes at the track first, then an airfilter swap, E85 and a tune and finally a cam, hope to crack 500 rwhp and trap 130mph with the stock non NPP exhaust... (We'll see)
Old 08-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Samie
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done a little reserch on other sites and it looks as if you could raise the CR to about 14:1 all else could remain the same and fuel mileage would only drop about 5%. The only noticeable difference should be horsepower and torque. The downside to this approach would be that there is no switching back if you can't find e85. Has anyone consulted a GM engineer about this stuff--I'm sure they've done the reserch and hve the answers. They should put an E85 pump at every dealership!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Samie
I've done a little reserch on other sites and it looks as if you could raise the CR to about 14:1 all else could remain the same and fuel mileage would only drop about 5%. The only noticeable difference should be horsepower and torque. The downside to this approach would be that there is no switching back if you can't find e85. Has anyone consulted a GM engineer about this stuff--I'm sure they've done the reserch and hve the answers. They should put an E85 pump at every dealership!
Sounds interesting. I have not spoken to a engineer on this topic however, I'm sure someone has. If it didn't come factory I'm sure they wont be in it's favor. E85 is growing! I found that speedway is now selling E85 at over 10% of there gas stations in Indiana!

Get notified of new replies

To My E85 experience - BASE LS3 MNL

Old 08-09-2011, 02:44 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just saw this thread and figured I would chime in with my thoughts and experience running E85 for 2 years and almost 25k mileage of daily driving on 2005 Subaru Legacy GT in Colorado year around. E85 is extremely knock resistant, obviously, I never had fine learning knock at any load/rpm while running that type of fuel according to taking learning views almost daily the whole time I ran E85. I was constantly logging using romraider as well, I had a dedicated lap top that never left the car; too bad ecuflash/romraider doesn’t support the vette.

To get the car to run on E85, all you had to do was rescale fuel injector to be IIRC .6971 of the value of the injector size you were currently tuned for and also make a comparable change to open loop fueling table across all the cells in the table and the car would run without issue. To get power out of running e85 you need to alter base timing and timing advance tables in culmination by upping the boost as long as your turbo was still efficient in doing so and not just blowing hot air because it was out of its efficiency range. It’s been 2+ years since I’ve looked at a tune in ecuflash software for a suby so forgive the sketchy details. I could look up the specifics regarding the e85 conversion on my legacy thread if anyone is interested, there was a great diy regarding the tuning changes using ecuflash.

As far as my review goes I was able to go from running 21psi on crap 91octane to 25.5psi on E85 without knock. Gained a drastic improvement in torque, spool improved by roughly 100rpm. Between my pump gas tune and e85 tune it was a night and day difference, I also had the benefit of having an e85 station in my neighborhood so filling up wasn’t an issue. The bad associated with E85, were that I fouled a spark plug over the course of running the fuel, an o2 sensor in the headers and also had an injector fail. These components and cats in the exhaust are known to foul/fail significantly sooner running on e85. As for cold starting you won’t notice an issue un less temps are below 30. At 20 degrees or so I would need to crank a couple times to get the car started. Temps below 20 may take you a minute or two of cranking to get the car started, 0 degrees or below is questionable whether you would be able to start your car.

For most running their vettes as garage queens putting 3-5k a year on it, especially boosted I would very much be in favor of running e85 and you will likely never run into cold starting issue. For those daily driving their vettes I would still recommend e85 but keep in mind there are going to be some additional maintenance costs associated with running e85. Nothing huge but there are some cons to e85 aside from the loss in gas mileage, which was the least of my or anyone’s concern who runs e85 for performance.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:31 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
Just saw this thread and figured I would chime in with my thoughts and experience running E85 for 2 years and almost 25k mileage of daily driving on 2005 Subaru Legacy GT in Colorado year around. E85 is extremely knock resistant, obviously, I never had fine learning knock at any load/rpm while running that type of fuel according to taking learning views almost daily the whole time I ran E85. I was constantly logging using romraider as well, I had a dedicated lap top that never left the car; too bad ecuflash/romraider doesn’t support the vette.

To get the car to run on E85, all you had to do was rescale fuel injector to be IIRC .6971 of the value of the injector size you were currently tuned for and also make a comparable change to open loop fueling table across all the cells in the table and the car would run without issue. To get power out of running e85 you need to alter base timing and timing advance tables in culmination by upping the boost as long as your turbo was still efficient in doing so and not just blowing hot air because it was out of its efficiency range. It’s been 2+ years since I’ve looked at a tune in ecuflash software for a suby so forgive the sketchy details. I could look up the specifics regarding the e85 conversion on my legacy thread if anyone is interested, there was a great diy regarding the tuning changes using ecuflash.

As far as my review goes I was able to go from running 21psi on crap 91octane to 25.5psi on E85 without knock. Gained a drastic improvement in torque, spool improved by roughly 100rpm. Between my pump gas tune and e85 tune it was a night and day difference, I also had the benefit of having an e85 station in my neighborhood so filling up wasn’t an issue. The bad associated with E85, were that I fouled a spark plug over the course of running the fuel, an o2 sensor in the headers and also had an injector fail. These components and cats in the exhaust are known to foul/fail significantly sooner running on e85. As for cold starting you won’t notice an issue un less temps are below 30. At 20 degrees or so I would need to crank a couple times to get the car started. Temps below 20 may take you a minute or two of cranking to get the car started, 0 degrees or below is questionable whether you would be able to start your car.

For most running their vettes as garage queens putting 3-5k a year on it, especially boosted I would very much be in favor of running e85 and you will likely never run into cold starting issue. For those daily driving their vettes I would still recommend e85 but keep in mind there are going to be some additional maintenance costs associated with running e85. Nothing huge but there are some cons to e85 aside from the loss in gas mileage, which was the least of my or anyone’s concern who runs e85 for performance.
I have heard wonders E85 does to Turbo cars. I was just about to tune my LNF cobalt SS turbo on E85 before I went to the vette.

As for your plug and injector issues I will be sure to note this in retrospect to my E85 experience logging. I am hoping Chevy's injectors will have a longer life than what you experienced. Were pump gas Subaru having this issue in regards to injectors and plugs and what year was your Subaru also, were the injectors stock? If I can open my memory banks I believe I have heard of Subaru having fouling issues with plugs do to the flat motor design?

To any extent this is fantastic information and thanks for contributing to my thread!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Samie
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a lot of info out there on ethanol as a fuel. This is an old website but has a lot of interesting info on ethanol and the effect it has on the motors he used it in. http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id35.html

Quick Reply: My E85 experience - BASE LS3 MNL