C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 8 3/4 pattern check

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:33 AM
norv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 8 3/4 pattern check

In checking the ring and pinion gear pattern on a 4500 mile unit out of a wreck, we're using a 30 spline mainshaft and rotating clockwise with me jamming a red shop rag between the ring gear and the case as hard as I can for resistance. The drive side of three teeth, 120 degees apart have been coated with yellow GM gear marker. Now the pattern is biased toward the toe (inside diameter) not a little, a lot! and struck deep into the throat rather than a centered broad brush wipe or anything resembling a centered elongated oval. In the hope of creating more ring gear resistance I could lever on the ring gear with a dowel or piece of wood trim, making the main shaft more difficult to turn (in hopes of influencing the pattern). The way this pattern looks, I can't buy the diff. Any ideas from forum informants in the know? P.S. No decernable gear backlash, case innards sqweeky clean.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by norv
In checking the ring and pinion gear pattern on a 4500 mile unit out of a wreck, we're using a 30 spline mainshaft and rotating clockwise with me jamming a red shop rag between the ring gear and the case as hard as I can for resistance. The drive side of three teeth, 120 degees apart have been coated with yellow GM gear marker. Now the pattern is biased toward the toe (inside diameter) not a little, a lot! and struck deep into the throat rather than a centered broad brush wipe or anything resembling a centered elongated oval. In the hope of creating more ring gear resistance I could lever on the ring gear with a dowel or piece of wood trim, making the main shaft more difficult to turn (in hopes of influencing the pattern). The way this pattern looks, I can't buy the diff. Any ideas from forum informants in the know? P.S. No decernable gear backlash, case innards sqweeky clean.
contact RPM TRANSMISSIONS a forum vendor. tj or rodney would be glad to talk to you about this. they are top notch driveline experts on these. click on their link on the left side of the page.

Quick Reply: Z06 8 3/4 pattern check