C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Tonz-A-Fn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filters

Two questions in regards to air filters:

1. What is the best air filter system for a 2007 C6? I was thinking K&N.

2. Where can I pick up/order an Interior Filter? Its time to change it out.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Best....just a drop in to the OEM filter case

1 - I vote the OEM paper filter filters best.

K&N is used by many who love it.
The only K&N issue being the filters excess oil seeping onto the MAF wire. There may be an increase in intake roar - which could be a benefit. You do get a "buy it once" filter so it could pay for itself over the life of the car.

IMHO there is little or no horsepower increase and paper is a better filter especially in dusty/ sandy areas.

2 - Interior Cabin Filter besides OEM you can get a Puralator brand cabin filter at Napa or Pep Boys. I have recorded that part number as # C25623. I think the cost difference between Puralator and OEM is a strong $20.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Here's some information that has been posted before:

Here's a short video about air filtration and talks about Amsoil air filters. But the guy talks about nanofiber filter media which is what the stock air filter also uses. I suggest you watch the entire 9 min video but you could start at 4 min 45 sec where the engineer talks about K&N in particular.

From Member JoesC5 Quote:

The best filter on the market is the one you presently have, the Donaldson PowerCore filter that GM puts in all LS3/LS7/LS9 Corvettes. Just find the best price for a replacement GM filter, and buy it. Flows all you need and filters the best.

The Donaldson filter you have is good for 50,000 miles, then spend $100 for a replacement element that is good for another 50,000 miles. If you do hit 100,000 miles you will have invested $100 if filter replacement and never, not once, had to take the time to clean and re-oil your filter. No oiled cotton gauze filter will last 50,000 miles without cleaning and re-oiling.

Will someone please explain to me how purchasing an oiled cotton gauze filter element for $125, or $300-$500 for a complete replacement air breather, and then purchasing the cleaner kit and oil for another $20, and then having to clean and oil the filter element every 5,000 miles, is cheaper then driving your car for 100,000 miles and only replacing the the Donaldson filter once.

And it's more than opinion, it's fact! Here is a copy of the venerable test report that presents the results of an ISO 5011 test of several air filters. The test was independently performed under controlled conditions using a $285,000 machine at Test and Corp of Rhode Island (manufacturer of the machine). Arlen Spicer, a GM Duramax Diesel owner/enthusiast organized the test. Ken an employee of Testand offered to perform the tests at no charge. (These tests typically cost approx $1700.00 per filter)

This is the point that Rock'n Blue 08 and other believers should pay attention to - Accumulative Gain:
"Accumulative Gain" is the total amount of dirt that passed through the filter during the test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Poor air filtration damage is generally slow to cause engine damage. And the rate of damage depends on whether or not you drive in a lot of dusty conditions. But it does cause damage that will be seen in shortened overall engine life. You'll probably sell your car before any damage is noticed or you may not even drive it enough to see damage even if you keep it for a long time. Having said that, if I were buying a used car and I checked this forum and saw that you used one of these high volume, low filtration filters, I wouldn't touch your car with a ten foot pole.

It has been proven again and again in oil analysis. The people who use aftermarket filters always show high silicon (dirt) levels indicating their air filter is not capturing all the dirt. As HOXXOH said >"You'd be hard pressed to find any aftermarket filter for the Vette that even attempts to claim equal filtration efficiency as the original Donaldson GM uses."<

Remember, the performance air filter companies are in business to sell you a product. Their claims, of horsepower and air filtration, must be viewed with skepticism.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 07-21-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

There are 2 types of cabin filters, I like the charcoal impregnated cabin filter.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is the air flow speed from the K&N booth at SEMA 2010. All of the filters were on an air tight box using one fan that was blowing on all of them. As you can see there is better air flow through the K&N then any other filter.

(oil filter on the left here says 25)

Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I notice that the OP has a 2007 with the LS2, which does not have the Donaldson PowerCore filter. The Donaldson filter is only used in the LS3/7/9 original factory applications.

I don't believe a flat panel Donaldson filter exists to fit the 2007 LS2 so I would use the factory ACDelco paper filter.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I notice that the OP has a 2007 with the LS2, which does not have the Donaldson PowerCore filter. The Donaldson filter is only used in the LS3/7/9 original factory applications.

I don't believe a flat panel Donaldson filter exists to fit the 2007 LS2 so I would use the factory ACDelco paper filter.
this is true, the LS2 stock air intake system is garbage. any aftermarket system will be a step up
Old 07-21-2011, 05:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Tikiman12
this is true, the LS2 stock air intake system is garbage. any aftermarket system will be a step up
If I were dead set on an aftermarket unit I would consider the Volant as they offer it with the Donaldson PowerCore filter element.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Filters

Quick Reply: Air Filters