C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Mattraffai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine codes

ok so last weekend i went to the car wash and rinsed off my 06 A6 vette and once a moth like usual for the last 5 years i use the spot free rinse on the engine bay to keep all my billet and painted parts nice. well when wash engine bay something strange always happens and my cruise control doesn't work for about a week then works again. well this time i left i the car wash and reduce engine power came on int he display and threw p2101,and p1516 codes. my car was serioulsy putting around and the cam in my car made it rock like never before!! luckily it crawled home taking a mile to hit 40mph. so i asked my tuner if he knew what it was and he said he thought it was my TB so i bought a new and put it back on yesterday and the code didn't come back up rightaway and it let me rev the engine past 2k which it wouldn't before. so today i get on it and right at around 5k the engine stops racing and the reduced engine code came back on? i thought the problem was fixed wen i took it out for the test drive the before i got on it at least 10 times and it didn't do trip a code but now it coming on and staying on everytime. is there something else broken or a short or is the pcm broke?PLEASE HELP
Old 07-22-2011, 09:18 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

P1516= Throttle actuator control (TAC) Module throttle actuator position performance ECM

P2101= Control module throttle actuator position performance ECM

My guess is a connector got wet. Maybe a day in the sun with the hood open will help. A good reason to keep water out of the engine compartment. I wipe mine down and it looks great. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by VET4LES; 07-22-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,021 Likes on 5,377 Posts

Don't use a pressure washer at a car wash on the engine. The spray will get past the seals on the connectors and go through small seams on the modules. Use a spray bottle to spray the engine compartment with a 50/50 mix of simple green and water. I use about 30 ozs of mix. Let it soak for a while and then use a hose with sprayer to gently rinse the solution away. Once the engine is rinsed close the hood and start the engine and let run for 20 minutes to evaporate the water.

I used a pressure washer once on my 86 and I ruined the throttle position sensor. Since that time 24 years ago I have used the simple green method on all of my cars and have never had a problem.

Bill
Old 07-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Mattraffai
Instructor

how do u make your picture of ur car show up when u reply to posts ?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Mattraffai
Instructor

well i did let it sit and dry and i bought a whole new tb just to be safe. the tb was actually a new polished ls7 tb but it had the 6 pin connect just like my old ls2 tb so i heard that they're pretty much the same anyways. Well now it idles fine and will rev past 2k without engine power code coming up but when it hits about 5k rpm then the same code comes on again?? is it the new tb or now one of the two other parts the foot sensor or ecm? should i replace both?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Mattraffai
Instructor

i have a gold plate on tb but it was for a ls2/7 is what the guy said. will this not work? is that why wen it revs past 5k it triggers reduce engine power

Get notified of new replies

To engine codes

Quick Reply: engine codes