C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk about that annoying fuel tank crossover tube for a second...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 10:16 AM
gstaylor
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossover Fuel Line Wont Seperate

Researched the forum and web thoroughly prior to starting this job. Its now my second day with no success in getting the crossover line loose from passenger tank to replace the FSU (P2068). The collar is loose and even pulled back past second ridge (will fix later). Just can't get that metal sleeve out past the tank plastic. I know its got to be the two fuel lines stuck. I have tried everything. Very frustrated. The line keeps jumping back into the bracket but I think I have enough slack to pull it out. I have tried channel locks, screwdrivers, etc. Tried spraying some silicone but doubt it reached the fuel lines. Can anyone provide any tricks or secrets I might have overlooked.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

I hope you pulled the cross over hose off the center holding clamp so is bend in the middle (don't remove the clamp as is it will help) now you take the cross over at the end you want to pull out firmly with both hands and pull it straight out (you must man handle it for just a second but is how it comes out) observe how the plastic and robber O rings are positioned from factory and return them in to position and in that order come time to install it all back, put some silicone spray on every thing including the tube, be sure the two small interior hoses are correctly positioned.

When you have it all in the correct order and present the tube in straight it will go in all the way by itself leaving you with a great sense of satisfaction and you know all is rite.

But you ain't done yet now is time to turn the locking clamp back into position and usually never wants to go in, just take some motor oil while still pulled back and loose and apply with a Q tip on the ring and on the receiving part it will go in so quick you'll be fooled to think it didn't, now you must remove the oil so just use some carb cleaner or brake cleaner to keep it from coming loose.

Put the center cross over tube back into center holding clamp.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by gstaylor
Researched the forum and web thoroughly prior to starting this job. Its now my second day with no success in getting the crossover line loose from passenger tank to replace the FSU (P2068). The collar is loose and even pulled back past second ridge (will fix later). Just can't get that metal sleeve out past the tank plastic. I know its got to be the two fuel lines stuck. I have tried everything. Very frustrated. The line keeps jumping back into the bracket but I think I have enough slack to pull it out. I have tried channel locks, screwdrivers, etc. Tried spraying some silicone but doubt it reached the fuel lines. Can anyone provide any tricks or secrets I might have overlooked.
My car also had stuck internal fuel fittings on one side. It's the worst thing because the tubes inside are elastic, so yanking on the crossover doesn't do much. You have to steadily displace it by inches until the fittings pull out.

I vaguely recall tethering the end of the crossover to a prybar with metal wire, and inserting a piece of 2x4 on the underside of the car somewhere to pry against. I was able to pull the crossover far enough away from the tank to get at the hoses inside.

Once you can see the hoses, don't waste too much time trying to get them unplugged. Just cut them, and replace all of the internal lines and fittings with brand new parts. It's not that expensive and now's the time to do it.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:32 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Do the fuel lines running through crossover tube just push on? Not quite sure how you can reconnect these lines and reinstall when your done....?
Old 12-16-2017, 12:20 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
Do the fuel lines running through crossover tube just push on? Not quite sure how you can reconnect these lines and reinstall when your done....?
Yes. There are fittings attached to the inside of the crossover tube at either end which engage fittings attached inside the fuel tanks. The internal fuel lines engage blindly as you plug-in the crossover tube, and should disconnect simultaneously as you remove it.

At least that's the idea. What can happen in practice is that the fittings stick together. If you keep pulling on the tube, the stuck fittings break out of the fixtures that hold them to the ends of the tube/tanks (while remaining stuck together).

At that point the crossover becomes like a tent pole with an elastic cord inside. All you can do is pull it back far enough to expose the internal lines and cut them. Then you can drop the tanks and replace the broken parts inside.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:38 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
Yes. There are fittings attached to the inside of the crossover tube at either end which engage fittings attached inside the fuel tanks. The internal fuel lines engage blindly as you plug-in the crossover tube, and should disconnect simultaneously as you remove it.

At least that's the idea. What can happen in practice is that the fittings stick together. If you keep pulling on the tube, the stuck fittings break out of the fixtures that hold them to the ends of the tube/tanks (while remaining stuck together).

At that point the crossover becomes like a tent pole with an elastic cord inside. All you can do is pull it back far enough to expose the internal lines and cut them. Then you can drop the tanks and replace the broken parts inside.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 AM
Cwgabbert
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's a struggle but I have a couple pointers for reassembly, (Right side fuel tank).

I had a very tough time getting the crossover tube to seat fully so I could attempt to rotate the locking ring. In order to address that issue I used 125# fishing line, tied with a loop in the end. I wrapped that around the flex tube just above the locking ring collar. I then ran the other end through the access hole above the fuel tank and tied it off to a large pry bar. I used the rear wheel hub as a leverage point to put a lot of pull on the line and left that overnight, under pressure pulling on the crossover flex line. In the morning I found the connection to the tank was fully seated but I still couldn't turn the locking ring. So, I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a rubber strap wrench, (a set of 2 for $12). After wrapping the strap wrench around the collar I put pressure on the ring to try and lock it in place. I thought the wrench just slipped a little but when I looked with my inspection mirror I saw that the ring had rotated and locked in place!! It was so easy!! I had spent 3 days trying to get the pipe seated and locked. With these 2 actions I got it done in little less than 2 hours of total work. I had to remove the tank again due to a problem with my new fuel level sensor installation but when I reinstalled it the final time it was completed with no problems.
I'll add some pictures tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
Z06 Frank (12-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Let's talk about that annoying fuel tank crossover tube for a second...