C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 A/C Compressor Removal Rough Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Slowridr
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1985 A/C Compressor Removal Rough Procedure

Never could find anything stating all the sizes of the tools needed for this job so decided to post this and maybe help someone else out in the future. The right tools make all the difference in the world with any job!

This is to remove the compressor only. Compressor bracket stays on the engine. All the bolts seemed stock so I guess this will work for at least the earlier C4s.

1 Bolt- 1/2" Socket for rear bolt closest to outside of car on passenger side. You will also need a long extension for this one.

1 Bolt- 15mm Socket for rear bolt closest to passenger side valve cover.

1 Bolt- T45 Star for bolt beneath compressor on front side. This bolt has 1 side of head grounded flat so that it can slip past the a/c compressor pully, otherwise bolt head would be to large. You will need a short extension here or a long throated T45 star.

See pics here in this thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...r-removal.html

2 Nuts- 14mm holding A/C bracket to front of water pump. Just remove these and the studs here will allow you some wiggle room without the bracket coming all the way off. This is needed badley when going back on so that you can line the bolt threads up.

I know someone mentioned having to pull the entire bracket and dissconnect the fuel lines. I didnt have to do either. Screwed around with it for about 2 hrs and still didnt have it off the car before getting the right sized tools. After that had it off, on, and car running in about 1hr.

Good Luck
Old 08-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Slowridr
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Moderator Please Move

Moderator could you please move this to the C4 board. Not sure how/why I got this thread started in this section!

Quick Reply: 1985 A/C Compressor Removal Rough Procedure