C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2: Does 160/180 stat change need fan changes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:21 PM
starkynuke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2: Does 160/180 stat change need fan changes?

I have a stock LS2 Z51. I have read about 50 threads on changing out the thermostat in an LS2...all with pros, cons, arguments for and against.

Here's my plan before my next NASA HPDE track days:
- Swap to a 160 thermostat
- Partially drain and fill coolant mixture with Demin water until relatively diluted and then add Water Wetter (I don't want to argue the merits of WW, our NASA region requires it for TT and Race Group).

Here's my question. After installing the 160 stat, will I need to have some sort of tuning/programming done to alter the fan run temps? My old LT1 Z28 had an option on it's Hypertech Power Programmer that would change the fan operating ranges depending on the stat. Didn't know if there is a similar MUST for the LS2...nobody ever mentions it. If so, how do I go about doing that?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not a must on the LS2 just like it wasn't a must on the LT1, but you'd be missing most of the point of getting the lower thermostat if you didn't have the car re-tuned.

Any handheld programmer or tuning software should be able to do it.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
It's not a must on the LS2 just like it wasn't a must on the LT1, but you'd be missing most of the point of getting the lower thermostat if you didn't have the car re-tuned.

Any handheld programmer or tuning software should be able to do it.
Mine was reset to come on at 196 by my tuner during tuning. I am running a 180 thermostat.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:04 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by starkynuke
I have a stock LS2 Z51. I have read about 50 threads on changing out the thermostat in an LS2...all with pros, cons, arguments for and against.

Here's my plan before my next NASA HPDE track days:
- Swap to a 160 thermostat
- Partially drain and fill coolant mixture with Demin water until relatively diluted and then add Water Wetter (I don't want to argue the merits of WW, our NASA region requires it for TT and Race Group).

Here's my question. After installing the 160 stat, will I need to have some sort of tuning/programming done to alter the fan run temps? My old LT1 Z28 had an option on it's Hypertech Power Programmer that would change the fan operating ranges depending on the stat. Didn't know if there is a similar MUST for the LS2...nobody ever mentions it. If so, how do I go about doing that?
It is not a "must", but it is recommended to get the most benefit from your stat change. Most hand held programmers will allow fan adjustments, the predator works well for me. Also any tuner guy can do it with hp tuners or similar software.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2: Does 160/180 stat change need fan changes?

Quick Reply: LS2: Does 160/180 stat change need fan changes?