C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side window won't go up or goes down when it wants to

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Rafal
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Passenger side window won't go up or goes down when it wants to

So I had battery problems recently and got a new one.

I park my car for 4 days outside, apparently pass side window closed about 1/2 inch before closing all way up. Therefore everything in that area got wet when it rained.

I brought it to a shop to get new exhaust installed. Leaving with it next day, I try to roll window up and it's not working. I tried indexing both of them but window literally won't react to both switches.

I park my car in a garage, convinced the window won't go up, I pull the switch up and window goes up just like that.

So I turn the car off and pass window rolls down by itself. Although after setting ACC mode I was able to roll it up again, then had to open the door and turned ACC off. Window stayed closed.

Two days later driving with my GF, all of the sudden pass window rolls all way down. She said she didn't touch it. I tried all sorts of indexing and such to fix it, reconnected the battery and still nothing. Window wouldn't go up. Then, 30 minutes later driving, out of boredom I decide to pull switch up and the window works again!!

So now my car is parked with all windows closed, but its random closing and non responding to the switch is getting quite annoying.

I know a lot of you had this problem. Is the indexing messed up or something got wet after battery replacement and non indexing windows on time?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 AM
phkned
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't know what to tell you but mine did exactlly the same thing for about two weeks in june and then stoped and hasn't done it again. Pissed me off because first time it happened was at a concert when i went to park it wouldn't go up at all. Had to leave without getting to see the show that i had front row seats for.............
Old 09-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Rafal
Drifting

^ Sucks to hear. I read somewhere it might be related to some relay.

Today I was installing new navigation, played with the windows, all fine. Then after all done, I get back, sit down, start the car up and the window automatically rolls down.

Then after parking for 15 minutes, the window went up by 2 inches and then went back down.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Rafal
Drifting

It's so annoying. Can't really take it anywhere now. Went to park on a busy street and had to choose to park on the left side of a street since the pass window won't go up and could attract unwanted attention to the inside of the car.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Might be the door switch is dirty and needs taking apart and cleaning.

However, it could also be the window indexing that needs to be reset. This will always need to be done for both windows after a battery disconnect and reconnect.

Try to reset the window indexing first.

Close the car door. Raise the window and hold the up switch an extra 3 seconds. Release. Without lowering the window, hold the up switch again for 3 seconds. Release. Done. Don't forget the other window.

This is called resetting of the window indexing or power window initialize and is in the owner's manual. See page 2-17 of the 2005 owner’s manual, page 2-18 of the 2006 owner’s manual, page 87 of the 2007 owner’s manual, page 2-18 of the 2008 owner’s manual, page 2-18 of the 2009 owner's manual, page 3-18 of the 2010 owner's manual, or 2-18 of the 2011 owner's manual. -JFP
The following users liked this post:
joraeperkins (09-29-2019)
Old 09-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Try the batt disconnect first, let it sit disconnected for 10 minutes or so, reconnect and try the indexing ...
Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Rafal
Drifting

Thanks guys. I'll try battery again. Last time I disconnected it but only for ~2 minutes.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Rafal
Drifting

I haven't had a chance to drive my car since, but maybe some more ideas before I do?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Rafal
Drifting

So I restarted the battery.

Indexed the windows. Both windows work and then all of the sudden the drivers side window rolls down and won't go up. Resetted the battery again, index. All works great, but once I open and close the door, pass window rolls down.

It's been down entire ride back home and now it's parked with window down.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with JimTN about the door switch/pads. Try cleaning them.

Here's the LINK:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-pads-too.html

Bob
Old 09-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Rafal
Drifting

Thanks for the link. It's still an issue.

Here's what I did:

- Thoroughly cleaned door switch
- Air pressure cleaned the window switch

I started the car, window went up, no issues. Happily thought problem was fixed.

Next day, I get in the car, two minutes later, window rolls down!

I resetted the battery again. Window goes up and down.

I turn the car off, pass side rolls down. But when I open my door, hit ACC, I can make the windows go up. I turn it off, close the door. All fine...

...till I go for a longer ride and window rolls down for no reason and I cant raise it back up.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

You said in your first post you got a new battery, but i would have it Load Tested because sometimes you can buy a new "weaK" battery. A lot of vette electrical issues are result of a bad/weak battery.

Did you have any window problems before took it to exhaust shop? Maybe they let the battery run down then charged or jumped it. It will shorten its life.
Have a multimeter? Good thing to have to keep check on a battery.

Are you indexing the windows Every time battery is disconnected or power is lost for Any reason? Asking didn't see it in this post.

Things like this can really be aggravating, but good luck with it and let us know if you got it.

Bob
Old 09-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Rafal
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
You said in your first post you got a new battery, but i would have it Load Tested because sometimes you can buy a new "weaK" battery. A lot of vette electrical issues are result of a bad/weak battery.

Did you have any window problems before took it to exhaust shop? Maybe they let the battery run down then charged or jumped it. It will shorten its life.
Have a multimeter? Good thing to have to keep check on a battery.

Are you indexing the windows Every time battery is disconnected or power is lost for Any reason? Asking didn't see it in this post.

Things like this can really be aggravating, but good luck with it and let us know if you got it.

Bob
Thanks. I can't speak if it happened before or after, although when getting in the car to go to the shop for the first time after rain, I realized passenger side door was wet. The windows adjusted inch before closing the door, and I didn't see that.

Leaving the shop, I couldn't close the window. Until I got home, parked and tried closing the window, it went up.

I can't index the windows as when the passenger side doesn't work, well... it doesn't work. Doesn't want to cooperate and therefore won't index. However when it randomly decides to work, I do the 5 second up, then 5 second up again, roll down, hold 5 seconds, then hit down 5 seconds again. Doesn't help.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rafal

I can't index the windows as when the passenger side doesn't work, well... it doesn't work. Doesn't want to cooperate and therefore won't index. However when it randomly decides to work, I do the 5 second up, then 5 second up again, roll down, hold 5 seconds, then hit down 5 seconds again. Doesn't help.
Said the door was wet. Any water on the floor? Computer and fuses are located under toe board on pass. side.

Have you tried raising/lower pass. window using pass. switch and driver switch? Starting to sound like a bad pass. window switch.

The procedure you are using to index the windows is not correct according to the manual.
Try this from the manual:
1. Close the door.
2. Raise the window and hold the switch up for three seconds after window is closed.
3. Release the switch, then hold the switch up again for three seconds and release.
Done.

Did you have a chance to get your battery load tested?

Bob
Old 09-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Rafal
Drifting

I haven't load tested my battery.

No water on the door as of now. last saturday i cleaned door handle and window switch on pass side.

Yesterday I connected both battery lines (without touching the battery of course) to reset the system (was told to do so by an electrician)

it was just fine after that. window hasn't rolled down by itself yet, but when I turn the car off, the window goes down. but when i open the drivers side door, turn ACC on, i make it go up again. ACC off, close the door and everything looks fine.

i'll try indexing again.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Rafal
Drifting

more ideas?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

You may need to check out the BCM. It could be a simple reflash fix or a bad relay for the window regulators. I don't have the schematic in front of me, but either way I would suggest checking the BCM.

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger side window won't go up or goes down when it wants to

Old 09-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Rafal
Drifting

went to a shop and hooked up the diagnostic tool

passenger switch is faulty. ordered a new one. we'll see if that works
Old 09-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Hope it works out.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Rafal
Drifting

Problem fixed. It was the faulty switch.

Quick Reply: Passenger side window won't go up or goes down when it wants to