C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Caddy Man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking Steering Wheel

Hi all,

In the last week or so I have started experiencing a squeak coming from my steering wheel when I turn it left or right. I do not have to turn from lock-to-lock to hear it either, a slight turn will suffice. I doubt it has anything to do with the fluid or any belts so I have ruled that out. Sounds like plastic or rubber rubbing against each other, like something needs to be lubricated. Also, when first driving the car after it has sat for a while, I do not hear the sound. I only start hearing it after I have driven the car around for several miles and the engine has warmed up.

The problem is I am out of warranty and I do have the GMPP Major Guard, but it says in the contract that it will not cover "squeaks". Has anyone experienced this problem or know what it could be? I REALLY do not want to pay out of my own pocket for labor especially when the cause of the problem is not certain.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Bill Suttie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Caddyman, Open the hood of the car and on the driver side find the steering column shaft. Follow it back to the dash panel under the brake booster. You will see a black rubber item on the steering shaft. The seal joint is probably the culprit. Try spraying it with a silicone spray from the engine side. If that is not succesful then remove the hush panel below the steering wheel inside the car and try to spray the shaft seal from the the inside. Good luck. Bill S.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Denny79
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you (OP) been able to figure out what caused the squeaking?
Old 04-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Caddy Man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. So I opened the hood, found the steering shaft/column and I followed it down toward the front of the car.

With the car off, I turned the wheel slightly side to side and determined the sound was coming from where a portion of the steering shaft connects into another part (sorry, I don't know the name of the part).

I purchased some white lithium grease spray and sprayed the area and the squeaking went away.

Get notified of new replies

To Squeaking Steering Wheel

Quick Reply: Squeaking Steering Wheel