C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corner and Straight line creaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Corner and Straight line creaking

So Ive dealt with the creaking endlink issue for a while and found tightening the hell out of them removes the sound until you really load up the suspension (yes links were new). Does anyone else notice end link noise still coming back with totally tightened new endlinks when loading up the suspension at .75+g?

On top of it Im guessing the subframe is now loose after taking the car in for some warranty work (occasional straight line creaking when accelerating or stopping). Can anyone provide some info on where to look on the subframe (or anywhere else) for loose bolts?

thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
On top of it Im guessing the subframe is now loose after taking the car in for some warranty work (occasional straight line creaking when accelerating or stopping). Can anyone provide some info on where to look on the subframe (or anywhere else) for loose bolts?
Will your car creak when braking from a coast, will it creak when suddenly letting off the throttle in a lower gear, or both?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

coasting - yes like city or neighborhood driving 25 to 35mph. the creak is very occasional and is only heard at low speeds with the windows open. it almost sound like a rock in the tire or running over a small twig. I could be going 25 and slow down and right at the point where its geting ready to stop -I get a creak (not a brake squeal). I also noticed it yesterday when accelerating back up to 25 mph from a light.

thanks!

Last edited by el es tu; 10-11-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I know that when I replaced my shocks and added tunnel plate and new end links I do not experience creaks anymore. Also did the "c" clip trick with the sun visors. Still have the road noise though just no creaks. Still running the GY F1 supercar tires.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:09 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies
Top is nice and tight and the back hatch is adjusted not to move/creak.

I might check the tunnel.

It just seems odd that I start hearing this sound after I had work done that required the subframe to be dropped. Ive already been to the dealership so many times over things that had to be redone, Im spending more time driving it there than I am driving it for fun.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 AM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C-Clip

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I know that when I replaced my shocks and added tunnel plate and new end links I do not experience creaks anymore. Also did the "c" clip trick with the sun visors. Still have the road noise though just no creaks. Still running the GY F1 supercar tires.
Can you give me some more info on the "C-Clip" trick and the procedure?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:32 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
coasting - yes like city or neighborhood driving 25 to 35mph. the creak is very occasional and is only heard at low speeds with the windows open. it almost sound like a rock in the tire or running over a small twig. I could be going 25 and slow down and right at the point where its geting ready to stop -I get a creak (not a brake squeal). I also noticed it yesterday when accelerating back up to 25 mph from a light.

thanks!
From your description of when it happens, it doesn't sound like the somewhat common creak caused by dry splines on the outer end of the half-shafts. That creak happens once every time the load on the shaft(s) is reversed - so it creaks on acceleration, then again after abruptly lifting the throttle while in gear, then again the next time you accelerate, and so on.

Which subframe (front or rear) got dropped? You might want to check everything on that end of the car to make sure it's tight.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

front - the car had the typical ls oil pan leak

Im checking the subframe this weekend. Hopefully everything will be fine.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Got my post all mixed it is a "E" clip for the creaking roof. 5/32.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1956846
Old 10-13-2011, 07:56 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Got my post all mixed it is a "E" clip for the creaking roof. 5/32.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t....php?t=1956846

That eclip trick and adjusting the rear locking mechanism seem to take care of the top issues people have. BTW It needs to be tight enough to require some force. If it easily slides in and out, the rear lock isnt tight enough.

Then the rear decklid has 2 rubber height adjusters - if theyre too low, the lid will creak - of course if theyre too high your rear bumper and the lid wont line up.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:34 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Check the rear hatch closely. I had to lube the hinges at the top after chasing creaks for a while.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:29 AM
jammerjamesharmon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Check the rear hatch closely. I had to lube the hinges at the top after chasing creaks for a while.
Yes, had to find this the hard way, by myself, that was the source of my creak.

Get notified of new replies

To Corner and Straight line creaking

Quick Reply: Corner and Straight line creaking