C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Erics_02_z06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Hatch Alignment

I want to get better lines on my z06, and I was reading that you can adjust the 4 bolts that hold the rear hatch on. Do you adjust the torx screw side, or the bolts? Just want to be clear on it before I go messing around with it. One side sits a little lower and its driving me craZY
Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Erics_02_z06
Racer

Nobody had done this?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:49 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Where is the one side lower???

Is it by the rear fascia and rear quarters, or are you talking about up at the halo???

Bob
Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Erics_02_z06
Racer

its lower by the halo, by about a 1/4 of an inch which seems like a lot....
Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I've seen owners needing to adjust the deck lid of the hatch to align with the rear quarter panels or the rear fascia deck height, but I've never heard of anybody with problems like you have with an alignment problem with the top/front part of the hatch.

However.....what year is your car???

Your forum ID implies an '02, but you are asking in the C6 section. I looked in your forum profile, but no info there!

I haven't heard of anybody having your problem, however if you have a 2011 or 2012 you should have received a recall notice concerning your hatch hinges. Check out this thread - scroll down to post# 3 to read the recall:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-on-parts.html

The recall specifically addresses "weak" hinges, not an alignment problem. Butt....I sure would guess weak hinges could lead to misalignment!!!

So....If you have a 2011 or 2012, take it to get the recall done (new hinges) and let the dealer fix the alignment issue.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 12-22-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Erics_02_z06
Racer

sorry I wasn't clear, my problem is getting the trunk lid to line up with the bottom of the halo by the quarter panel. My car is an C6 z06, but its in the shop right now so I can't grab a pic, but the trunk lid sits lower than the quater panel on one side, and by the time it works its way to halo, its a good 1/4 inch too low
Old 12-23-2011, 01:30 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I adjusted my hatch for better alignment. I did it by loosing the bolts on the body halo. It was trial and error until I got the best alignment. You should use a helper.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 AM
faychinc6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should clarify that my problem is the hatch creaks loudly and the noise seems to be at the hatchtop near the halo. Hopefully your fix will aleviate the stress that causes the hatch to crackle on uneven pavement. I plan to loosen the four hinge nuts slightly and move the hatch back just a little-about one mm. For the record, I already cleaned and silicon coated the hinges, seals on the hatch as well as the top to no avail. seemed to help temporarily but noise returned in a day. Its been 95 to 100 deg F here in Chicago for the past month buy I think it gets worse at higher temps. I should get to the adjustment within the next few days and will report back the results. thanks for the encouragement.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:10 AM
faychinc6
Heel & Toe

I have taken the liberty of including your clarification that I requested below. Might as well put it on the forum instead of private msging. which was tedious to reply to.

clarification:
I made the adjustment to correct the gap between the hatch and the rear fascia.

It was not difficult.

I corrected the gap on the 1st try.

I had one (1) helper to hold the hatch while I loosed the fasteners on the hatch hinge to the halo on both sides.

I loosen the two (2) fasteners on each hinge at the halo, moved the hatch into the proper position and then tighten the fasteners. I only needed about 1.5 mm of movement rearward to correct the hatch to rear fascia alignment.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 PM
faychinc6
Heel & Toe

Well I finally got around to looking at the hatch. I had been hoping that cool weather would solve the creaking noise. No such luck. Then I recalled that the hatch latch had been adjusted by the body shop when I got rear ended in the summer. I could see the moved paint marks for the latch's original position. So I put it back to its original position and the creaking stopped. Only time and driving will tell if the fix worked. Thanks to all for sharing their ideas.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 AM
faychinc6
Heel & Toe

ok I think I finally got it fixed. I tightened the four hatch hinge bolts attached to the halo.
Each nut was tightened about 1/4 turn only. I noticed that each bolt had thread lock on it. Its been three weeks now and the hatch creaking has stopped even when I go over very uneven roads.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:49 PM
SUPERCARCORVETTE
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Torqes Head or 1/2" nut?

Originally Posted by faychinc6
I have taken the liberty of including your clarification that I requested below. Might as well put it on the forum instead of private msging. which was tedious to reply to.

clarification:
I made the adjustment to correct the gap between the hatch and the rear fascia.

It was not difficult.

I corrected the gap on the 1st try.

I had one (1) helper to hold the hatch while I loosed the fasteners on the hatch hinge to the halo on both sides.

I loosen the two (2) fasteners on each hinge at the halo, moved the hatch into the proper position and then tighten the fasteners. I only needed about 1.5 mm of movement rearward to correct the hatch to rear fascia alignment.
[/QUOTE]

Did you loosen the torques head or 1/2" nut side to adjust? Thanks

paul

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Hatch Alignment

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Alignment