C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOOSTA PUMP ISSUES Yes/NO/Maybe???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 01:44 AM
Cajuncrawfishco
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default BOOSTA PUMP ISSUES Yes/NO/Maybe???

I have a boostapump installed with my camed LS3 D1 set up with meth. 765 rwhp. Over past few months after a semi fast drive on the highway (cruise like around 80-85 mph)...........while decelerating, MY car would BOG DOWN to where it seemed like it lost a number of cylinders. OUT of now where BUT typically after driving kind of fast at a constant cruise.

Come to a stop and RPMS still show good (as in all 8 are firing NO rmp drop) BUT.........black smoke out exhaust and IF you try to give it gas it simply boggs down more to a point of wanting to die...........its flooding NO DOUBT BUT the cause and cure?? CURE turn car off back on ASAP and issue goes away 100% till the next time!

Clearly engine is having TOO much fuel dumped in to it. I DON'T think it is blow bye as I have cleaned the MAF over/over and issue repeats itself BUT randomly.

FIX....again....(MOST random) Turn ignition off and upon (immediate re start) idle is 100% smooth NO black smoke and all is well until next random time this happens!

Something clearly re sets! SO after reading about the Boosta pump it talks about how at idle it will NOT dump fuel in unless........under boost/high rpm as if it did otherwise.........it would bog the motor down with too much fuel!

Exactly like MY issue????? SO how does one check to see IF boosta pump is kicking in when it should NOT be as it seems mine is doing??

Bad O2 sensor doubt it? MAF oiled up don't think so.

SO how does one find out IF a "boosta pump" IS malfunctioning allowing TOO much fuel to cycle in to the engine while IT IS at cruise and NOT under boost??

I am all but certain this may be my issue as the symptoms MY motor displays when this issue takes place is exactly what the description of this part says it will NOT allow to happen while operating correctly.

SO with it failing on occasion: MY car will show signs of this symptom of bogging down with too much fuel LIKE the boosta pump is operating TOO early NOT under boost .......this flooding the engine.

IF it were a oiled MAF I doubt just turning car off/back on would bring it back to a more lean condition and run normal as it does! O2 sensor again........how would turning car off/back on fix a bad O2 sensor??

ANY ideas on how to verify (that the boosta pump) is failing on occasions?? IS there some setting on it that may have to be adjusted to see if it can be corrected?

ALL before I buy a new one hoping..........my weird problem goes away for good with whole new part?

Thanks when able re any input

David

Last edited by Cajuncrawfishco; 12-27-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajuncrawfishco
I have a boostapump installed with my camed LS3 D1 set up with meth. 765 rwhp. Over past few months after a semi fast drive on the highway (cruise like around 80-85 mph)...........while decelerating, MY car would BOG DOWN to where it seemed like it lost a number of cylinders. OUT of now where BUT typically after driving kind of fast at a constant cruise.

Come to a stop and RPMS still show good (as in all 8 are firing NO rmp drop) BUT.........black smoke out exhaust and IF you try to give it gas it simply boggs down more to a point of wanting to die...........its flooding NO DOUBT BUT the cause and cure?? CURE turn car off back on ASAP and issue goes away 100% till the next time!

Clearly engine is having TOO much fuel dumped in to it. I DON'T think it is blow bye as I have cleaned the MAF over/over and issue repeats itself BUT randomly.

FIX....again....(MOST random) Turn ignition off and upon (immediate re start) idle is 100% smooth NO black smoke and all is well until next random time this happens!

Something clearly re sets! SO after reading about the Boosta pump it talks about how at idle it will NOT dump fuel in unless........under boost/high rpm as if it did otherwise.........it would bog the motor down with too much fuel!

Exactly like MY issue????? SO how does one check to see IF boosta pump is kicking in when it should NOT be as it seems mine is doing??

Bad O2 sensor doubt it? MAF oiled up don't think so.

SO how does one find out IF a "boosta pump" IS malfunctioning allowing TOO much fuel to cycle in to the engine while IT IS at cruise and NOT under boost??

I am all but certain this may be my issue as the symptoms MY motor displays when this issue takes place is exactly what the description of this part says it will NOT allow to happen while operating correctly.

SO with it failing on occasion: MY car will show signs of this symptom of bogging down with too much fuel LIKE the boosta pump is operating TOO early NOT under boost .......this flooding the engine.

IF it were a oiled MAF I doubt just turning car off/back on would bring it back to a more lean condition and run normal as it does! O2 sensor again........how would turning car off/back on fix a bad O2 sensor??

ANY ideas on how to verify (that the boosta pump) is failing on occasions?? IS there some setting on it that may have to be adjusted to see if it can be corrected?

ALL before I buy a new one hoping..........my weird problem goes away for good with whole new part?

Thanks when able re any input

David
its not the boost a pump because the regulater brings the pressure down to 58 psi regardless of how much volume the pump is flowing.... i have had meth injected cars do this though, it maybe an issue with your meth system
Old 12-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Cajuncrawfishco
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default We can check.....but what part of the meth system could dump way too much fuel in?

Could be meth hanging up BUT with car going to wayyyyyyyy too rich seems like it is some electronic component that is dumping too much fuel in? Does any part of the meth control fuel flow/mixture? When you read about the boosta pump.....it says that it does NOT allow for added fuel at normal cruise BUT only at high rpm/under boost...........to "prevent bloating" (to much fuel) when NOT under boost.

So based on the description of the boosta pump.......sounds like (if) it were mal functioning.........it would create a situation exactly like I am experiencing?

How could anything with the meth system cause my car to suddenly run way too rich?

IF meth was leaking (while not under boost).......could that cause car to run way too rich? Don't know......I am not too familiar with the set up.

Last weird thing is the "fix". Issue immediately goes away once I turn off the car and turn it back on! Back to normal NO signs of any too rich condition!

With a new motor coming I want to TRY to eliminate this mystery issue ASAP.

SO meth or boosta pump ANY additional ideas from anyone.........thanks for anyone's input here.

David

Get notified of new replies

To BOOSTA PUMP ISSUES Yes/NO/Maybe???

Quick Reply: BOOSTA PUMP ISSUES Yes/NO/Maybe???