C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone running 10's with m6 ls2 h/c

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Jack Package
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the track today and a guy was running 10.9s with a cam and bolt-ons in an '06 with manual trans. He said the rear was stock, but he was doing 1.55 short-times with drag radials (no breakage as of yet). I'd think with heads as well and a 4.10 gear, mid to low 10s would certainly be possible with a good driver. That would definitely put you in the fight with a C6Z with a cam and bolt-ons, provided they were on stock tires. If the Z has drag radials and a good driver, it would be hard to keep up.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Toxic c6
Instructor

Originally Posted by hnaskoct
Wht type of cam and rear end?
cam is in sig and stock rear-end.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've subscribed to this thread... as this is the direction I'd like to go with my '05 A4 3.15 car.
I really don't want to pull the heads off... as I feel it should be capable of a 10-sec timeslip with the stock longblock.
Once I put it into the 10's... I'll throw some nitrous to it and nail down a 9-sec timeslip.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
I've subscribed to this thread... as this is the direction I'd like to go with my '05 A4 3.15 car.
I really don't want to pull the heads off... as I feel it should be capable of a 10-sec timeslip with the stock longblock.
It definitely is capable of it, though it certainly doesn't just happen quite as simply/easily as you make it sound LOL.

Once I put it into the 10's... I'll throw some nitrous to it and nail down a 9-sec timeslip.
That too is possible, just be sure to include the costs of a new rear (be it a C5 conversion or a 2006+ update) and a probably a trans rebuild/strengthening in your plans/budget as you're definitely going to need those on the bottle.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:28 AM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
It definitely is capable of it, though it certainly doesn't just happen quite as simply/easily as you make it sound LOL.

That too is possible, just be sure to include the costs of a new rear (be it a C5 conversion or a 2006+ update) and a probably a trans rebuild/strengthening in your plans/budget as you're definitely going to need those on the bottle.
I definitely have a steep learning curve... as I've changed engine platforms a number of times in the last 25+ years or so.
First it was SBC's + nitrous... then to BBC's + nitrous... then to aftermarket BBC's (632cu)... then to '86/'87 Turbo Buicks for the last 6 or so years... last of which was a 9-sec combo.
Fastest stuff I had were the BBC's going 8.30's-.40's @ 165.

I've since outgrown the ground pounding 14.5-1 solid roller BBC's and now prefer something I can actually drive around and enjoy more often. (hence the recent turbo Buicks)

These LS series motors are all new to me... but look like they are very capable engines. I can't help but recall the '89 TPI Vette I had... 4500RPM and it felt like pulling the 'chute.
The LS2 in my '05 pulls pretty hard and clean to 6-6500 for a bone stock combo. I can't wait to drop in a little more cam and see what she does.

I'm thinking: (not necessarily in this order)
cam
intake
headers
3600 converter
better diff w/3.73 or 4.11 gears
standalone fuel system and nitrous
LG spindles
Z06 rear quarters
15" wheels & tires

Anything you'd add to this list ?

Is anyone doing a RMVB and transbrake setup with the 4l65's ?
I really like having the OD and don't want to go to a TH400.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:15 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

I'm thinking: (not necessarily in this order)
cam
intake
headers
3600 converter
better diff w/3.73 or 4.11 gears
standalone fuel system and nitrous
LG spindles
Z06 rear quarters
15" wheels & tires
Depending on the size of the shot, that could definitely be enough for 9s, along with good tuning as well of course.

Is anyone doing a RMVB and transbrake setup with the 4l65's ?
I really like having the OD and don't want to go to a TH400.
Being electronically PCM/TCM controlled, I don't think one can do a RVMB on the 4L65E but there are transbrake options for it, I just haven't seen them work too reliably though.
A 4L80E (essentially a TH400 with an overdrive) conversion is something to consider, it's strong and still keep the car streetable but the swap can be costly and does add some weight to the car.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Being electronically PCM/TCM controlled, I don't think one can do a RVMB on the 4L65E but there are transbrake options for it, I just haven't seen them work too reliably though.
A 4L80E (essentially a TH400 with an overdrive) conversion is something to consider, it's strong and still keep the car streetable but the swap can be costly and does add some weight to the car.
I think I just answered my own question.
http://www.rosslertrans.com/4l60e_or...%20Options.htm

My brother has one of his TH400's in a 555 powered Chevelle and loves it... Pics on the website: http://www.rosslertrans.com/jerry%20wittig.html

I had one of his TH400's in my 632 powered Camaro... ran flawless.

Looks like Carl does the 4l60's now too.

My apologies to the OP for derailing the thread. I'll be quiet now.

Last edited by Dragracer_Art; 01-08-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Jack Package
Instructor

4L80E requires cutting up the floor/tunnel. Stick with a 4L60E and you can run 9s all day. They even have new gear ratios for them. Putting on 15s is a little tricky and not for the squeamish...even running 16s can require a little massaging.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jack Package
4L80E requires cutting up the floor/tunnel. Stick with a 4L60E and you can run 9s all day. They even have new gear ratios for them.
A few years back there wasn't much choice as even the well built 4L60s/4L65s were kind of hit or miss but now the top builders have gotten them really sort of bulletproof and able to handle big power well into the low 9s (maybe even high 8s) consistently and reliably.

Quick Reply: anyone running 10's with m6 ls2 h/c