C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are there any headers don't require ecu reflash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pahrump
Egay... allmotorsports I think

I also had to spend $35 on some 02 sensor extensions for the front O2s...my rears were already turned off in the tune.
So did you plug the back o2 sensors, and how long was your extensions.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Pahrump
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

24" extensions...yes I used the stock rear O2s that had the wires cut off...well on one side...my air fuel gauge is in the other.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Any header worth installing (ARH is my preference) will eventually need tuning. I have seen some people go a while without a code coming up, but eventually the always do. (again from what I have seen many times)

If your that concerned about warranty claims I can offer two options for you. You can purchase a new ECM and we can program it for your vin and mods, or we can send you a Trinity hand held that will retain your stock file, and also have a performance tune for your mods that leaves zero "water mark" in the ECM that it was ever tuned. It cannot be detected by others that anyone was ever in there without analyzing the files itself and GM does not do that, they look for segment counts only (the sum of what your tune adds up to in the ECM)

We also have the headers in stock too, so we can give you a package deal if you like, hope that helps.
i would be curious to learn more about this, what gains might i expect, how will it affect the sound of my exhaust? and how much would it cost?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

I am still trying to figure this all out, does all tunes turn off back o2 sensors. Is there any advantage of hooking up all the o2 sensors if not why do they build them with the back o2 holes. If you do back 02 how long extensions. I was thinking going obx without cats. May have to go without a tune for a while.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

you guys would crap your pants if you knew what those cost and the profit margin.. I looked into having a few things made "over-seas".. Now I know why people do it .. LOL
Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have read that if you install spark plug non-foulers on your rear o2 sensors they will not throw the code even with the stock tune.

Search for the posts here or Google them, it appears to work and costs next to nothing.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Pahrump
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
you guys would crap your pants if you knew what those cost and the profit margin.. I looked into having a few things made "over-seas".. Now I know why people do it .. LOL

OF course theres a profit margin...I have non issue with someone making money on a FAIR priced item.

If I had the capital to invest in 100,000 sets at a time Id hope to make a profit as well...however this is not the point of this thread.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
i would be curious to learn more about this, what gains might i expect, how will it affect the sound of my exhaust? and how much would it cost?
Feel free to give us a call to discuss, thanks. 609-752-0321

Originally Posted by 99blancoss

But it's cheap garbage, would you really want that on your Corvette? Wouldn't be on my car thats for sure.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
But it's cheap garbage, would you really want that on your Corvette? Wouldn't be on my car thats for sure.
It's really not garbage though--at least not the latest offerings from OBX. They keep getting compared to Mirage and some other stuff that is a 'no-name knock-off' brand but OBX quality is as good as, if not better than, the top names in the business right now.

IF I had bottomless pockets and cared about a brand name, I would be glad to fork over $1500 for headers. But, being that they all make within 2% or less of the same power and torque, fit just as good and look just as good, I'd rather spend my mod money on other parts to go fast.

Just my $.02 though
Old 03-01-2012, 09:05 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Smooth72
I am still trying to figure this all out, does all tunes turn off back o2 sensors. Is there any advantage of hooking up all the o2 sensors if not why do they build them with the back o2 holes. If you do back 02 how long extensions. I was thinking going obx without cats. May have to go without a tune for a while.
The point of the rear 02 bungs in aftermarket x-pipes is 2-fold.

1) It gives peace of mind to those people who want to keep their rear 02s plugged in the exhaust.

2) Serves as a place to install a wideband 02 sensor.

The only point of the rear 02s from the factory is to monitor catalytic efficiency. The computer expects to receive different voltage(readings) from the rear 02s than it does from the front 02s as an indication that the catalystic converters are in fact working.

Obviously if you remove the cats, the reading from the front and rear 02s would be the same and thus a code for Catalytic inefficiency would illuminate the CEL. This does not cause any performance reduction and is merely informational.

I drove around for months with my rear 02s active and plugged in with a CEL and went to the dyno and made 421/398 before swapping the cam and finally having it tuned.

If you can deal with a CEL until you're ready for a tune, then I'd say go for it. It won't hurt anything and when you add more mods/want more in the future, you can always have the rear 02s turned off.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Smooth72
Drifting

Originally Posted by Justinjor
The point of the rear 02 bungs in aftermarket x-pipes is 2-fold.

1) It gives peace of mind to those people who want to keep their rear 02s plugged in the exhaust.

2) Serves as a place to install a wideband 02 sensor.

The only point of the rear 02s from the factory is to monitor catalytic efficiency. The computer expects to receive different voltage(readings) from the rear 02s than it does from the front 02s as an indication that the catalystic converters are in fact working.

Obviously if you remove the cats, the reading from the front and rear 02s would be the same and thus a code for Catalytic inefficiency would illuminate the CEL. This does not cause any performance reduction and is merely informational.

I drove around for months with my rear 02s active and plugged in with a CEL and went to the dyno and made 421/398 before swapping the cam and finally having it tuned.

If you can deal with a CEL until you're ready for a tune, then I'd say go for it. It won't hurt anything and when you add more mods/want more in the future, you can always have the rear 02s turned off.
Thanks for the info, I order some OBX
Old 03-10-2012, 02:25 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Awesome, keep us posted
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Just finished up a set of obx headers. Yes I would have liked to buy american but here is is my conclusion. The headers are 80-90% of american and at $645 delivered to my door they are approximately a third of the price.

Pluged off back o2 with 18m oil pan bolt, no cats

Drilled Holes to tie up 02 wires.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Just drove with the headers, of coarse check engine light. Not much louder cruising, but when you get on it, it sound like a beast. Very happy with it.

Quick Reply: are there any headers don't require ecu reflash?