C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with external cooling fan control

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Issue with external cooling fan control

I installed the external cooling fan control kit, sold by several forum vendors, recently. The kit worked as advertised for about 6 months. Last night I noticed my coolant temp creeping up so I switched on the manual switch. Usually this will drop the coolant temp quickly, however, last night nothing happened, and the temp continued to creep up. Once back in my garage I discovered that the fan was not working.

My question is will a failure of this modual prevent the fans operating. The fans would always come on when it received a signal from the computer, irregardless of the position of the manual switch, so this leads me to think that this manual switch is not responsible for my problem. I have checked the fuse and it is fine.

Any troubleshooting suggestions appreciated.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Check the factory fan control and the plug for the fan. There are numerous threads about the fan connectors burning.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:04 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Checked the plug and no signs of fraying or burning. They are secure and tight. The fan also does not come on with the a/c on, so I'm beginning to suspect the fan control.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 AM
SWLAmarshrunner
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroRod
Checked the plug and no signs of fraying or burning. They are secure and tight. The fan also does not come on with the a/c on, so I'm beginning to suspect the fan control.
It may be that. I just had a similar problem on my 09 with 13,000 miles. Fan wouldn't come on, connectors weren't melted, and didn't throw any codes. The dealer could not command the fans to come on so they replaced the electric fan motor and that fixed the problem. Mine was stock without the manual fan switch on it. Hope that helps.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:22 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

have you applied power directly to the fan motor?

I'm going to assume that the related parts are OK, so, the PCm sends a signal to the fan module on pin 6 red/org wire then Dk Grn at the plug 5V reference . If the signal is there, and the fan is OK but not working, then the module is bad.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:08 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Just returned from my friends Caddy dealership. He had a mechanic check out the car. Seems the Manual switch module was not allowing the ECM to go to ground, so the fans would not run. Also, found evidence inside one of the connectors of overheating. He replaced the plug, removed the aftermarket switch module, and everything is back to normal. The mechanic strongly recommended to not use the manual switch modual ever again, as next time I might need a new ECM !
Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 AM
Z16chevelleguy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just returned from my friends Caddy dealership. He had a mechanic check out the car. Seems the Manual switch module was not allowing the ECM to go to ground, so the fans would not run. Also, found evidence inside one of the connectors of overheating. He replaced the plug, removed the aftermarket switch module, and everything is back to normal. The mechanic strongly recommended to not use the manual switch modual ever again, as next time I might need a new ECM !
Ok i can give you a little information about that manual over ride switch. It is probably made by Casper's Electronics. Last summer after installing a Dewitts raidator & a Casper over ride switch my car over heated . After it cooled down I unplugged the over ride switch where it plugs in next to the fan control unit. The fans worked, plugged it back in and fans would not work. So I called Caspers.I talked to the owner (I believe John). He pretty much admitted they were having problems with the module overheating in the current location.They had designed a new wiring system and the module is now inside the car.
He told me to box mine up and send it in and they would replace it. I sent it with a nice long letter explaining I wasn't happy with my car overheating and I was hoping there was no internal damage from it overheating. Also if they knew there was a problem why didn't they notify anyone who had purchased one .
Several weeks went by with no answer. I finally called , John wasn't in but another person (engineering) knew who i was and said my module/letter were on Johns desk. He told me he would inform John I called.
Again some time went by, no return calls or boxes in the mail.I called again. John told me they were sending me a new kit. Nothing was mentioned about the condition of my car or hey we are sorry, YADA YADA.
What puzzles me is you can go to several web sites including Caspers and buy the orginal kit. There is no mention of the under the dash kit. They do make it as they sent me one finally.

My tuner also told me "don't put it back on the car and to toss it".
Old 03-18-2012, 10:27 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z16chevelleguy
Ok i can give you a little information about that manual over ride switch. It is probably made by Casper's Electronics. Last summer after installing a Dewitts raidator & a Casper over ride switch my car over heated . After it cooled down I unplugged the over ride switch where it plugs in next to the fan control unit. The fans worked, plugged it back in and fans would not work. So I called Caspers.I talked to the owner (I believe John). He pretty much admitted they were having problems with the module overheating in the current location.They had designed a new wiring system and the module is now inside the car.
He told me to box mine up and send it in and they would replace it. I sent it with a nice long letter explaining I wasn't happy with my car overheating and I was hoping there was no internal damage from it overheating. Also if they knew there was a problem why didn't they notify anyone who had purchased one .
Several weeks went by with no answer. I finally called , John wasn't in but another person (engineering) knew who i was and said my module/letter were on Johns desk. He told me he would inform John I called.
Again some time went by, no return calls or boxes in the mail.I called again. John told me they were sending me a new kit. Nothing was mentioned about the condition of my car or hey we are sorry, YADA YADA.
What puzzles me is you can go to several web sites including Caspers and buy the orginal kit. There is no mention of the under the dash kit. They do make it as they sent me one finally.

My tuner also told me "don't put it back on the car and to toss it".
Yup! Mine is (was) the Caspers control unit. Good advice on not using it. Forum members and vendors should be informed.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:25 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Just to update I bought a Caspers recently and its the new model the I recieved. I dont anticipate any problems with it. A good company that addresses the issue as soon as they knew about it.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:06 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

I will call Casper today and see what they can (will?) do.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:06 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

FYI Update....
I spoke with Justin in the Tech department at Casper today and he said I could return my module and they would replace it at no charge. The new design mounts inside the car passenger compartment, so I assume the underhood heat was causing the problems.

They sound like a stand up company that backs it's products without the BS.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI Update....
I spoke with Justin in the Tech department at Casper today and he said I could return my module and they would replace it at no charge. The new design mounts inside the car passenger compartment, so I assume the underhood heat was causing the problems.

They sound like a stand up company that backs it's products without the BS.
I bought a Casper two yrs ago and had a problem with it, and they (Casper) sent me a new version where the control module mounts inside the cabin (I think behind the passengers side kick plate) I have been drag racing it with the new version now for two yrs and run the fan after every run with the engine OFF.. it cools the engine w/no problem & for the last two yrs I've been a happy camper.. "Casper" did the right thing by me!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Z16chevelleguy
Pro

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Just to update I bought a Caspers recently and its the new model the I recieved. I dont anticipate any problems with it. A good company that addresses the issue as soon as they knew about it.
If you bought a new model how would you know that they address an issue as soon as they know about it?

It took them over 3 months and my phone calls to get the new unit.This was after my old broken one sat on someones desk for months.
Also why can you go online and find the old style for sale every where still?
Seems to me anyone putting it on will end up with the same problems. Why not recall the old ones so no one has their 5-10 k or more engine overheat? It looks pretty simple to me but doesn't sound like they are addressing the issue

They wouldn't even comment or say hey we are sorry your engine overheated because of our product.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Z16chevelleguy
If you bought a new model how would you know that they address an issue as soon as they know about it?

It took them over 3 months and my phone calls to get the new unit.This was after my old broken one sat on someones desk for months.
Also why can you go online and find the old style for sale every where still?
Seems to me anyone putting it on will end up with the same problems. Why not recall the old ones so no one has their 5-10 k or more engine overheat? It looks pretty simple to me but doesn't sound like they are addressing the issue

They wouldn't even comment or say hey we are sorry your engine overheated because of our product.

Sorry to hear that. All I meant by "addressing the issue" is that they redesigned the product when they knew it was a problem. I don't think the old ones are still being sold. When I ordered mine 3 months ago I received the new model even though the vendor still had the old one in the picture. I have know other experience with Casper or their products so maybe I spoke to soon.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Z16chevelleguy
Pro

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Sorry to hear that. All I meant by "addressing the issue" is that they redesigned the product when they knew it was a problem. I don't think the old ones are still being sold. When I ordered mine 3 months ago I received the new model even though the vendor still had the old one in the picture. I have know other experience with Casper or their products so maybe I spoke to soon.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have the new version sitting in my toolbox, unused, if somebody would like it I'll sell it for $50 plus shipping. That's less than half price for a brand new item.

It's a good mod if you bracket race a lot, keeps temps consistent. I don't bracket race enough anymore to need it.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I have the new version sitting in my toolbox, unused, if somebody would like it I'll sell it for $50 plus shipping. That's less than half price for a brand new item.

It's a good mod if you bracket race a lot, keeps temps consistent. I don't bracket race enough anymore to need it.
Great deal. Would take it if I didnt just install one.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:02 AM
LS260GTO
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 2019 C7 coolant fan module failure.

Originally Posted by glenB
have you applied power directly to the fan motor?

I'm going to assume that the related parts are OK, so, the PCm sends a signal to the fan module on pin 6 red/org wire then Dk Grn at the plug 5V reference . If the signal is there, and the fan is OK but not working, then the module is bad.
I’ve noticed that by turning off and turning back on my 2014 C7 the coolant fan will finally turn back on lowering the temperature immediately. I’ve already replaced the thermostat four years ago after it overheated. The coolant reservoir had swelled up instead of blowing the head gaskets. I replace the current reservoir and refilled the coolant to the proper level. Keep in mind that it overheated when our Stingray had about 24,000 miles. Keep in mind that I did not have a single issue of overheating until after performing a coolant service. The C7 actually has now 49,900 miles. The C7 overheated after going out for a drive even though it idle for 45 minutes without an issue. The temperature held steady at 169° for those 45 minutes. After that, I drove it for 20 more minutes then the temperature rose to 245°. I was under the impression that the thermostat failed again. Keep in mind that after it overheated the first time at about 24,000 miles. Now the Stingray has 49,900 miles. I’m starting to think that the coolant fan module is what’s causing the issue. Unfortunately, the coolant fan module is built on to the fan. Other people have a temperature sensor failure, where the temperature is not being displayed on the instrument cluster. Some people are experiencing no power to the coolant fan since the block fuse distribution ends up blowing. I will find out if the 2019 C7 ZR1 cooling fan can be upgraded to any C7 stingray or Z06. I will let everyone know if it’s a direct replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To Issue with external cooling fan control

Quick Reply: Issue with external cooling fan control