C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Clutch comparison] Katech LS9R::McCleod RXT::Mantic Twin Disk

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Oh ok, good stuff. I'm not up on who is fastest and with what combo in the Z world.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinjor
Oh ok, good stuff. I'm not up on who is fastest and with what combo in the Z world.
Gary is a legend in the corvette C5Z06 & C6Z06 LSX bolt/on world
Old 05-03-2012, 12:25 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Garys z06 is bolt/ons only
Thanks Dennis for the clarification. I assumed that Justin read robz's thread back in December prior to him bestowing his kind words upon us. My bad.

Originally Posted by robz
Congrats to Gary Hillen for achieving his main goal of running a 9 second pass. I don't have any details other than 9.97.

Gary: You've had an outstanding year from heads up racing to ET chasing. You made it all happen.
It's great to see all that hard work, R&D, ingenuity, and perseverence pay off. And it's amazing how well you handled everything along the way; with style. I'm sure everyone appreciates all the help you've given out to others this year and years past. I certainly do. Thanks for showing us how fast these cars really are and thanks for taking me along for the ride!
What's next?
Brb, trading my coupe in on a Z

Congrats
Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 AM
BoosTTed C6
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

That's a pretty nice offer Doug, thank you.
What makes the Mantic twin so special? It's a new clutch and I researched, but could not find a lot of information about it. Quite frankly, the first I heard of it was when Cajun mentioned it.
How would you compare the ability to slip it to the stock clutch?
I am still being nice to mine as it has less than 500 miles on it but this I will say without hesitation: pedal pressure is marginally stiffer than stock (10%) and it drives like stock around town - not an on/off clutch. My car puts down 720/643 so I can't wait to wail on it again. Take Doug up on his offer.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
Thanks Dennis for the clarification. I assumed that Justin read robz's thread back in December prior to him bestowing his kind words upon us. My bad.
I read a lot of posts throughout the day and sometimes get them jumbled up. I know you had done some pretty great things in the Z world, but had forgotten it was so monumental. Bolt on Z in the 9s is incredible so congrats again.

A small part of me wishes a Z was in my budget at the time of my purchase but I do love my car and am proud of how far it has come in a relatively short amount of time.

There are a handful of people on this board with whom I trust what they post- Joe, RobZ, you, theofel, and a few others come to mind. Thanks again for the contributions you make to the Corvette community
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by C6SC
I am still being nice to mine as it has less than 500 miles on it but this I will say without hesitation: pedal pressure is marginally stiffer than stock (10%) and it drives like stock around town - not an on/off clutch. My car puts down 720/643 so I can't wait to wail on it again. Take Doug up on his offer.
Oh I did--the Mantic was installed a few weeks ago and I'm currently putting city miles on it. It should be ready to rip next week.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Because my stock clutch wasn't consistent anymore. Some days it would hold fine, other days it would slip as soon as I launched. The only reason I was able to cut the 1.5s and 1.4 at PBIR was because the track prep was so good, I didn't need any type of burnout to have the tires stick. What you can't see on the video or the timeslip is my left foot holding the clutch pedal up between the 2-3 and 3-4 shift. There were a few track days where the weather was good and I got everything ready, tires, seat out, etc, and the clutch gave up the very first pass. That sucks and I got sick of it.

It got bad enough that even a mild 3rd-4th gear pull on the highway would result in the pedal falling to the floor.

I did the ranger method religiously but it didn't help.

I had been wanting to build the rear end anyway so while the drivetrain was apart, I figured it would be a good time to get that swapped out.

I mean, I say I'd be happy with a 1.5 or whatever, but knowing me, I'll probably push it and go for a 1.3 on occasion, especially if I end up with slicks.
Oh, ok, I didn't realize you had so many issues with stocker. I still think you would have put up some mid-low 1.4x's with the stocker and gears under the right conditions.
With gears and the right clutch you should be consistently .1 better if not more in 60'. I'm excited to see cars like yours and Dennis' run .
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Thanks Rob, I appreciate the kind words from a corvette veteran like yourself

It will take some time to get used to this new setup I'm sure but I'd love to run consistent 1.4 60fts after all is said and done.

I'd also love a 1.3 60ft as I don't know of anyone in a C6 coupe who has done it and that should be good enough for a 10.49 or maybe even better.

Take the top spot in my respective category with untouched heads? Yes please
Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks Rob, I appreciate the kind words from a corvette veteran like yourself

It will take some time to get used to this new setup I'm sure but I'd love to run consistent 1.4 60fts after all is said and done.

I'd also love a 1.3 60ft as I don't know of anyone in a C6 coupe who has done it and that should be good enough for a 10.49 or maybe even better.

Take the top spot in my respective category with untouched heads? Yes please
You are a quick study. You will get there. Might take hoosier bias ply tires to do it, but you should be ok with your radial skinnies, I heard that mixing like that is ok with skinnies (it isn't with standard size fronts, I did that for a while and it was scary.

I think I might have the stock clutch 60 foot record? Do you know of any lower?

I just put a spare c5 diff in my garage yesterday. I'm ready to race again.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

I don't know of any lower than a 1.44 Joe. You have that record by far I believe. I think I might have the record for LS3 with stock clutch/stock gears but I want the top ET spot.

I was shopping around for slicks and the only 26" size I saw was the ones you mentioned were taller than what they advertise. Unless I can figure something out, I may be sticking with the Mickeys OR I might try out the Hoosier bias ply drag radials. The added weight savings will be a bonus there as well.

I know it'll suck to swap tires at the track but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

You will like the Hoosiers except for their short life. But the are sticky.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

From what I'm reading, they are bias ply DOT tires, correct? Essentially a street legal slick that can't be driven on the street? It's the same compound found in the regular slicks?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

From what I'm reading, they are bias ply DOT tires, correct? Essentially a street legal slick that can't be driven on the street? It's the same compound found in the regular slicks?
You can drive them on the street but if it rains at all your Max speed Is 15-20 mph or you will be spinning out. Been there done that. And they wear out fast on the street.

But you wanted a wide body anyway, right?!? Lol.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Justin, I just thought of something regarding your clutch noise. The stock clutch has a bunch of springs in it to keep it quieter (absorbing changing loads) that your new clutch does not. With the lopey cam that you have, it would make sense that you are hearing more drivetrain noise (gear slop, tolerances, etc...).

Have you heard any change in the noise over the past 500 miles?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:15 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Joe_G
You can drive them on the street but if it rains at all your Max speed Is 15-20 mph or you will be spinning out. Been there done that. And they wear out fast on the street.

But you wanted a wide body anyway, right?!? Lol.
Ya, I'll have to get in the habit of changing at the track. No big deal.. sure it'll suck, but taking the top spot will be worth it.
I'll keep at the research though..who knows, maybe I'll end up with another set of MTs

Originally Posted by taken19
Justin, I just thought of something regarding your clutch noise. The stock clutch has a bunch of springs in it to keep it quieter (absorbing changing loads) that your new clutch does not. With the lopey cam that you have, it would make sense that you are hearing more drivetrain noise (gear slop, tolerances, etc...).

Have you heard any change in the noise over the past 500 miles?
After driving the car for almost 600 miles now, I'm convinced that it's just drivetrain noise that was otherwise absorbed by the 60lb clutch setup from the factory. I remember hearing the 'death rattle' sound before I did the swap and thought it might have been a broken motor mount or something. Now that I have a different clutch, that sound is magnified 100x over. Upping the idle has taken care of it enough to not bother me anymore and it's a small tradeoff to have a reliable clutch that will put the power to the ground repeatedly without being phased.

If my ears aren't deceiving me, I do think the sound is diminishing as well so perhaps it'll quiet down even more with more drive time. If it stays as is, it will be fine as the rest of the behavior and sound is well worth the added sound in neutral.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Dude would you hit the track already tonight????? Everbody puts on 500 miles then lets her rip, myself included.

p.s. do NOT buy tires until you see how that clutch works. Trust me.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Joe. Believe me, I want to. I really do. BER specifically asks for a 1200 mile break in and while that may be excessive, I'll follow what they say just in case something happens and I have to get something warrantied, I don't want it to be a question.

Get notified of new replies

To [Clutch comparison] Katech LS9R::McCleod RXT::Mantic Twin Disk

Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Joe. Believe me, I want to. I really do. BER specifically asks for a 1200 mile break in and while that may be excessive, I'll follow what they say just in case something happens and I have to get something warrantied, I don't want it to be a question.
I think your speedometer has been reading fast...you have 1200 miles already.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Hahahah Joe, you kill me.

Odometer reads differently than the speedo anyway so that excuse won't work

I expect to have the mileage done before next Thursday so we'll see about the track next week
Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Hahahah Joe, you kill me.

Odometer reads differently than the speedo anyway so that excuse won't work

I expect to have the mileage done before next Thursday so we'll see about the track next week
Odometer reads off the same sensor.

I was going to call you a name but since you're a head taller than me I thought twice about it.

Quick Reply: [Clutch comparison] Katech LS9R::McCleod RXT::Mantic Twin Disk