C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam too big? Broken lifter and valves touched pistons...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 PM
0Matt @ ECS
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... This is never a good thing to hear !

Chris, even though we did not build the car for you, if you have ANY questions please give us a call. We had done a street tune last year for you, it is a shame to hear of your motor going away due to broken parts. I hope that it was not a clearance issue, but this is the reason why in all of our cam packages, that Piston to Valve Clearance is checked on every installation, even if it is one of our proven cam grinds. This will alleviate any issues with a mis-ground camshaft or mis-boxed camshaft!

Let us know if we can help you in any way.

Thanks

East Coast Supercharging
Matt Sorian - Shop Manager
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM
C5Z
Instructor

The shop who did the install should make this right. Them telling you they will work with you on price for a fix is a joke. The engine practically self destructed after a few miles. Everything should be double checked when doing engine work especially for custom performance applications, when you go too long on assumptions this kind of thing eventually happens. Sorry to the OP for this mess.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ctusser
You're right, which I'm sure is why the OP, and the involved shop thought it was safe to install without checking. Obviously there was a mistake somewhere in the process. Hopefully for the OP the guilty party will own it.
Ya, sure wish someone would step up and admit it fault... Just dont see that happening

Originally Posted by wazslow
As long as its ground correctly and installed correctly with the correct parts you should be fine. Mine is running awesome. I'm not sure where Chris's issue is coming from actually. Cam ground incorrectly? Install done incorrectly? Wrong springs? Who knows at this point. This is one reason I like doing my own work. Then I can only blame myself if there is a problem.
Ya, best part is not knowing for sure what caused it...

Originally Posted by C5Z
The shop who did the install should make this right. Them telling you they will work with you on price for a fix is a joke. The engine practically self destructed after a few miles. Everything should be double checked when doing engine work especially for custom performance applications, when you go too long on assumptions this kind of thing eventually happens. Sorry to the OP for this mess.
Thx C5Z... I concur!
Trust me, I dont want to smear a shops name, but I sure dont want to spend all this money either so I wish I could place blame! BUT without definitive proof it was the shops fault how can I bring that fight to their front door?

Originally Posted by Matt @ ECS
Wow... This is never a good thing to hear !

Chris, even though we did not build the car for you, if you have ANY questions please give us a call. We had done a street tune last year for you, it is a shame to hear of your motor going away due to broken parts. I hope that it was not a clearance issue, but this is the reason why in all of our cam packages, that Piston to Valve Clearance is checked on every installation, even if it is one of our proven cam grinds. This will alleviate any issues with a mis-ground camshaft or mis-boxed camshaft!

Let us know if we can help you in any way.

Thanks

East Coast Supercharging
Matt Sorian - Shop Manager
Thanks Matt.. You guys did a great job with the tune last year, drove great! I would have came to you guys for the cam, but between 2 shops doing cam specials and tax free it was a huge savings at the time... but that pretty much blew up in my face (literally in my motor!)
Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 PM
C5Z
Instructor

The shop already told you, "apparently the cam was too big" as you mentioned in one of your earlier posts. This shows they didn't check the install. Any quality shop will double check an installation and its components or it is a hack shop.

Some quotes taken from their website.

"We only deal with the highest quality vendors, and top manufacturers. From suspension and chassis to pump gas strokers and forced induction setups. We don’t use any parts we wouldn’t put on our own vehicles, and nothing that won’t make the most power.
Want to have a reliable, performance machine that you can drive on pump gas to the track and back? How about running 8s at over 150mph in your street car?"

"At Race Proven Motorsports we don’t settle for second rate work. We’ll transform your vehicle into the machine you want it to be, never sacrificing quality.

From bolt ons to full engine builds and forced induction, we’ll go every step of the way in the process of making your dreams a reality. From ordering the parts to the dyno tune after installation, we’re the one stop shop for high performance GM builds."

If they wish to abide by their statements they need to put their money where their mouth is.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

The more I think about this, the more annoyed I get for your Chris. EVEN if you ordered a cam that was WAY too big and it was YOUR fault-it's the responsibility of the installer or in this case, the shop to say "hey wait a second, this is way too close, it doesn't fit, we need to flycut." Did they even measure the PTV clearance? Something doesn't add up here.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:42 PM
madmax4499
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justinjor
The more I think about this, the more annoyed I get for your Chris. EVEN if you ordered a cam that was WAY too big and it was YOUR fault-it's the responsibility of the installer or in this case, the shop to say "hey wait a second, this is way too close, it doesn't fit, we need to flycut." Did they even measure the PTV clearance? Something doesn't add up here.
I doubt they did, they would have to pull the heads off to get the measurement. that would bring the install price way up. I think that is why most use a proven cam, some one else did the homework. that will not save you from and bad grind or miss- boxed cam. makes me nervous, i damn sure dont want to pull the heads to do a cam swap!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:44 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by madmax4499
I doubt they did, they would have to pull the heads off to get the measurement. that would bring the install price way up. I think that is why most use a proven cam, some one else did the homework. that will not save you from and bad grind or miss- boxed cam. makes me nervous, i damn sure dont want to pull the heads to do a cam swap!
First of all, you don't have to pull the heads to check PTV. You can use checker springs and a dial gauge.

Second of all, this cam has been used in others cars as well without issue, which returns us back to the original issue. . .something doesn't add up.

This is why I was so adamant that my cam be checked on an independent cam doctor prior to installation.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:52 PM
madmax4499
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is almost as much work as pulling the heads, you cant just put it at TDC and check the dial till the valve hits the piston. the valves chase the piston up and down, you would have to check each intake and exhaust valve several degrees before and after TDC. as for checking just one??? only three of his hit. i agree it does not add up, something fishy about the install. cam DR is a good idea, just to verify, not sure who would have one?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:06 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5Z
The shop already told you, "apparently the cam was too big" as you mentioned in one of your earlier posts. This shows they didn't check the install. Any quality shop will double check an installation and its components or it is a hack shop.

Some quotes taken from their website.

"We only deal with the highest quality vendors, and top manufacturers. From suspension and chassis to pump gas strokers and forced induction setups. We don’t use any parts we wouldn’t put on our own vehicles, and nothing that won’t make the most power.
Want to have a reliable, performance machine that you can drive on pump gas to the track and back? How about running 8s at over 150mph in your street car?"

"At Race Proven Motorsports we don’t settle for second rate work. We’ll transform your vehicle into the machine you want it to be, never sacrificing quality.

From bolt ons to full engine builds and forced induction, we’ll go every step of the way in the process of making your dreams a reality. From ordering the parts to the dyno tune after installation, we’re the one stop shop for high performance GM builds."

If they wish to abide by their statements they need to put their money where their mouth is.
I agree with you C5Z, but again without proof they didnt do any of those things or the install wrong Im trying very hard to keep my temper in check... And im giving them a chance to see what they can do for me! Im not here to blemish their name, Pat G, Comp Cams, etc... Just wish it could be figured out and fixed ASAP fairly!

Originally Posted by Justinjor
Thanks Justin... I appreciate it, getting this **** off my chest here makes it just a lil bit easier to think about dealing with it!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:38 PM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

You would think being a sponsor here they wouldn't hesitate to make it right. Lot of Corvette owners read these forums and it wont be hard to eventualy figure out who they are. It's in their best interest to make it right since it could cost much more in lost business.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Good move on holding your tongue. Wish I could do the same.

Pitt
Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Would that motor even fire up if it was a tooth off on the cam sproket ?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:24 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pit-man
Good move on holding your tongue. Wish I could do the same.

Pitt
Ya, also gotta keep in mind they could tell me to screw and they're not gonna repair at all... It'd be horrible business decision but still...
So I'm trying to stay fair as well.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM
wazslow
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm kinda of suprised the shop doing the install hasn't responded to the thread actually. Chris, did PatG ever get back to you?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

How often have we seen this kind of thread where someone takes a car in for modifications, and later it blows up? The response usually is to try and make the installer pay, but I've never seen that happen successfully. I've even seen Lingenfelter not take responsibility. In there defense, there are too many variables that could cause a failure without it being the installer's fault.

Now, if it would have failed on start up, that would be different. But when you have someone modify your car, you really need to get in writing what the shop will do in the event of a failure.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

This is very unfortunate that this happened. Its also VERY hard to say exactly why it happened. I never said the cam was too big i said it could have been. The reason i think the valves touched the pistons is from the lifter roller coming apart and bouncing around inside the engine. The front lifter where it hit the piston the most is still stuck in the block. We cant get it out from the top. We found half of the roller on the other side of the engine on top of a rocker. I think maybe a piece got under the lifter/pushrod and caused the valve to touch the piston. Its very hard to say exactly what happened but there was a lot of pieces of the lifter inside the engine.

These problems do happen with engines. Its just part of modding a car. This obviously isn't our first cam job. We probably do 2-3 a week and we have been in business for over 7 years. I 100% do appreciate Chris being level about the situation. Its almost impossible to point fingers in situations like this. The lifter could have just collapsed and from Chris revving it and taking video and driving it back home it could have completely failed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjJ9wTTAFFQ

Im not saying this is what happened but it very well could have been. VERY rarely will you see anything about my shop posted on here because i try to take care of any problems that happen and still make the customer walk out happy. I am going to do my best with Chris to get his car fixed. I appreciate him cooperating with us and being understanding that stuff like this does happen and there is never a way to figure out exactly what happened. We will get it fixed and i can assure you Chris will walk out happy. We all know that its terrible to get a new mod and then something break shortly after but in reality it does happen.

When a cam isn't installed correctly they usually have problems starting and throw cam sensor codes. This was not the case on this car and i can assure everyone that it was installed. We ordered the cam exactly how Pat G. speced it. He is a knowledgeable person and i wouldn't think that the cam would be the cause.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
This is very unfortunate that this happened. Its also VERY hard to say exactly why it happened. I never said the cam was too big i said it could have been. The reason i think the valves touched the pistons is from the lifter roller coming apart and bouncing around inside the engine. The front lifter where it hit the piston the most is still stuck in the block. We cant get it out from the top. We found half of the roller on the other side of the engine on top of a rocker. I think maybe a piece got under the lifter/pushrod and caused the valve to touch the piston. Its very hard to say exactly what happened but there was a lot of pieces of the lifter inside the engine.

These problems do happen with engines. Its just part of modding a car. This obviously isn't our first cam job. We probably do 2-3 a week and we have been in business for over 7 years. I 100% do appreciate Chris being level about the situation. Its almost impossible to point fingers in situations like this. The lifter could have just collapsed and from Chris revving it and taking video and driving it back home it could have completely failed.

Im not saying this is what happened but it very well could have been. VERY rarely will you see anything about my shop posted on here because i try to take care of any problems that happen and still make the customer walk out happy. I am going to do my best with Chris to get his car fixed. I appreciate him cooperating with us and being understanding that stuff like this does happen and there is never a way to figure out exactly what happened. We will get it fixed and i can assure you Chris will walk out happy. We all know that its terrible to get a new mod and then something break shortly after but in reality it does happen.

When a cam isn't installed correctly they usually have problems starting and throw cam sensor codes. This was not the case on this car and i can assure everyone that it was installed. We ordered the cam exactly how Pat G. speced it. He is a knowledgeable person and i wouldn't think that the cam would be the cause.
The hard part is always figuring out who is at fault. All of the shops depend on the parts they buy from the vendor, being high quality, and we all know new parts fail every day...right out of the box. Hopefully you guys can help him out. Just bad luck. No one will probably know for sure what happened.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam too big? Broken lifter and valves touched pistons...

Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wazslow
I'm kinda of suprised the shop doing the install hasn't responded to the thread actually. Chris, did PatG ever get back to you?
I know Fran has been busy at the shop... There were a crap load of cars there so Im sure he coulda been too busy, but looks like he replied below!
Pat G did reply to me... He agree'd that the original cam spec'd was larger than the one I went with from him. Also that his cam was the largest he recommends for safe PtoV... But not sure what could have cause this either.

Originally Posted by Frans96ss

I appreciate you replying Fran and understanding where Im coming from and working with me as much as possible. Im sure its also tough from seeming like I'm coming here to bash/blemish any supporting vendor... But to me and many others here, this is similar to being at a car show or drag strip and talking people about it.
Im sure it was ordered as Pat spec'd it Fran, curious if its actually cut as such... which is why im gonna see about getting it on a cam dr after its out!
Fran, can you check out that block and email me back whether the lifter bore is cracked?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Dennis50njJR
Racer

Originally Posted by CDaniel525
Ya, also gotta keep in mind they could tell me to screw and they're not gonna repair at all... It'd be horrible business decision but still...
So I'm trying to stay fair as well.
Get ready for that, your not the first or the last person they have done that to. Its ashame you cant say who is good or bad as far as tuners go youll just get banned, Its impossible to do research everything negative gets deleted.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:36 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dennis50njJR
Get ready for that, your not the first or the last person they have done that to. Its ashame you cant say who is good or bad as far as tuners go youll just get banned, Its impossible to do research everything negative gets deleted.
I actually know what ya mean Dennis, and have watched threads disappear. That's why I've tried to keep it factual while trying to figure this out, so I ask the mods to leave it open and let's see what happens!

Quick Reply: Cam too big? Broken lifter and valves touched pistons...