C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Zinc oil, is it ok for a Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 PM
NitrousMan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default High Zinc oil, is it ok for a Vette?

Are some of these newer oils with high zinc content ok for a car with cats and O2 sensors? Amsoil dealer can't tell me for sure. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by NitrousMan
Are some of these newer oils with high zinc content ok for a car with cats and O2 sensors? Amsoil dealer can't tell me for sure. Thanks.
How high?

1000-1200ppm is about as high as I'd go. JMO

It's probably good to get second opinions. Too many Amsoil dealers are just there for the money and really don't know the products.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

High zinc , good for your engine , possibly not good for your cat. conv. I personally use the higher zinc oils , cat's are cheaper than motors . I don't think the o2's are affected by the zinc. The o2's don't like lead.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:55 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Suggest you read this whole thread, particularly my posts #28 and #35.

There are several issues here and one of the most important for cars under warranty is that high ZDDP oils do not comply with the owner's manual (though they provide better protection).

Sound like the dealer you are speaking with is not very knowledgeable.

As an FYI, I'm happy to sell to all forum members at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. For those interested, please drop me a PM.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 04-02-2012, 12:37 PM
NitrousMan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Suggest you read this whole thread, particularly my posts #28 and #35.

There are several issues here and one of the most important for cars under warranty is that high ZDDP oils do not comply with the owner's manual (though they provide better protection).

Sound like the dealer you are speaking with is not very knowledgeable.

As an FYI, I'm happy to sell to all forum members at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. For those interested, please drop me a PM.
It's been 2 different Amsoil dealers giving me conflicting info. My car is a built LS7 running an F1A Procharger so the clearances are setup to run boost. I've always run the Signature Series in my cars but I wanted to make sure that was the best choice so I started looking at some of the others that Amsoil offers. Looking at the Z-Rod oil and the racing oil they both have similar amounts of Zinc so I wanted to verify that either would be OK for my car or if I should stick with the Signature Series? One dealer said the Z-Rod or Racing Series would be fine for my motor and the other dealer said no because it could cause issues with my Cats and O2 sensors. So what's the best option for my setup? Boosted motors usually run a little more clearance on the bearings so I want to make sure I get the best oil before I start running it this season. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 PM
C66 Racing

Sorry - completely left the link to the thread I suggest you read out of the above post.

Here you go:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...n-content.html

I think the consensus on that thread is that the engine is much more expensive than the cats, so if you track, go against the owner's manual, use a high ZDDP oil, and worry about the cats later. Can always buy used ones off Ebay from guys like me that eventually just take the cats off the car.

If I were in your shoes, I'd use the ZROD 10w30 - noting it doesn't meet either AMSOIL or GM's recommendations. I use the Dominator Racing 10w30 in mine (stock LS6 internals with headers, no cats, no muffler, running a race tune and race fuel, and increased rev limit).

The primary difference is that the Dominator doesn't have detergents or dispersants and I change my oil at about every 500 miles (four track days or so). I probably could go longer. The ZROD has no where near the detergents/dispersants of the Signature Series line but has some (but for a track car that is good as there is more basestock anti-wear additives which is what you want). AMSOIL rates the ZROD for about 3-5k oil change intervals.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
NitrousMan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Sorry - completely left the link to the thread I suggest you read out of the above post.

Here you go:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...n-content.html

I think the consensus on that thread is that the engine is much more expensive than the cats, so if you track, go against the owner's manual, use a high ZDDP oil, and worry about the cats later. Can always buy used ones off Ebay from guys like me that eventually just take the cats off the car.

If I were in your shoes, I'd use the ZROD 10w30 - noting it doesn't meet either AMSOIL or GM's recommendations. I use the Dominator Racing 10w30 in mine (stock LS6 internals with headers, no cats, no muffler, running a race tune and race fuel, and increased rev limit).

The primary difference is that the Dominator doesn't have detergents or dispersants and I change my oil at about every 500 miles (four track days or so). I probably could go longer. The ZROD has no where near the detergents/dispersants of the Signature Series line but has some (but for a track car that is good as there is more basestock anti-wear additives which is what you want). AMSOIL rates the ZROD for about 3-5k oil change intervals.
Thanks, I thought the link was missing. My stock cats are gone and I just have the small race cats so I doubt the ZDDP will affect them much. I plan to change the oil every 3000 on this motor so I'll give the Z-Rod a try and see how it performs. Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM
C66 Racing

Thanks, I thought the link was missing. My stock cats are gone and I just have the small race cats so I doubt the ZDDP will affect them much. I plan to change the oil every 3000 on this motor so I'll give the Z-Rod a try and see how it performs. Thanks again.
My pleasure.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Another alternative is european mobil 1 in a 0W40 it has more zddp
Old 04-04-2012, 11:39 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

I just started using Royal Purple HPS (High Performance Street) Has higher ZDDP levels and still has the detergents of a street oil.

Mark
Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
NitrousMan
Burning Brakes

I don't see much of the European stuff in my area but I do see the Royal Purple at the local store. I've used Amsoil in all my stuff for years so I'll probably stick with it for now. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:00 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Happy no cats Amsoil Z-Rod user here.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

I don't see much of the European stuff in my area but I do see the Royal Purple at the local store. I've used Amsoil in all my stuff for years so I'll probably stick with it for now. Thanks.
I had to order the Royal Purple HPS online and my local auto stores that carry Royal Purple don't carry it and it not on their master order list.

Mark
Old 04-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure what oil you are talking about but most oils sold in the US have had the zinc removed from it or it is very low! I run Brad Penn oil in my 530CI cadillac on my airboat because it is has a flat tappet cam and without the zinc I will wear the lobs off the cam.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 PM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by Crowhater
I am not sure what oil you are talking about but most oils sold in the US have had the zinc removed from it or it is very low! I run Brad Penn oil in my 530CI cadillac on my airboat because it is has a flat tappet cam and without the zinc I will wear the lobs off the cam.
Only if they are API SN spec oils and most of those discussed above are not.

The AMSOIL Z-ROD has phosphorus 1320 ppm and zinc 1440 ppm (API SN spec is 800 ppm phosphorus). Mobil 1 0w40 has phosphorus 1000 ppm, zinc 1100 ppm. Not sure of the RP HPS.

As a suggestion for your airboat:
AMSOIL SAE 10w40 Formula 4-Stroke Marine Synthetic Motor Oil
AMSOIL SAE 10w30 Formula 4-Stroke Marine Synthetic Motor Oil

These marine motor oils are high ZDDP as they aren't limited by API specs, but they have the proper anti-rust additives you want in a marine motor oil as opposed to an automotive engine oil.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:58 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Mobil 1 high mileage has more zinc as well. that's what I use.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 08VRZ06
I just started using Royal Purple HPS (High Performance Street) Has higher ZDDP levels and still has the detergents of a street oil.

Mark
Roger that , started using the RP HPS a few months ago. I order mine from Jegs .

Get notified of new replies

To High Zinc oil, is it ok for a Vette?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:02 PM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
Mobil 1 high mileage has more zinc as well. that's what I use.
Yep, that's also 1000 ppm phosphorus, 1100 ppm zinc.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I would like to find out if the new low E diesel oils are low on zinc as well. My older truck would be better off with good oil. I don't use syn in it as it's not as important in a diesel. May have to start now. I know low E can't be a good thing. Most guys on the Duramax forum use Delo or Delvac. Any advice subdriver?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 AM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
I would like to find out if the new low E diesel oils are low on zinc as well. My older truck would be better off with good oil. I don't use syn in it as it's not as important in a diesel. May have to start now. I know low E can't be a good thing. Most guys on the Duramax forum use Delo or Delvac. Any advice subdriver?
The current diesel CJ-4 spec oils have similar decreases in ZDDP as compared to the previous diesel spec (CI-4) as do the API automotive oils. The CJ-4 spec limits phosphorus to 1200 ppm (still much higher than the 800 ppm limit of API SN), but the previous spec for CI-4 was 1400 ppm. CJ-4 also limits sulfated ash and sulfur. The changes from CI-4 to CJ-4 were due to a combination of factors including mandates diesel particulate filters on 07 and later on-highway diesels and to reduce emissions.

The overall impact is very similar to what has happened with automotive oils. Sort of a dual edged sword for the market. The minimum standards have been raised, thus those that go for the absoluate cheapest oils on the market are getting a better oil with the newer standards. Conversely, many limits imposed on the high end limit what the top end oils can do. The delta between the best and worst oils got smaller.

Though not all oil companies share all their oil specs, and many don't have CI-4 oils anymore, AMSOIL does promulgate the applicable specs and they do have both CI-4 and CJ-4 oils.

Their 15w40 CJ-4
- TBN: 10.4
- HTHS: 4.2 cSt
- 4-ball wear: 0.51mm (40 kgf, 75C, 1200 rpm, 1 hr)

Their 15w40 CI-4
- TBN: 12.1
- HTHS: 4.3 cSt
- 4-ball wear: 0.35mm (40 kgf, 75C, 1200 rpm, 1 hr)

I think the most telling is the 4-ball wear which is clearly better with the older spec oil, but the Total Base Number is higher with the old spec, as is the High Temp High Shear viscosity.

In my 07 RV which has a pre-07 Duramax I chose to run the older CI-4 spec 15w40. In my 08 GMC 3500 HD (recently sold) I ran the new spec CJ-4 15w40 as it had a diesel particulate filter. Would've been easier for me to buy and stock the same oil for both, but I want the best protection for the diesel in my RV (track tow vehicle).

FYI - AMSOIL does carry CJ-4 in 15w40, 5w40 and a cost effective (not long interval) 15w40, and the older CI-4 in 15w40 and 5w30.
AMSOIL Diesel Oils

Last edited by C66 Racing; 04-07-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: High Zinc oil, is it ok for a Vette?