C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powershifting problems with 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 AM
lindamang
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powershifting problems with 2nd gear

I recently purchased a 2009 c6 corvette that only had 2,300 miles. Now the car has approximately 4200 miles. When I am power shifting, the only gear that gives me trouble is 2nd. It feels like I have to work the shifter into the gear and if I dont, the gear will grind a little. This problem doesnt happen when i down shift into second either. Anyone with thoughts on this matter would be helpful!

Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Powershifting is brutal on everything man, especially the tranny. Very few here do it even while drag racing. I'm new to Corvettes, so the only thing I can tell you is 2nd doesn't like to be rushed, and that has been the case in most of my other manual cars. Only cars I haven't felt it is on Ferarris and Aston Martins (Graziano trannies), and Porsches.
Maybe it's the stiff spring pressure, which some folks alleviate by adding a washer, and claim a significant improvement. And fully synthetic fluid further improves things. My only advice is if you want your synchros to last, don't powershift. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 AM
0Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lindamang
I recently purchased a 2009 c6 corvette that only had 2,300 miles. Now the car has approximately 4200 miles. When I am power shifting, the only gear that gives me trouble is 2nd. It feels like I have to work the shifter into the gear and if I dont, the gear will grind a little. This problem doesnt happen when i down shift into second either. Anyone with thoughts on this matter would be helpful!

Thanks
When you say "power shifting" do you mean shifting without lifting off the throttle?

If so, it is common for TR6060s to have trouble when shifting agressively. The blocking rings aren't up to the task. On our Level 6 TR6060 upgrades we install compressed carbon blocking rings to help eliminate this issue. Without upgrading the rings the only way to keep this from happening is to shift slower.

Get notified of new replies

To Powershifting problems with 2nd gear

Quick Reply: Powershifting problems with 2nd gear