C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best mod for return on $$ - Dyno overlay - stock, + headers, + cam, + FAST, + Heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 04:42 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
So I got my 4.10s in yesterday. PITA to install quite frankly.

I don't have many miles on my 4.10s yet because it's been raining for weeks here in TX but I did get on it once pretty good in second gear and was shocked that it just hooked and pulled hard to redline without spinning the tires at all. It is warm here and that's a factor but this car usually kills the tires easily in second gear on the stock gear ratio. Joe always said they hook better with the lower gears due to tire rotational speed. I'll continue to test.

And of course the car felt a lot lighter on it's feet as the tach spun effortlessly towards redline. In just easy driving I don't see any difference in shift points. I can definitely be nicer to it in 1st gear than before as I can now just release the clutch and then apply throttle. With the OEM gears it required quite a bit of clutch slippage to take off w/o stalling from a stop. If I was stopped on an incline I had to pretty much abuse the clutch to get rolling. I can roll a stop sign in second gear now, and I can coast around slow turns in 3rd gear. Overall I really like it so far.

I look forward to more experimenting however, I'm finding the 500 mile gear break in with no hard acceleration to be rather tedious. I don't really ever drive more than 5-10 miles without getting on it pretty hard at some point unless I have my kid in the car with me.

Suns it's hard to accurately describe how the car will spin less with a steeper gear but it absolutely does as you will find out.

Keep us posted how you like the gears as you continue to enjoy them.

That race to redline is a great feeling. Here's one of my favorite videos, just because I felt like watching again.

Watch the tach. If you have headphones it sounds good too.

The following users liked this post:
Last 1 (07-17-2021)
Old 05-22-2016, 06:40 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

That video is pretty gnarly.

You are taching every bit of 7k on that run. First on shift flashes and then avoiding a final shift. Do you make power up there? I guess I know the answer as you have logged different shift points to get the best ET. Will these engines live up there?

I'm pretty gentle on mine comparatively.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:25 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Damn. That video is nuts.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:32 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
That video is pretty gnarly.

You are taching every bit of 7k on that run. First on shift flashes and then avoiding a final shift. Do you make power up there? I guess I know the answer as you have logged different shift points to get the best ET. Will these engines live up there?

I'm pretty gentle on mine comparatively.
Sure they don't mind. I have 80,000 miles on my car and my OE clutch. No problem. The 4.10 gears make the job a lot easier on the clutch. Guys spin them a lot higher than mine. And yes my cam makes power all the way to 7k.

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Damn. That video is nuts.
Thanks Schpenxel.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Constant rain combined with constant work has prevented me from getting as much use out of the 4.10s as I would have liked but there is no denying that the traction is DRAMTICALLY improved with the combo of the 4.10, and the fact that RPM tightened up the diff clutch pack.

These 4.10s actually make my power MORE usable, not less. It's crazy.

I did speak to RPM Trans about it and they said the improved traction is due to, two things:

1) my tires are still spinning small amounts with the 4.10s but I don't notice it because it doesn't just wind up really quickly like it would with the higher OEM gears. With the OEM gears once it begins to spin, well it then REALLY starts to spin fast and just gets all out of control. Sot of like what Joe always describes, the car has time to catch up to the slower wheel speed of the lower gears.

2) the locking diff engages much quicker since rpm preloaded the springs. So stock the diff might allow 1 tire to really start spinning before the other tire engages and by that time it's already too late. Now both tires are engaged right away when spinning occurs.

I couldn't wrap my little brain around how the lower gears could improve traction but they certainly did.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:40 AM
sabersaw30
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow just got my 2010 c6 and you guys already makin me want some 4.10 gears bad!
Old 04-17-2019, 08:57 PM
Huncle J
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Reading this thread for (at least) the 5th time... and Joe has been kind enough to give me tips to help me get down the track quicker
Old 04-17-2019, 09:53 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Great thread filled with lots of info.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:04 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Huncle J
Reading this thread for (at least) the 5th time... and Joe has been kind enough to give me tips to help me get down the track quicker
Originally Posted by myredhead1
Great thread filled with lots of info.
Thanks fellas. Always glad if I can help.

Just drove the car today, still going strong on the OE clutch and still feels plenty fast.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:34 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Bumping this up, I referred it to someone today who is modding their Vette... this can provide a primer of the path I chose which has worked pretty well for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe_G:
sallen619 (10-04-2019), VolSince69 (10-04-2019)
Old 04-17-2021, 10:00 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Linked this thread to a friend getting into drag racing his Vette. Still have my Vette, still stock OE clutch! What a great car these Vette’s are.

Last edited by Joe_G; 04-17-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:29 AM
Huncle J
Instructor

My stock clutch gave up after the cam (tsp bald eagle cam) but it also had like 150k miles on it. It didnt look as bad as I thought it would but happy with my monster lt1-s twin disc. Only thing left for me is to ditch crappy stock ls2 intake for a fast 102, then start saving for a procharger, fuel system, and bottom end rebuild. If I had to do it over again, i would skip heads and put that $ toward supercharger. The only reason I did heads was to fix an issue that turned out not to be top end anyway... still cant figure it out
Old 04-17-2021, 03:05 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Skip the fast 102 if you're going FI, waste of money. Stock bottom ends are good to 750rwhp+ so wouldn't mess with that either unless you're going beyond that.

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-17-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:56 PM
Huncle J
Instructor

The reason I was looking at bottom end is same reason I did the heads. I have a weird tapping sound that I thought was top end, but everything up
top has been replaced except the rockers, did the trunion upgrade but rockers are still stock.

I overrevved at track a few years ago and it started tapping but then went away. I would hear it occasionally but not enough to worry. After I did cam it was loud (lifters, pushrods, springs, all done at same time).

Tuner thought bad lifter, guy who did the heads thought it was lifter too. I thought bent valve. Added TSP PRC225s and it still makes the sound.

startup is quiet, then about 5-10min into driving it starts tapping, then 5-10min later it gets quieter. Can still hear it, just subtle.

Oil pressure is ok (30ish warm idle, 40 cruise). Compression check was good. It drinks oil though (qt every 1000 miles). So dont wanna spend a ton on SC and then have bottom end pop. Plus 160k miles and counting.

Old 04-17-2021, 05:48 PM
Last 1
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Linked this thread to a friend getting into drag racing his Vette. Still have my Vette, still stock OE clutch! What a great car these Vette’s are.
Joe r u still on the original stock clutch?l watch your video launching that car what a great job.

Last edited by Last 1; 04-17-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:10 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Last 1
Joe r u still on the original stock clutch?l watch your video launching that car what a great job.
Yep! Car is still going strong. Haven’t raced it on the track in a while but it’s still perfect on the street!

Quick Reply: Best mod for return on $$ - Dyno overlay - stock, + headers, + cam, + FAST, + Heads