C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the 2010+ GS dry sump oil tank have that afterthought tank thingy on the side???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

It probably connects with the vacuum lines and over to the intake tract. The top of the main tank does the same.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Where can I find the serial number? It may be useful to me in the future.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:28 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by taken19
Where can I find the serial number? It may be useful to me in the future.
To me, the 'future' would be tomorrow man. I'd find out before you talk to them. I honestly doubt they would dupe you on the engine too, but might as well check. Remember seeing the location somewhere on the owner's manual, so start there (all LS3s are the same). It should be easily verifiable, so if engine is on the car already, remove fuel rail covers and search for it with a flashlight. Once you find it, call one of the forum dealers, or GM directly. Good luck man.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Forgot to mention that the intake manifold had the "proudly hand built by xxxxx" plaque on it. That tells me it was a GS motor for sure, so I doubt there would be a concern with the motor origins. I will try to verify that as well since I need to talk to him anyway...
Old 05-07-2012, 04:39 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Forgot to mention that the intake manifold had the "proudly hand built by xxxxx" plaque on it. That tells me it was a GS motor for sure, so I doubt there would be a concern with the motor origins. I will try to verify that as well since I need to talk to him anyway...
It might be a long shot, but did the engine come with the PCM and was it left stock? If so, perhaps checking its version might help, as in if it's earlier than 2012, then it's a big red flag; if it's 2012, it still could just have been updated.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:14 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

No harness or PCM, motor is stock. I had pushrods, trunion upgrade and springs put in before shipping.

Again, I'm not making any assumptions until I speak to the seller. This will ensure I get a clear understanding of the situation first.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

No harness or PCM, motor is stock. I had pushrods, trunion upgrade and springs put in before shipping.

Again, I'm not making any assumptions until I speak to the seller. This will ensure I get a clear understanding of the situation first.
Did you verify that you did in fact get the upgrades you requested? I wouldn't have thought it a concern until the oil tank situation. . .
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Black top, attached to another black plastic piece about 1/3rd of the length, then aluminum below that. I stuck my head as deep as possible with a flashlight, and I see something that might be sticking out towards the rear of the car (triangular in shape when viewed from the top), but seems like part of the tank, not an appendage, like the old tank. When OP posts a pic, he'll have an answer in a minute .
While the appendage to increase the tanks capacity is located where it is almost impossible to see, the steel band that secures the appendage to the main body of the tank is visable. No band, no appendage(therefore only 8 qt capacity) and a band means it has the appendage(therefore 10.5 qt capacity).
Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
While the appendage to increase the tanks capacity is located where it is almost impossible to see
Almost impossible . With your information, checked closer and there's an 'appendage' indeed. And a metal band in the middle of the aluminum portion of the tank (about 2/3rds down the entire tank). And you can definitely see the top of the appendage, which has a vent tube that 'T's with the line on top of the tank, going to the intake.

That leads me to a question: the old 'appendage' was different than the new one, as we all know. But at one point, was there a tank with no appendage at all, like the tank pictured above? Or was the appendage just removed from the OP's tank? That's weird.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Nothing was removed from this tank I assure you, only my confidence and peace of mind.

Justin, all the valve train upgrades were confirmed when the motor showed up.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:22 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Nothing was removed from this tank I assure you, only my confidence and peace of mind.

Justin, all the valve train upgrades were confirmed when the motor showed up.
Well that's good at least. Any update?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:22 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Just woke up for the day, no email response and no phone call. I placed a call and left a message with their customer service department.

I'm beginning to get frustrated and NEED to confirm today
Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Maybe they're working on motor/transmission mount production?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Almost impossible . With your information, checked closer and there's an 'appendage' indeed. And a metal band in the middle of the aluminum portion of the tank (about 2/3rds down the entire tank). And you can definitely see the top of the appendage, which has a vent tube that 'T's with the line on top of the tank, going to the intake.

That leads me to a question: the old 'appendage' was different than the new one, as we all know. But at one point, was there a tank with no appendage at all, like the tank pictured above? Or was the appendage just removed from the OP's tank? That's weird.
I'm pretty sure that all 10.5 qts tanks(used since 2009 model year) are all identical. No change in the appendage design. The 2006 through 2008 reservoirs(8 qt capacity) did not have the appendage, thus looked like the one the OP has. I believe the black plastic top section came into use along with the appendage in the 2009 models and has continued ever since. LPE does offer an increased volume reservoir that has a different design appendage. LPE cut out the side of the GM reservoir and welded a box on the side, increasing the system's volume from 8 qts to 11 qts.

I have noticed that in photos that GM released with the introduction of the 06 Z06, the aluminum top does not have the threaded boss next to the fill hole for the upper brace. Later photo's showed they added this threaded boss to the aluminum cap(and it it a threated insert on the black plastic caps used later on). No idea when they added the top brace, as the photo's GM released may have been preproduction reservoirs thus it's possible that all production Z06's have the upper brace. Or the upper brace could have been added later as they discovered it was needed, and it's possible that the earlier Z06's don't have the upper brace. One of life's little mysteries.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-07-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Well the seller called....

He didn't know there was a difference in tank designs. He left his oil tank in because he is dropping a built 427 in and needed the tank. Less work for him overall.

It was an honest mistake, thank goodness. He is willing to swap tanks, upgrade mine with more capacity, whatever it takes on his dime. I will most likely finish this build and get the dyno tune with this tank, then swap before the first track day.

Hinson is a stand up company. I was hoping for the best but mentally preparing for the worst just in case. Brian apologized and said he would do whatever I wanted with respect to making my setup "right". He offered to even swap his GS tank for mine or pay to add capacity to he one I have now.

Great job Hinson, I was getting worried for a second...
Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Now for the decision.

Does anybody know of the EXACT differences between old and new tanks? Is it capacity only or are there internal differences as well. If I chose the LPE mod (added capacity), will that work for the track or should I lean towards a simple tank swap? Hinson is looking for another 2010+ dry sump as we speak but I want a backup plan just in case.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:50 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

You should look into the cost of an Airaid tank and see how much they go for--maybe Brian can 'credit' you for the tank he owes you and you can add a little $$ on top to make up the difference(if any) and boom, you have the uber oil tank.

I don't know if there is even an aftermarket tank or anything, I'm just thinking out loud. I can say this though, if it were me, at the very least, I would want the correct 2012 'brand new' tank and not some other tank he digs up. I would want what I paid for and nothing less. Just my $.02 though

Get notified of new replies

To Does the 2010+ GS dry sump oil tank have that afterthought tank thingy on the side???

Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

You should look into the cost of an Airaid tank and see how much they go for--maybe Brian can 'credit' you for the tank he owes you and you can add a little $$ on top to make up the difference(if any) and boom, you have the uber oil tank.

I don't know if there is even an aftermarket tank or anything, I'm just thinking out loud. I can say this though, if it were me, at the very least, I would want the correct 2012 'brand new' tank and not some other tank he digs up. I would want what I paid for and nothing less. Just my $.02 though
Old 05-07-2012, 04:39 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Justinjor
I would want the correct 2012 'brand new' tank and not some other tank he digs up. I would want what I paid for and nothing less.
That'd be my position as well. He told you 'everything was from his personal 2012 GS', and that wasn't the case. Even if you think parts are the same (shouldn't they know???), you shouldn't tell a customer he's getting a 2012 engine and attach a freaking 4-yr-old oil tank, when it's considered part of the engine. Glad he accepted responsibility, but I'd get exactly that tank. GM changed the bafflng inside, and that coupled with the added fluid capacity, shouldn't get much better than that IMO. But it's your car. Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 05-07-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the seller called....

He didn't know there was a difference in tank designs. He left his oil tank in because he is dropping a built 427 in and needed the tank. Less work for him overall.
Umm.....
How does a engine builder/ engine swapper not know that there was a difference?
Aren't the "top name guys" in the know on most everything? Isn't that how they become the "top name guys"?

Just a thought.........

Quick Reply: Does the 2010+ GS dry sump oil tank have that afterthought tank thingy on the side???