C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Shifter Replacement - How to R&R?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:27 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Default Auto Shifter Replacement - How to R&R?

The BTSI solenoid is hit and miss on my C6...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't work for a while - usually when I am in a hurry. One of these days it will probably stop working altogether so time to fix it.

I have a new auto shifter assembly coming since I could not find just the solenoid itself for sale anywhere.

Once I remove the center console, is there anything special I need to know or look for to remove and replace the auto shifter assembly? If anyone who has done it can please chime in it would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 AM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Anyone?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Voodoo GS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

How to R&R? Can't go wrong with a cold buck skin.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:57 AM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Ha ha thanks but if I drink those I may result to taking the old shifter out with a pry bar!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:39 AM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Got the console off - now that I have done it once I think I could do it next time in about 20 minutes. This time must have taken 1 1/2 hours to figure everything out and not break anything! New shifter will be here in a couple days. It looks like it is just held in by bolts on top but I'll have to figure out how it attaches to the auto trans linkage.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure seems like alot of wasted time and money to replace something that can be completely disabled with a pair of pliers.

I clipped off the lever that blocks the shifter... so it will never be a problem for me. I also don't need to start the car to move the gearshift lever anymore.

In my opinion, that shifter interlock device is in place for the same dummies that forget to latch their roof panels.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:38 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
Sure seems like alot of wasted time and money to replace something that can be completely disabled with a pair of pliers.

I clipped off the lever that blocks the shifter... so it will never be a problem for me. I also don't need to start the car to move the gearshift lever anymore.

In my opinion, that shifter interlock device is in place for the same dummies that forget to latch their roof panels.
Yeah Art I hear you and I did think about that and I would manage just fine without it. Maybe I'm paranoid but at some point I will sell this thing and in this litigious world we live in, I would have to either - 1. Disclose the fact that it is inoperative to the buyer, which they may not like, or, 2. Say nothing, and hope someone doesn't get killed and blame it on me for disconnecting the servo and not saying anything...even if the lack of the parking servo had nothing to do with the accident!

Get notified of new replies

To Auto Shifter Replacement - How to R&R?

Quick Reply: Auto Shifter Replacement - How to R&R?