C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 C6 Automatic convertible top troubles.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Litofeit
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 C6 Automatic convertible top troubles.

I'm having trouble with my O7 C6 auto vert top.
Specifically, the striker for the tonneau cover is not lowering, it's staying in the up position whether completely raising or lowering the top. I've checked the fuses and there fine. From the research I've done on the site, and others so far this leads me to either the folding cover pull down actuator or the BCM/TCM not working correctly. I'm getting no messages on the dash and there are no other problems with the tops function. Just that last little inch that the cover pulls down when the operation is complete. Does anyone have an idea how to distinguish whether the problem is with the actuator or one of the control modules?
Any and all help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Litofeit; 05-24-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:19 PM
cooldad
Intermediate

Does the latch which pulls it down make a grinding sound ? If so, it sounds just like what I had. The latch / striker had broken its plastic housing and would not pull the top down.

I'll see if I can post pictures later.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Litofeit
Cruising

Turns out it was indeed the pull down actuator. After narrowing out the fuses in the BCM fuse panel and the relay. I decided the only other possible part was the actuator itself. I reasoned that it was not likely the BCM or TCM because all the other funtions were working properly. So I removed the waterfall, unbolted the actuator and found my issue..

The Bull Gear in the actuator was missing a few teeth. Easy fix. Hear is a few more pictures for detail.

This is the group of limit switches that bolt to the actuator housing

This is the pull down striker itself. The part your tonneau latches to.

So I started looking around to replace the gear. Not as easy. The entire accuator is easy enough to find, but costs between $200 to $400. I found one used on ebay for $114.00 out of a 05 C6. So more research was in order. Turns out GM has been using this part on cars including Caddilacs, Buicks, and Chevy's since the late 1980's. Here's a link to the part made by AC DELCO
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...2Bfor%2BDORMAN

I think that's still a stupid amount of money to replace a gear.

I checked Ebay.. There's plenty of people making this gear and selling it as a Cadillac/ or Cammaro component, (it works, I crossed referenced the parts)

Here's a search I used:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...&_osacat=33648

I've read on our forum's here that other folks have fought tooth and nail with their dealerships and repair shops, either trying to figure the problem out or the dealership/ mechanic charging $400+ dollars to fix this issue by replacing the entire actuator. I found the gear sells for between 5 and 12 bucks. It take 15 minutes or so to remove your waterfall, (search under C6 tech forum for waterfall removal) and the pull down actuator unbolts from the mount with three bolts. It would be a good idea to pull the 20 amp TPA fuse in your BCM fuse panel (the one at the feet area on the passenger side), while you perform this repair. Make sure when you put the actuator back together to screw the new gear down the threads of the striker such that the tabs on the side of the striker are straddling the smaller limit switch on the switch group. You don't want the switch either above the top tab or below the bottom one. Run your seats all the way forward and lean them to the dash to give yourself ample work area. Use clean rags to cover your work area because it's likely a little grease will end up on your fingers and you don't want that staining your interior. If anyone has any other questions about this subject I've become an expert lately, pm me if you have questions. Happy cruising !!!

-Litofeit

Last edited by Litofeit; 05-28-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Litofeit
Cruising

Originally Posted by cooldad
Does the latch which pulls it down make a grinding sound ? If so, it sounds just like what I had. The latch / striker had broken its plastic housing and would not pull the top down.

I'll see if I can post pictures later.
I posted some pics. I'm not suprised, looks like this part, in one way or another has been breaking for some time in GM's ; )
Old 05-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Many thanks for your efforts and especially for posting the fix, Very cool!!

Z//
Old 05-28-2012, 09:23 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Excellent info, thanks for posting.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:23 PM
bheathcoe_07
Advanced

Very nice find! I have the exact same issue. As you can see the gear broke apart and there are teeth missing. Man you saved me some cash. Owe you a beer!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...53668341_n.jpg
Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM
bheathcoe_07
Advanced

I ordered the new gear which will be here in a couple of days and was trying to decide whether or not to put everything back together or leave it apart. Started to put it back together and noticed two huge cracks in the plastic housing along with one of the screw holes. I may end up needing a whole new actuator
Old 05-05-2015, 10:42 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Is this the part number you used 20160587 ? Although it looks the same I want to be sure of the looks and description.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:16 PM
cooldad
Intermediate

Default Not sure

Originally Posted by RLSebring
Is this the part number you used 20160587 ? Although it looks the same I want to be sure of the looks and description.
I really don't remember the part number or even where I got my part.

I do remember thatI replaced the whole unit and it has worked fine ever since.

Good luck
Old 05-13-2015, 02:53 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Follow up...

PArt number 20160587 is the gear and cost a whooping 7.00. I discovered my housing was in about 3 pieces so I tracked down a housing since the complete unit runs 200.00 for the cheap one to over 400.00 for a GM model.

I located this
Amazon.com: Dorman 747-000 Trunk Lid Pull-down Motor: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 747-000 Trunk Lid Pull-down Motor: Automotive

Which is an exact match to the GM unit. For 46.00 and it comes with the gear as well. I gave it a shot and it works great.

I'll be listing an extra gear for sale soon.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:14 PM
73ls1
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

I just bought a 06 convertible. The power top doesn't work and dic says tonneau not shut. Will replacing the tonneau pull down motor make the power top work? Being a c3 owner I have alot to learn about the c6. Thanks Charlie.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:25 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by 73ls1
I just bought a 06 convertible. The power top doesn't work and dic says tonneau not shut. Will replacing the tonneau pull down motor make the power top work? Being a c3 owner I have alot to learn about the c6. Thanks Charlie.

If the tonneau is not latching and closing could very well be the gear4 inside the assembly being stripped or broken. Best bet is to remove the waterfall and take a look. Usually this symptom is the motor constantly running.

Does the top cycle all the way till the tonneau is almost closed then not latching and pulling down? Just replacing parts will get expensive.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:37 AM
copter1957
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Litofeit
Turns out it was indeed the pull down actuator. After narrowing out the fuses in the BCM fuse panel and the relay. I decided the only other possible part was the actuator itself. I reasoned that it was not likely the BCM or TCM because all the other funtions were working properly. So I removed the waterfall, unbolted the actuator and found my issue..

The Bull Gear in the actuator was missing a few teeth. Easy fix. Hear is a few more pictures for detail.

This is the group of limit switches that bolt to the actuator housing

This is the pull down striker itself. The part your tonneau latches to.

So I started looking around to replace the gear. Not as easy. The entire accuator is easy enough to find, but costs between $200 to $400. I found one used on ebay for $114.00 out of a 05 C6. So more research was in order. Turns out GM has been using this part on cars including Caddilacs, Buicks, and Chevy's since the late 1980's. Here's a link to the part made by AC DELCO
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...2Bfor%2BDORMAN

I think that's still a stupid amount of money to replace a gear.

I checked Ebay.. There's plenty of people making this gear and selling it as a Cadillac/ or Cammaro component, (it works, I crossed referenced the parts)

Here's a search I used:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...&_osacat=33648

I've read on our forum's here that other folks have fought tooth and nail with their dealerships and repair shops, either trying to figure the problem out or the dealership/ mechanic charging $400+ dollars to fix this issue by replacing the entire actuator. I found the gear sells for between 5 and 12 bucks. It take 15 minutes or so to remove your waterfall, (search under C6 tech forum for waterfall removal) and the pull down actuator unbolts from the mount with three bolts. It would be a good idea to pull the 20 amp TPA fuse in your BCM fuse panel (the one at the feet area on the passenger side), while you perform this repair. Make sure when you put the actuator back together to screw the new gear down the threads of the striker such that the tabs on the side of the striker are straddling the smaller limit switch on the switch group. You don't want the switch either above the top tab or below the bottom one. Run your seats all the way forward and lean them to the dash to give yourself ample work area. Use clean rags to cover your work area because it's likely a little grease will end up on your fingers and you don't want that staining your interior. If anyone has any other questions about this subject I've become an expert lately, pm me if you have questions. Happy cruising !!!

-Litofeit
Could you give me a link to were to find the gear for the actuator?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:56 AM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Copter1957 - how did this work out for you ... I'm having the same problem with my 2008 base ... :-(

Get notified of new replies

To 07 C6 Automatic convertible top troubles.

Quick Reply: 07 C6 Automatic convertible top troubles.