C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird problem. RPM/speedo gauges dont work and no power steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:13 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default weird problem. RPM/speedo gauges dont work and no power steering

I had this happen to me probably a total of 12 times.

sometime when I start my car my rpm gauge and my speed gauge does not work (only happened when the car is already all warmed up) also the car drives weird (it looks like it misfires!) and the exhaust note changes too. also my steering gets really tough as if there is no power steering in the car at all!!!

we never figured out the problem. first time this happened was about 4 months ago. all I did is disconnect the battery cables and put it back and it was back to normal. no what I do is just keep turning the car off and on until the gauges work then I know its back to normal lol

it just happened to me just few hours ago!! and now I am getting frustrated. I already have other problems going on but I am just tired and want to get everything fixed on this car.

the dealership cant figure it out. my shop cant figure it out too.

anyone have had this problem before or know what to look for!!!? here is a vid I took just to show the problem

in the vid I revved it but you can hear how its struggling and it sounds weird.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:47 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

bump it happened to me yesterday too
Old 06-24-2012, 09:06 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

I believe that the power steering reduces the amount of "help" it gives the driver as speed increases. From your description of the problem, it appears the computer that is controlling the amount of "help" the power steering provides doesn't realize the car is runnung.

Kinda guessing here but HTH. Good luck, hopefully one of the vette electrical genius guys will chime in....
Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Here's a bump.

Could use more info to rule our suspect stuff:

Any accidents, are you original owner, any mods, other repairs/ maintenance (like a clutch) history as some examples?
Any codes set...did you plug in a Tech II?
You have a year 2007 Coupe w/ manual trans?
When was the battery replaced?

FWIW...check all your fuse boxes, check battery cable tightness at both end, and of course test your battery. I am thinking main BCM issue if I was to guess.

Good hunting
Old 06-24-2012, 08:46 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CGZO6
I believe that the power steering reduces the amount of "help" it gives the driver as speed increases. From your description of the problem, it appears the computer that is controlling the amount of "help" the power steering provides doesn't realize the car is runnung.

Kinda guessing here but HTH. Good luck, hopefully one of the vette electrical genius guys will chime in....
Thanks for your post. I thinks its the other way. because at lower speeds the steering should be really easy to turn. it gets harder when driving. it helps for parking ...etc

but it does also make sense. it gets hard because it think the car is not running. all other gauges work fine. no check engine light too when this happens. not sure what to look for really.

my starter just went bad. I will buy a brand new one and also replace the battery and get a brand new one. thats the only thing I can think off now. I will check all the fuses too!

I know the battery on those cars can cause some weird problems. so I will do that and see what happens.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:02 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Here's a bump.

Could use more info to rule our suspect stuff:

Any accidents, are you original owner, any mods, other repairs/ maintenance (like a clutch) history as some examples?
Any codes set...did you plug in a Tech II?
You have a year 2007 Coupe w/ manual trans?
When was the battery replaced?

FWIW...check all your fuse boxes, check battery cable tightness at both end, and of course test your battery. I am thinking main BCM issue if I was to guess.

Good hunting
never been in any accidents. I am the 2nd owner. owned the car since 2009. I had a heads and cam with bolt-ons installed before and no problems at all. the problem started when the engine was pulled off the car. when we reinstalled it those lights came on. we did a full job. basically everything is new from engine, clutch, transmission...etc all susp and brake stuff is stock. battery was replaced about 10 months.

car is 2007 C6 Z06. Yes manual trans.

but I know those light came on because the engine was pulled off. the code we pulled is posted above in the original post. its C0110.

the reason I know is that just yesterday this came on on a different z06 that we pulled the engine off and installed it back again. also happened on another Z06. same thing. pulled the stock engine and installed a 434ci LSX. thats what all three cars have in common. pulling the engine out.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

C0110 is the antilock brake pump motor circuit which gets it power from the Electronic Brake Control Module. This ebcm is also related to the ves - Variable Effort Steering system.

That would be where to start...you have a service manual yes?

I noticed you have another thread on this same issue...so have you first checked the battery cable connections and tested/replaced the battery as suggest in both threads.

From your description this issue has happened on three Vettes you've had major work on. Each repair involved removing the stock engine and reinstalling a modified engine.

What about the codes on the other two Vettes?

Too many varibles....you'll have to trace wiring and keep checking for codes.

FWIW
other than the C0110 lead above....
a) there is something connected or something done incorrectly on all three cars or
b) a pinched wire "somewhere" on all three cars or
c) just maybe if a "tune" was downloaded that tune is faulty.

Again good hunting...keep us abreast when you solve this.

Last edited by Kenny94945; 06-26-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-2012, 01:02 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

ever since I changed the starter and the battery, I never had this problem. its been 3 weeks now. but I still have the ABS light always on and now traction control comes on and off every 5mins when driving...... so kinda got better now.......
Old 01-23-2019, 06:30 AM
ghanem
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Having the same issue

Hi. I having the same problem with my 2007 z06, engine broke down and I got crate engine.
the car not driveable because I can not trust it.
did you find what was the problem and did you sort it out?
thanks
Old 12-21-2020, 04:53 AM
Mustafa jan
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
I had this happen to me probably a total of 12 times.

sometime when I start my car my rpm gauge and my speed gauge does not work (only happened when the car is already all warmed up) also the car drives weird (it looks like it misfires!) and the exhaust note changes too. also my steering gets really tough as if there is no power steering in the car at all!!!

we never figured out the problem. first time this happened was about 4 months ago. all I did is disconnect the battery cables and put it back and it was back to normal. no what I do is just keep turning the car off and on until the gauges work then I know its back to normal lol

it just happened to me just few hours ago!! and now I am getting frustrated. I already have other problems going on but I am just tired and want to get everything fixed on this car.

the dealership cant figure it out. my shop cant figure it out too.

anyone have had this problem before or know what to look for!!!? here is a vid I took just to show the problem

in the vid I revved it but you can hear how its struggling and it sounds weird.

can you please tell me if you found the issue? I just experienced this same thing with my zo6 yesterday which is making me paranoid 🤯
Old 12-21-2020, 08:06 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It was starter wires. We got this issue on different cars and it always seems like starter/battery issue.

check your starter/and starter wires.
Old 07-21-2023, 11:06 AM
Will_730
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
never been in any accidents. I am the 2nd owner. owned the car since 2009. I had a heads and cam with bolt-ons installed before and no problems at all. the problem started when the engine was pulled off the car. when we reinstalled it those lights came on. we did a full job. basically everything is new from engine, clutch, transmission...etc all susp and brake stuff is stock. battery was replaced about 10 months.

car is 2007 C6 Z06. Yes manual trans.

but I know those light came on because the engine was pulled off. the code we pulled is posted above in the original post. its C0110.

the reason I know is that just yesterday this came on on a different z06 that we pulled the engine off and installed it back again. also happened on another Z06. same thing. pulled the stock engine and installed a 434ci LSX. thats what all three cars have in common. pulling the engine out.
hope this helps people in the future:

Get notified of new replies

To weird problem. RPM/speedo gauges dont work and no power steering

Quick Reply: weird problem. RPM/speedo gauges dont work and no power steering