C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ZR1 clutch install problem. Help appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:22 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Default New ZR1 clutch install problem. Help appreciated.

Hi everyone,
I am at my wits end. I've had a long list of disappointing clutches in my car (strange engagement, chattering, etc.) and finally decided to put the ZR1 clutch in to get smooth engagement. I did not like the way the stock clutch felt or the two aftermarkets I tried.

The mechanic who installed the ZR1 clutch (purchased from Zip Corvette as a kit including flywheel, disks, pp, bolts, slave) returned the car to me with it not being able to go into gear with the engine running. Turn off the car, and it slips right into gear. I was told this was because of air in the clutch hydraulics not allowing the clutch to fully disengage and it would correct itself. It is also good to point out that the mechanic predicted bleeding the system would be a devil of a task if i did not replace the master cylinder at the same time as the slave (but I had my doubts and did not have the master replaced.)

So anyway, its 3 weeks later and I have bled the clutch with both the crack and step on pedal method and by using a phoenix systems "reverse" bleeder to force fresh fluid from my remote bleeding line, up through the slave... and into the reservoir. I've bleed the snot out of it and gotten lots of air out. Problem is still there.

Also, there is a sound like a loose steal plate rattling around coming from under the car.

Please, please, please.... if anyone can think of a solution, identify the true problem, etc. please give me your input.

I discussed with my mechanic the possibility of a disk being installed backwards and he says it can't be done. The mech is willing to pull the whole thing apart again to see if he put it in wrong, but if he did not, its gonna cost me a second installation fee.

Thanks for any ideas.

-Dale
Old 07-05-2012, 04:45 PM
SVTnSD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard of this happening with other multi-plate clutches.

check it out.. this thread may help
http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...-clutch-2.html

Its easy to install one of the plates incorrectly (backwards) and the mechanic would never know it.

The issue will not fix itself. Your clutch assembly needs to come apart before serious damage takes place.

The mechanic who did the work needs to "fix it" and there should not be any "if I did it wrong" statements going towards the customer. Either its right or its wrong and right now "its wrong and the mechanic needs to fix it for free".

Old 07-05-2012, 04:52 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

I dont believe its in wrong. I think it would be making alot of noise if it were because of the way the center of one side over the disk sticks out it would hit the flywheel. I dont k he could get the pressure plate on either.

When you drive it can you shift normally?

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:09 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
I dont believe its in wrong. I think it would be making alot of noise if it were because of the way the center of one side over the disk sticks out it would hit the flywheel. I dont k he could get the pressure plate on either.

When you drive it can you shift normally?
I can drive it, but not normally. Its very hard to force into gear while stopped. Once rolling, I can shift between gears almost completely normally. Up-shifts are easy, as it will slide into the next gear as soon as the rpms drop to the right speed. Downshifting is alot harder, as you have to blip the throttle to just the right sweet spot and then kind of force it into the lower gear.

Other info. The clutch is barely hanging, so installed a Tick master cylinder thinking it could push just a little extra fluid to get the thing disengaged. No luck. Adjusted to full throw the clutch feels like it disengages at the half way point, but still drags enough even on the floor that changing gears while not rolling is close to impossible.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 07-05-2012, 05:29 PM
BEERSNOB
Intermediate

This may not be what you want ot hear but....First off if the mechanic told you the problem would fix itself he is a moron and I would question the install.Second,people seem to be having a lot of issues with the ls9 assembly in other model c6's.Find a reputable shop with compitent tech's and go from there.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Dale,
Something is way wrong. First off that is a factory GM clutch, the flywheel I am not going to say who made it, but it is dead on to the factory flywheel except for the crankshaft bolt pattern, I just when and remeasured one off the shelf and a oem flywheel, they are the same.
So we also pulled the clutch and if you were not paying attention you could bolt the loose disk in backwards. You would really have to not be paying any mind to it because the disk has a steel hub that sticks out on one side, this goes inside the pressure plate, but it also happens to fit nicely inside the flywheel. If it is mounted in the flywheel the disk will not touch the flywheel but it may if you forced the bolts into the pressure plate.It should really make allot of noise like this thought since you would have metal on metal turning against each other unless is has already ground it out, which is possible. I am afraid it is going to all have to come out, and first off, I would find another mechanic and then just send the old mechanic the bill. I can't believe he gave you the car back like that.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by BEERSNOB
This may not be what you want ot hear but....First off if the mechanic told you the problem would fix itself he is a moron and I would question the install.Second,people seem to be having a lot of issues with the ls9 assembly in other model c6's.Find a reputable shop with compitent tech's and go from there.
Who is having issues, we sell a ton of them, heck I have some with over 50k on them already. I just finished our car which made over 600 rwhp with one in it and it drives like a stock car. I think you are dead on about his mechanic though.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:39 PM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

We would be glad to help you with this issue. We have done alot of these clutches and we can get your car in the right direction just need about 1/2 hr to diagnose. Everything is measured when we install a clutch.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:41 PM
LethalPerformanceTX
Burning Brakes

Would not be an issue to look at it.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:32 PM
SVTnSD
Intermediate

I agree with LethalPerformanceTX. Put it on a rack and take a peek. Maybe a more qualified mechanic can do the work and do it right. All that is left is to file legal action against the incompetent mechanic.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Thanks for all the input.

J.Abbot, I appreciate you taking time to test the backwards disk to flywheel fit. From looking at pictures I had surmised that the spring hub would likely fit into the relief of the flywheel bolt area. If this is what is going on, the hub is grinding on the flywheel and the friction part of the disk is not contacting the flywheel. Just a guess. Then all the clutch action that is actually working is on the other disk.

Is it possible for this to NOT destroy something?

Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Lethal,
can anything be determined without taking the thing apart. Looks like all the clutch is enclosed in a single piece bell housing with no inspection panel.

If I bring the car to you, I would like to bring it in to you when you have time to re-do the install if needed... to save having to make multiple trips.

Can you PM me the price of a clutch installation?

Thanks,
Dale
Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
Thanks for all the input.

J.Abbot, I appreciate you taking time to test the backwards disk to flywheel fit. From looking at pictures I had surmised that the spring hub would likely fit into the relief of the flywheel bolt area. If this is what is going on, the hub is grinding on the flywheel and the friction part of the disk is not contacting the flywheel. Just a guess. Then all the clutch action that is actually working is on the other disk.

Is it possible for this to NOT destroy something?

Thanks for all the input guys.
No, if that is the case it is pretty much destroyed, at least the disk and flywheel. I don't know if I would trust the pressure plate at that point. If this is the case and it is destroyed, call me and I will help the best we can.
Thanks
Justin
Old 07-05-2012, 10:03 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

can someone post a pic of the proper way for the 2nd disk to be installed? i am going to be putting one in, in a few weeks and want to only take this apart once :doh:
Old 07-06-2012, 12:06 AM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Originally Posted by dvandentop
can someone post a pic of the proper way for the 2nd disk to be installed? i am going to be putting one in, in a few weeks and want to only take this apart once :doh:
So, there are two disks. One disk is factory installed and is captive inside the pressure plate. The second disk is clearly marked in white letters "flywheel side." The only way to mess up the disk orientation is to be careless. Take your time and double check the writing on the disk and you will get it right.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:12 AM
SimpleC6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a new mechanic before he f*s up the rest of your vehicle.

Like they say, never let a boy do a man's job.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:13 AM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
No, if that is the case it is pretty much destroyed, at least the disk and flywheel. I don't know if I would trust the pressure plate at that point. If this is the case and it is destroyed, call me and I will help the best we can.
Thanks
Justin
Thanks Justin,
I appreciate any help I can get trying to recover from this situation. I'll contact you when I find out what kind of mess I'm in.

-Dale

Get notified of new replies

To New ZR1 clutch install problem. Help appreciated.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:38 AM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Originally Posted by SimpleC6
Find a new mechanic before he f*s up the rest of your vehicle.

Like they say, never let a boy do a man's job.
I'll hold my tongue about the installer since I don't know the cause of the problem yet. Maybe its something outside his control. Once I know what the problem is I'll be able to comment with knowledge.

-D
Old 07-06-2012, 01:45 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

My Mantic acts very similarly to yours as well. I know for a fact it's not disengaging as I put it on jack stands and pushed the clutch in and ran it through the gears and watched the wheels spin up to 30 mph.

I ordered a tick adjustable to see if that could take care of the problem. I got it yesterday but I haven't installed it yet as I've been busy with the nitrous install.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:30 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Justin,
I did my Tick last week, so if you need any helpful info just ask.

I will offer up these tidbits.

-Take out your drivers seat so you can lay on the floor
-Buy a long 13mm gear wrench. This will make removing pedal box MUCH easier.
-When twisting the new MC into place, its almost impossible to do with your left hand, which seemed like the only hand that could get into that place. If you sit facing the car and stick your right hand into the access hold you will be able to grab the meatiest part of the MC and twist it into place pretty easy.
-It took me WAY too long.

Good luck and i hope it fixes your problem. Sadly it did not fix mine.

Quick Reply: New ZR1 clutch install problem. Help appreciated.