C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally! Fixed the clanging in the rear of my C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Finally! Fixed the clanging in the rear of my C6

Bought a used 05 m6 Z51 with 36k miles recently. Really nice car except it had all kinds of noises emanating from the rear of the car times. Strange, you could drive it for miles with no noise but particularly at low speed it would clang bang and click. Did my research here on the forum and started going down the list. Retorqued the axel nuts with some locktite and the clicking was gone. Changed out all the sway bar end links front and rear. The rear ones in particular were shot. Noise... Better but still had a rattle and a banging. Changed out the trans and differential lubes with Redline and friction modifier in the diff. No change. Took apart the the rear hatch latch mechanism, found that loose, retourqued the bolts... no change. Looked at the exhaust system at least 4 separate times. Realigned everything to make sure nothing was touching or had the ability to touch the body or frame anywhere. Even found the Center exhaust hangers loose, took those out completely. The rattles were now all gone but still had the banging at times.

I have yet to have a car that I couldn't get squared away, this one was going to be no exception. I started the take note of what circumstances caused the worst clanging. It happened most when I accelerated hard from a standstill or took a tight right hand turn sharply. The last time it happened the clanging continued even after the car came to a stand still. I suspected the exhaust system again.

This afternoon I had some time so I put the back of the car on jack stands and started looking at the exhaust system. Moved and pounded on the system to see if it would hit anything... nothing! Lying there under the car looking up I noticed that the driver side muffler was slightly canted to one side. I also noticed that the hanger wires were shiny almost their entire length. I realised that although all the exhaust clamps were tight there was still movement in two of the sections. It's a magnaflow system. I found that I could take hold of the system and move it backwards to contact the muffler against the hanger bracket. Not only could the system move backwards, it was too long resulting in contact of the muffler with the frame... at the back of the car. I undid all the clamps and literally shortened the system.

The result, no more banging and clanging. Took it for an hours drive this evening and tried every which way to get it to bang... nothing, quiet as can be. Going to put it on a friends lift tomorrow and spot weld the pieces into place so it can't happen again.

Hope this helps some of you with this irritating and embarrassing problem. Good luck, hope you find what's causing your issue, maybe it's this.
H
Old 07-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's interesting cause I have a magnaflow also and I am struggling to get the clamps to work well. Even at max tightening it seems that the pipes can still move. I'm considering new clamps.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

^^New clamps sound like the way to go...^^

OP, nice going and nice post!

John

Get notified of new replies

To Finally! Fixed the clanging in the rear of my C6

Quick Reply: Finally! Fixed the clanging in the rear of my C6