C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need an alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 AM
TexVette25
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need an alignment?

I added Baer billet spacers in the front and back of my 2010 Grand Sport and I lowered the car all the way on aftermarket lowering bolts. Do I need an alignment? Also I read somewhere on the Forums to get the rear tires aligned as well? I didn't know the rear could be or needed to be aligned? Something about the wear & tear on the rear tires will be uneven after spacing them? I only spaced them 3/8 inch in the rear and 1/2 inch in the front. Looks hot btw!! Pics to come.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Bill Suttie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you need a 4 wheel alignment.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Full alignment.

You need to specify what you want or else theyre going to do a tire saving alignment that doesnt benefit your performance.

The spacer issue is that some or most of these cars are a bit different from one side to the other. The distances you have added shouldnt be an issue but if you start seeing some rubbing on the tires you can always go with a thinner spacer.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:18 PM
TexVette25
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
Which Baer spacers did you use? I lowered my '12 GS only 2 turns front, & 2 turns rear(maxed out) & then had the alignment checked & it was still nicely in spec.

I've since lowered it more by cutting 1/4" (1 rib) off the rear lowering bolts, & turning the fronts an additional 2 turns to their max, so I will get the alignment checked again.

Many tire shops offer a free alignment check, although I tend to think they can 'interpret' the alignment readings to suit them, as I've had 2 different shops give me quite different alignment readings on the same day. This likely just means there's a variance between alignment machines, I've heard Hunter is considered top notch, but who knows.
I used the billet spacers? 1/2 in the front and 3/8 inch in the back.

I found a shop here that does a klot of lowered performance cars. THey said its $54.99 for a 4 wheel alignment which I thought was very reasonable.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Any time you affect the ride height, it will affect the control arm position which can affect camber. Camber will have a direct impact on toe... Just the nature of the beast. I doubt that the spacers will have as significant effect on the overall alignment specs.

If you're handy, there are a couple good write-ups in a DIY alignment. David Farmer's old website had a good write-up on it, but I'm not sure if that's still active. Not bad to learn, I taught myself over a 6 pack and an afternoon. If you don't feel comfortable with a DIY, maybe fine a shop that offers lifetime alignments so you can pay once and align whenever you want.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by taken19
Any time you affect the ride height, it will affect the control arm position which can affect camber. Camber will have a direct impact on toe... Just the nature of the beast. I doubt that the spacers will have as significant effect on the overall alignment specs.

If you're handy, there are a couple good write-ups in a DIY alignment. David Farmer's old website had a good write-up on it, but I'm not sure if that's still active. Not bad to learn, I taught myself over a 6 pack and an afternoon. If you don't feel comfortable with a DIY, maybe fine a shop that offers lifetime alignments so you can pay once and align whenever you want.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

It seems about 50% of us need an alignment when we pick our cars up.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:20 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Suttie
Yes you need a 4 wheel alignment.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

A four-wheel alignment using PFADT's Street or Track specs is a wise decision IMHO.

Have the car corner balanced as well.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 08-01-2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: sp

Get notified of new replies

To Do I need an alignment?

Quick Reply: Do I need an alignment?