C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla 11815 S-Type Two Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Borla 11815 S-Type Two Experiences?

Hey guys, I'm a big Borla fan and looking to buy exhaust soon. I think I have decided on the 11815 system for my daily driver, but I wanted some input on the drone. I've heard the older twisted looking s-type systems were pretty droney, and that's something I want to avoid. Can anybody who has this setup give me some opinions on it before I commit?

Old 08-06-2012, 06:06 PM
mattdracing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant say i have personal experience with the s type II but i have heard from many people that have this exhaust that they dont drone at all compared to the older borla stinger exhaust systems for the vettes. much newer technology. especially if you have stock manifolds you wont have any problems i dont believe
Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Go2GuyTX
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you the new borla atak does not drone and it is the more aggressive exhaust of the 3, and it's running through headers now without any problems on my daily driver
Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 PM
cooldad
Intermediate

Default 2007 Z-51 Conv No Drone

I have these mufflers on my car with Kooks 1 3/4 headers, X-pipe and Hi flow cats and it sounds great. You can pull into the driveway and not wake the neighbors.

When you hit it, jeeze, everyone knows you've got a big V8 ... very cool. The only thing I'm still getting used to is the popping on deceleration and in between shifts. (6sp manual)

If you play with the gas pedal a bit, you can keep the pops to a minimum. I like the sound.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Condavi
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed the Borla Stype II on a 2013 Grand Sport. The set up has no drone as advertised, however, the set up is very quiet, not at all like the muscle car sound i was expecting. Somewhat louder than stock but very mild from what it is advertised as the "classic muscle car sound". I will be moving on to a new system soon (after a very difficult installation). Atak, b&B bullets, not sure but something with sme growl.
The following users liked this post:
nallen18 (06-16-2018)
Old 08-08-2012, 03:33 PM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mattdracing
i cant say i have personal experience with the s type II but i have heard from many people that have this exhaust that they dont drone at all compared to the older borla stinger exhaust systems for the vettes. much newer technology. especially if you have stock manifolds you wont have any problems i dont believe
I was going to order the new style S type. Called Borla first to ask about drone with my headers and A6. They told me that combination would drone and highly recommended the new style Touring. I bought and installed it but initially was a little dissapointed. I thought it was too quiet and did not really care for the tone. I got used to it and decided it sounded ok. Started travelling out of town and after being gone a week or two came back and drove my car. Found that I really don't much care for the sound. I'll probably put my NPP's back on and sell these.

Just my .02
Old 08-08-2012, 06:00 PM
pcolarossi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wheelman
Hey guys, I'm a big Borla fan and looking to buy exhaust soon. I think I have decided on the 11815 system for my daily driver, but I wanted some input on the drone. I've heard the older twisted looking s-type systems were pretty droney, and that's something I want to avoid. Can anybody who has this setup give me some opinions on it before I commit?

I wanted to buy these for my 2005, but after reading on the forum about some fitment issues, I decided to go with the Corsa Sports. I would definitely find out if the issue has been resolved, before buying these.

Pete
Old 08-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Go2GuyTX
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcolarossi
I wanted to buy these for my 2005, but after reading on the forum about some fitment issues, I decided to go with the Corsa Sports. I would definitely find out if the issue has been resolved, before buying these.

Pete
I have a 2007 and I can say that after putting the headers on, there are times when the mufflers bump the car and you can hear. I'm used to already and it doesn't happen all the time but you know when it happens. Funny part is that you don't really hear it outside the car, lol. Didn't have the issue before the headers but not gonna make me take them off...

Good luck with the decision
Old 10-27-2012, 05:24 PM
cncmanpa
1st Gear

Default Borla ATAK

just installed # 11816 on my 07 convertible - nice harmonic low DB rumble at start and idle, but when I get on it WOW - sounds great..
Old 10-27-2012, 05:45 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Been comparing the S Type II to against the B&B Bullets.

There are plenty of YouTube vids out there (which is horrible compared to listening in person, but what else can you do).

I think they sound really similar but you have to wonder if the pipes in between are contributing to the tone. I didn't recognize the part numbers in this thread, then realized it was for just the muffler end, compared to the whole 'system.'

Adding even more to the mix is plain X-pipe versus catted X-pipe versus X-pipe with resonators, whatever those do.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 PM
nc_c5
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the original Stingers on my '06 6-speed for a year and a half. The drone at around 1600 RPM was very annoying. I shifted around it.

A little over a month ago I bought the S Type II 11815 and installed them. My son and I drove from Winston-Salem NC to Bowling Green and back, going through the Smokey Mountains. There was no drone.

The Type II is not as loud as the old Stingers, but for me the car is much more enjoyable on long trips with the Type IIs.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Mully1983 (11-26-2018)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:38 PM
68charcoal
Intermediate

Default Thank you for the info all!

I am considering the same set up and plan on going with Kooks 1 3/4 with center section later then cam. I think from what i have heard here Ill order the 11815 soon.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:26 AM
DHack
Intermediate

I have these installed on my stock 06 A6 an love them. No drone at all. Originally I did have fitment issues. My understanding was they did not have the over-axle bend right and they would rattle. I give Borla credit, they sent me new pipes with the correct bend and no problems since. They even paid for the re-installation as well. I hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Go2GuyTX
Instructor

Originally Posted by DHack
I have these installed on my stock 06 A6 an love them. No drone at all. Originally I did have fitment issues. My understanding was they did not have the over-axle bend right and they would rattle. I give Borla credit, they sent me new pipes with the correct bend and no problems since. They even paid for the re-installation as well. I hope this helps.
Were these being bolted up to headers? Only ask because mine still rattle around but they do "fit" (in a general sense of the word)

Get notified of new replies

To Borla 11815 S-Type Two Experiences?

Quick Reply: Borla 11815 S-Type Two Experiences?