C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Removal... hits on block

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:44 PM
gar360
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Removal... hits on block

I am attempting to remove the starter from my base '06. I removed the 2 long botls and unhooked to plug and the 2 powers wire. However, I can't remove because, when I try to slide it back, the bolt boss on the engine side hits on a locating lug on the side of the block. Arggg. It looks like I have to disconnect the exhaust and lower it down in order to be able to rotate the started so that the boss is on top and therefore won't hit the lug. Is this correct??? Do I have to unbolt the exhaust pipes from the exhaust manifold and drop it down??? or is there another way???
Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

This staright from the shop manual:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
2. Remove the right catalytic converter.
3. Remove the positive battery cable nut from starter.
4. Remove the positive battery cable terminal and the engine harness leads from the solenoid.
5. Remove the S terminal nut.
6. Remove the purple wire lead and washer from the solenoid.
7. Support the starter motor.
8. Remove the starter motor bolts.
9. Remove the starter motor.

Last edited by crusher1; 10-30-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 PM
gar360
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the reply

Thanks for sending this info to me. I also called a local Corvette repair garage and their mechanic confirmed that you usually have to disconnect the exhaust pipes. I say "pipes" because the two pipes are tied together with a cross pipe just behind the tranny. So you have to unbolt both sides and lower them together. Wish me luck!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I also noticed that stupid 'boss' that I have no idea what it was for. But certainly doesn't have any function on the LS3. I didn't have to remove the starter, since I was only drilling the bellhousing covers for ventilation, and could manage to drill it with the starter just moved out of the way and the cover rotated downward, but it was a PITA. I even thought of cutting that 'boss' with a grinder/cutter if I ever need to remove the starter. Hope that's never the case . Hey, find out if you need a new gasket for the cat. You should be able to reuse the front X-pipe ones. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by gar360
Thanks for sending this info to me. I also called a local Corvette repair garage and their mechanic confirmed that you usually have to disconnect the exhaust pipes. I say "pipes" because the two pipes are tied together with a cross pipe just behind the tranny. So you have to unbolt both sides and lower them together. Wish me luck!

No problem....Good luck Gar360..Hope all goes well with the removal and install

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Removal... hits on block

Quick Reply: Starter Removal... hits on block