C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel/weight Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Default Wheel/weight Dilemma

I've been shopping wheels for my C6 and really like the look of these, but am concerned about the additional weight.

http://www.factoryreproductions.com/...?idcategory=72

Looks to be about 3lbs more per wheel. How much will I notice the difference with the added weight? If it's not something I'll notice then I might move forward with getting them, but if it's any noticable difference, then I'd pass.

Thanks all
Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Assuming you're planning on using street tires for normal driving, you'll never notice the difference. If you're racing the car, get the lightest wheel you can afford and don't worry about how they look.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Added unsprung weight is never good, not only for handling, acceleration/braking and ride, but increased wheel bearing wear (the least of my concerns, since it's minor), especially with more aggressive offset. Whether you'll feel it or not depends what you're going to use the car for, and how 'sensitive' you are. Your only option is going with non-runflat tires, and hopefully offset that gain. By the way, what's important is the wheel/tire combo weight difference, not just the wheels. If those wheels are larger in diameter (you didn't say), and width the same, tires will be automatically lighter. And non-RFTs even more. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 AM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

As much as I'd like to take the car to the track, I don't see that happening much in the next few years, so It's pretty much going to be a street car. I'm not thrilled about the idea of adding unsprung weight for the reasons you stated, but I'm just wondering how much I'm really going to notice on the street.

The wheels are the same size as the stock C6 wheels
I'm not running on runflats currently.
Car is a Z51

In the end, it's a sports car, so if I'm going to make it noticeably worse performance wise, I would pass. Just not sure what the threshold would be before I hit that point. The fact of the matter is that I don't want to spend a fortune on wheels, but I do want something different that I like on there. I'm considering powdercoating, but am concerned about how I would go about that process of having to put the car up on jack stands. Finding affordable wheels that I like that I can just swap on seems to be the least painful option at this point.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMvette7
As much as I'd like to take the car to the track, I don't see that happening much in the next few years, so It's pretty much going to be a street car. I'm not thrilled about the idea of adding unsprung weight for the reasons you stated, but I'm just wondering how much I'm really going to notice on the street.

Car is a Z51

In the end, it's a sports car, so if I'm going to make it noticeably worse performance wise, I would pass. Just not sure what the threshold would be before I hit that point. The fact of the matter is that I don't want to spend a fortune on wheels, but I do want something different that I like on there. I'm considering powdercoating, but am concerned about how I would go about that process of having to put the car up on jack stands. Finding affordable wheels that I like that I can just swap on seems to be the least painful option at this point.
You won't notice a thing based on this being a street car. The OEM wheels are pretty light considering. Any reproduction wheel will be heavier but again you won't be able to "feel" it in any regard on the street.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Just to give you an idea, I put 20" SRT wheels on a Grand Cherokee Overland HEMI (before getting an actual SRT), which were exactly 15 lbs heavier each (but with identical perimeter/diameter) than the stock 20s (265/50 vs 295/45), and the difference was astounding. And I'm not talking about ride, which was obviously stiffer. But the way it drove. Lethargic acceleration. And felt like I was hauling a trailer when braking. Ride wasn't that badly affected (from 50 to 45 aspect ratio), but potholes felt like there was no suspension. The whole suspension tuning and handling went to crap.

If you extrapolate from that experience, 3 lbs (1/5th of my difference) shouldn't be hardly noticeable on the street. I don't know what Vette you have, but if it's a base, have you considered the gumby wheels? They look great. But best of all, they're FORGED, so should be considerably lighter than other stock wheels. Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 01-29-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JDMvette7

Car is a Z51

A couple of quick considerations to think about are:

Since you changed from RF to non-RF did you notice a difference in weight? Or was the handling, etc. improved/reduced by the tire type?

The weight of a new tire vs. one with ~2-3/32 remaining is ballpark around 5 pounds. So do you notice any problems when you put on new tires?

The tire itself is far more responsible for how the car handles than the weight of the wheel.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I wish I could answer that for you! I purchased the car with new tires on it which weren't the run flats

I'm concerned about these wheels because I found them in a different location and they were listed at about 5-6lbs more per wheel. Not sure who to trust! I really might have to figure out a way to have the stock ones powdercoated...

Thank you to everyone who has helped so far with this!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to get new rims but refuse to add weight to the car in doing so since I like going to the drag strip once in a while. And I have yet to find an affordable alternative to the stock ones that are also lighter. Good luck in your search and keep us posted!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

I have been looking around at aftermarket wheels too.
Here is the problem:
They weigh allot and sellers that dont list the weight know it.
Example the new Cray Hawks weight 31 lbs 19x rear I was told from Discount tire.
They all seem to be made in china too....
Just expect to gain 20 to 25lbs with replicas over stock.
Best ones I have found are TSW I think they are assembled in China but TSW has strict guidelines and they are forged. Can get a set around 1250 approximately and Weight is actually lower then stock too.
The high priced 4k + forged wheels just seem to be too high priced and will certainly give you buyers remorse after a couple months.
just my .02 cents...
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeFiveOhFun
I want to get new rims but refuse to add weight to the car in doing so since I like going to the drag strip once in a while. And I have yet to find an affordable alternative to the stock ones that are also lighter. Good luck in your search and keep us posted!
TRUTH ^^^^ I got the z06 replicas and they weight a ton...now that I upgraded to a supercharger ...getting rid of them for something else...unsure still.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
I have been looking around at aftermarket wheels too.
Here is the problem:
They weigh allot and sellers that dont list the weight know it.
Example the new Cray Hawks weight 31 lbs 19x rear I was told from Discount tire.
They all seem to be made in china too....
Just expect to gain 20 to 25lbs with replicas over stock.
Best ones I have found are TSW I think they are assembled in China but TSW has strict guidelines and they are forged. Can get a set around 1250 approximately and Weight is actually lower then stock too.
The high priced 4k + forged wheels just seem to be too high priced and will certainly give you buyers remorse after a couple months.
just my .02 cents...
I looked at TSW website but didn't see any weight info. I should have taken mine to the drag strip before I changed out the runflats just to see if I noticed a difference. Please link me if you find info on the TSW weight specs.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Audacious Nick
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

A basic way to look at it: by adding 12 lbs of rotational mass, it will feel like you strapped 120 pounds to the vehicle. And that doesn't include suspension and braking characteristics.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:07 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Just to give you an idea, I put 20" SRT wheels on a Grand Cherokee Overland HEMI (before getting an actual SRT), which were exactly 15 lbs heavier each (but with identical perimeter/diameter) than the stock 20s (265/50 vs 295/45), and the difference was astounding. And I'm not talking about ride, which was obviously stiffer. But the way it drove. Lethargic acceleration. And felt like I was hauling a trailer when braking. Ride wasn't that badly affected (from 50 to 45 aspect ratio), but potholes felt like there was no suspension. The whole suspension tuning and handling went to crap.

If you extrapolate from that experience, 3 lbs (1/5th of my difference) shouldn't be hardly noticeable on the street. I don't know what Vette you have, but if it's a base, have you considered the gumby wheels? They look great. But best of all, they're FORGED, so should be considerably lighter than other stock wheels. Good luck.

15lbs a wheel..... That definitely slows things down!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:24 PM
DenverdansC6
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2010 1LT coupe came with the optional chrome "forged" wheels. Are the standard non-chrome wheels also forged or are they a "cast" wheel? Since my wheels were a $1850 option, I wouldn't think all that went into the cost of the chromimg. - Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I don't know what Vette you have, but if it's a base, have you considered the gumby wheels? They look great. But best of all, they're FORGED, so should be considerably lighter than other stock wheels. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DenverdansC6
Since my wheels were a $1850 option, I wouldn't think all that went into the cost of the chromimg.
Nope. Most of that went into GM/dealer pockets . And yes, that's what GM charges just for the chrome option.

As far as I know, only the 'gumby' wheels have been forged on the Vette. All others are cast. The only ones I'm not sure about are the Z06/ZR1 19/20 cup wheels. But am almost positive are cast, since no word on being forged.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel/weight Dilemma

Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

TSW Interlagos 18x9 is 18.3lbs and the 19x10.5 is 23.9lbs.

http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_interlagos.php
Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_nurburgring.php
Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Originally Posted by jon6.0
TSW Interlagos 18x9 is 18.3lbs and the 19x10.5 is 23.9lbs.

http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_interlagos.php
Thanks! I noticed that the 18x9 is lighter than the 18x8 - That's odd

Quick Reply: Wheel/weight Dilemma