C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Ride Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Ballypinball
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Magnetic Ride Control Problem

The tour/sport dial seems to do nothing, no difference to suspension or steering wheel, could it be unplugged?

will a tech2 show if the function works or not
Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

you will notice the difference on bumpy roads.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

my 2011 gs acts no difference on either setting. yes, i know others have said that it works and that you may not feel the difference.

well, i am one of those that honestly cant tell the difference. oklahoma has some really bad roads (natural test track) and seriously, no difference on either setting. north of here, ther is a stretch on about 5 miles, where the road is like a bumpy wave, bump smooth bump smooth bump smooth ( you get the idea). no matter what the setting it sounds and feels identical.

we ( wife and i ) could not tell any difference with the goodyears and now with nitto invo we still cannot tell any difference.
we dont road course the car, so havent verified how it acts that way.

i have thought in the past that , had i specifily ordered the option , then i would have wasted the money.

so with that said.. i too wonder if there is some way to test the function.

i have the aweful cold thats going around , so my spelling and sentence structure may be horrible , i feel horrible! lol keep smiling everyone!

a thought... i saw a vid more than a year ago, or maybe it was just a pic. it was a vet going over a road course hill. one version showed with it on and the other pic showed it off. you could see the wheels in the air when off and the tires almost on the road when on.
anyone remember that pic comparision? could you find it? with my cold i dont have the energy to research finding it. thanks!!!!

Last edited by ChevyDave; 01-30-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: a thought..
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

I just got my 2013 GS and it has MSRC. When I test drove the car I could not feel the difference. I did some reading and basically I found that if on a smoother road, switching back and forth, you would not be able to tell the difference.

After I bought it and took it home I found a strip of road that was fairly crappy. Drove through it once on touring and then again in sport. Oh yes, I could tell the difference and touring was a lot less jarring on the body.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

after having a nap (this cold i got hit me hard) i did search and most topics just say... i love it and yes i can tell the difference. really?

anyway, no one said you could have it tested on Tech2. there was a topic that older C5's & before did require a tab/stuffer to be removed (at dealership) but that was discontinued long long ago. So from what i researched, there is really no way to 'test' other than driving and 'feeling' the difference.

generally i think the way most had said to test is the method in #5 & #10...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...e-working.html

Last edited by ChevyDave; 01-30-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

This might be the video you're talking about - its a C5, but shows the cars going over a bumpy/wavey road - scroll out to about 1:25 in the video to see how the stock suspension does compared to the car with MSRC:

I've had two C6's with MSRC - a 2005 coupe, and my current 2009 ZR1. In both cars I found it difficult to tell any difference except in some specific conditions.

I think it only will show a difference when you really drive the car aggressively, and then it will stiffen up and reduce body roll in sport.

There are a couple speed bumps in my area, and if I go over a speed bump with a little speed when in tour mode, after the car bounces up into the air slightly, when it comes back down the ride is soft enough to let the car settle and something underneath will hit the speed bump.

To keep that from happening I just go over the speed bumps in sport. The suspension is firmer and the sport mode doesn't let the car settle quite as fast (or maybe not as much), and nothing underneath bumps.

I find that the ZR1 reacts just the same as my old 2005 did when going over the same speed bumps.

So......it's difficult to tell the difference between tour and sport unless you drive aggressively (like on the track) or over certain types of road surfaces.

Bob
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks BEZ'r thats it!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ballypinball
The tour/sport dial seems to do nothing, no difference to suspension or steering wheel, could it be unplugged?

will a tech2 show if the function works or not
hummm..... i have no proof but here is a thought. i am assuming you might have a Canadian or European version car?? Its possible , but i have NO proof , that these version might still have the 'pull tab' that keeps them deactivated , until removed.

this pertains to an old C5 topic but...
again, only a thought. i do know that 'non usa' versions do have unusual differences. this topic was for C5's and before, but i am including it here for your consideration....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ck-blocks.html
Old 01-30-2013, 05:13 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

It'd be interesting to know if disconnecting the **** throws a warning/code or not. GM should have at least make a DIC message when switching modes; cheap bastages. Also worth mentioning is if there's an issue with the system, shocks revert to 'sport' mode... but at that point, a warning/code should definitely be set.

Finally, even if we don't feel the difference (it's subtle indeed, but definitely a marked difference in bumpy roads), keep in mind these MSRC shocks are a BIG step over the regular ones, since they keep the tires planted to the ground much better, whether in sport or tour mode. They should also be noticeable during quick steering transitions (shocks are not a factor in steady-state turning, like on a skid pad).

Last edited by JCtx; 01-30-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
There are a couple speed bumps in my area, and if I go over a speed bump with a little speed when in tour mode, after the car bounces up into the air slightly, when it comes back down the ride is soft enough to let the car settle and something underneath will hit the speed bump.

I was going to use that exact same example. We have "speed humps" that are long black rubber speed bumps going onto base and if the car is in touring mode the cats used to hit them every time. In sport mode its stiff enough to roll over them at 15-20 with no issues.

Another good example I can use is at high speed. At 150+ the car felt like it was floating up and down at the same rythm on the road in touring mode. In sport mode it feels like its glued down and every crack on the road is felt.

During normal driving you probably wont notice a difference even on a crappy road. It's during high speed handling and large dips and bumps where you really begin to feel how well the sport mode holds the car on the road.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 AM
Carsonvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While on a smooth road jerk the steering wheel right and left with the Tour mode and then the Sport mode. I can definitely tell the difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Ride Control Problem

Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride Control Problem