C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a supercharger if...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Would you buy a supercharger if...

You could get it as a DIY or installed for you.
No money out of pocket.
It resulted in your car payment being the same or lower (maybe a little higher for those of you with bad credit) but a year or two longer.

Would you do it?

H
Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,721 Posts

First, do you really want it? Second, can you afford it? Third, will you keep the car long enough to pay it off?

I paid cash for the MP112 that's on my Avalanche. I've enjoyed it for 60k miles and almost 9 years now. I still get a ****-eating grin every time I step on the gas.

If I couldn't pay cash, I probably wouldn't choose do it. A vehicle is already a losing proposition as far as an "investment" and you would immediately be adding a big chunk of negative equity. That's my 2 cent's worth.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 AM
1fastbob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, No, No and No. IMHO buying mods of any type on credit is foolish, especially in the current economical climate. Just my opinion... your mileage may vary.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM
mophead
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How can you say no money out of pocket when it extends the loan for a year or two? Only an extra $8 to 16 thousand dollars my guess.

Sounds like you been watching too much TV and think you can spend like the federal government.

You're an automotive manager! Don't you know better??????? Or maybe that's the plan for all the other folks.

Last edited by mophead; 01-31-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Our society needs to relearn how to save money for something thy want, or if they already have it, pay cash. Credit, lax lending has led this country down hill. Our parents and grandparents did it the right way.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm just floating an idea. I happen to agree with all of you but I was curious to see how such an idea might be received. I'm not doing this myself, I'm asking if other people would do it.

This is one of those deals that's aimed at those that want the mod but don't have the cash. They can afford either a higher payment or the same payment for longer. Financing the supercharger with the car is much cheaper with a 3-5 percent loan than financing the supercharger alone at 15 to 25 percent on a credit card or consumer loan.

Given how car dealers inflate loan rates for profit someone may actually end up with a lower payment when they refinance with the supercharger.

Btw, the expression "no cash out of pocket" refers to the to not having to come up with any cash up front to start the process. As in all things there is no free lunch.

Anyway, curious what my fellow vette owners think.
H
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ccmano
I'm just floating an idea. I happen to agree with all of you but I was curious to see how such an idea might be received. I'm not doing this myself, I'm asking if other people would do it.

This is one of those deals that's aimed at those that want the mod but don't have the cash. They can afford either a higher payment or the same payment for longer. Financing the supercharger with the car is much cheaper with a 3-5 percent loan than financing the supercharger alone at 15 to 25 percent on a credit card or consumer loan.

Given how car dealers inflate loan rates for profit someone may actually end up with a lower payment when they refinance with the supercharger.

Btw, the expression "no cash out of pocket" refers to the to not having to come up with any cash up front to start the process. As in all things there is no free lunch.

Anyway, curious what my fellow vette owners think.
H
A couple questions:
Do most auto insurance co's write a policy for a sc corvette? Will banks loan additional money at a competitive rate based on no real value added via blue book?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM
BadAV
Race Director

I'll add one more thought:

Anyone who can't come up with the cash for a supercharger really doesn't have any business buying one. Sooner or later, if you use the supercharger the way it's intended, you will break something. And that something will most likely be expensive to fix.

I use the MP112 on the Avalanche as intended, but I don't beat the hell out of it. I'm cammed, stalled, and pullied down, with a slightly beefed-up 4L60E. A 6k lb. truck with 475 supercharged hp is pretty rough on an already marginal 4L60E tranny so it or the G80 are the most-likely failure points in my setup. A fully-built FLT tranny will run $6500 and if I have to replace it, that's what will go in. A Detroit True-Trac to replace a grenaded G80 will probably run about $2k installed. Most people never think far enough ahead to plan for the inevitible failure so they end up stuck with a broken vehicle and no money to get it back on the road.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:44 PM
staticki
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
I'll add one more thought:

Anyone who can't come up with the cash for a supercharger really doesn't have any business buying one. Sooner or later, if you use the supercharger the way it's intended, you will break something. And that something will most likely be expensive to fix.

I use the MP112 on the Avalanche as intended, but I don't beat the hell out of it. I'm cammed, stalled, and pullied down, with a slightly beefed-up 4L60E. A 6k lb. truck with 475 supercharged hp is pretty rough on an already marginal 4L60E tranny so it or the G80 are the most-likely failure points in my setup. A fully-built FLT tranny will run $6500 and if I have to replace it, that's what will go in. A Detroit True-Trac to replace a grenaded G80 will probably run about $2k installed. Most people never think far enough ahead to plan for the inevitible failure so they end up stuck with a broken vehicle and no money to get it back on the road.
What do you say to the guys that have vettes with over 100k on the odo with a supercharger?

If you can afford it--go for it!

Can't take it with you when you die.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Jaycajun
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
Our society needs to relearn how to save money for something thy want, or if they already have it, pay cash. Credit, lax lending has led this country down hill. Our parents and grandparents did it the right way.
Credit is fine as long as people don't get overextended and they can make the payments
Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Originally Posted by staticki
What do you say to the guys that have vettes with over 100k on the odo with a supercharger?
Did you read my first post also? I've got 60k+ on mine and 9 years. Facts are facts, and sooner or later you will break something, especially if you beat the crap out of it. If you don't have the cash to fix a tranny or rear end, you really have no business considering a supercharger. If you want to play, you have to be prepared and have the means to pay.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not add boost to any car. I go to the track and the cars that break most often are the ones that added boost. It adds complications, more things can break. It's not a money issue, but reliability for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you buy a supercharger if...

Quick Reply: Would you buy a supercharger if...