C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob won't reprogram. Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:51 AM
AptosC6
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob won't reprogram. Car won't start

Perhaps this problem has been addressed before, if so I apologize. I have a 2006 Z51 coupe with automatic tranny. A couple weeks ago the key fob went dead. I bought new batteries, popped open the fob and did a quick replacement. Next time I went out to drive the car the fob would not work. So I got out the spare fob and same issue. Again, change batteries nothing.
I was driving the car around using the key to get into the trunk so I could pop the door and get into the car. I then had to place the fob into the glove box slot to start the car (so I know the slot works). After getting tired of having to drive around with my keys dangling in the glove box I decided to try to fob restore program elsewhere with this forum.
I grabbed a book, wrapped the fobs in tin foil (Faraday cage), ditched my cell phone in the house, took all of the suggested precautions and proceeded to attempt to reprogram my fobs without success.
I have attempted the procedure 3 times and each time everything seems to go fine all the way to the end of the procedure then….program fob 1, beep, program fob 2, hit the bottom of the start button to end program. Everything turns off. Foot on the brake, start lights up green, press the button and…NO FOB FOUND.
Am I doing something wrong or is there more to this story?

PS: I called my local dealer (Courtesy in San Jose, CA) and was told to tow the car in for reprogramming. This just seems absurd due to a $1.50 battery in the fob.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

You should not need to reprogram if the fob works in the glove box slot. I bet its still a fob battery problem. Make sure you dont have the battery installed upside down and try a different brand of battery.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,818 Likes on 2,063 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

OK, I have 2 things for you.

If the car starts with the FOB in the slot, that actually tells you a lot of information.

>> FOB not detected checklist <<

>>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<

Do them in the order presented, top one first.

Elmer
Old 05-31-2013, 10:44 AM
AptosC6
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,
Thanks so much. I walked out to the car and pressed the unlock button on one of the fobs (per the instructions that Elmer linked me to). The lights flashed, I got in and the car started right up! It was all about that one last step.
Thanks again,
Randy
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I bought an 08 fob reprogrammed using the long procedure... went to start the car nothing... I chuckled and said to myself of course... got out of the car and popped the trunk with all 3 fobs, locked and unlocked, then got back in the car and viola started right up. I was a little nervous when it didn't start but I guess getting out and hitting some buttons on the fobs is nec.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good news.

Get notified of new replies

To Key fob won't reprogram. Car won't start

Quick Reply: Key fob won't reprogram. Car won't start