C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 2005 A4 Shifter Cable Repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Z06ish
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Default DIY 2005 A4 Shifter Cable Repair

I got in my corvette yesterday afternoon to back out of the garage and when I went from P to R it felt like something came loose and the shifter moved freely throughout all the gears. This had happened once before to me in my 1998 Trans Am and the bolt had came out of the bracket that connects it to the transmission. I proceeded to jack up the rear of the car and inspect the connection on the tranny, looked good, had the wife move the shifter back and forth and confirmed no movement at the transmission. I decided to pull the console and unbolt the shifter, sure enough the bushing that fits into the end of the shifter cable that connects it to the shift lever was broken.

I jumped on the net and found a few threads for the C5 A4 and a couple for the C6 and most said they had to replace the cable. I then found another thread for a C5 that indicted they had successfully replaced the bushing with a part from advance auto, Dorman 14041. Here is a picture of the old bushing, the two pieces on top of each other, and the second smallest bushing that comes in the package.

The hardest part was getting the remainder of the old broken bushing out of the shift cable socket. Once I got it out the new one popped right in, with some effort...which was good as once it was in, it was nice and snug. After that I just reassembled everything back and it was fixed, cost me $7.49 and took about an hour and a half. I do not know if it is the same for all C6s, mine is an 05, but this fix is a whole lot easier and cheaper than replacing the entire cable assembly. Hope this can help someone out someday.

2005 Supercharged Widebody C6, 605 RWHP
1998 H/C/N2O Ram Air Trans Am, 546 RWHP
Old 11-10-2013, 07:15 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 561 Likes on 455 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Nice troubleshooting.

There have been similar reports before. I'm going to throw these links in here to maybe also help others find the info in the future along with other pics.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...with-pics.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...t-working.html
Old 06-28-2014, 01:50 PM
ramon1367
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifter Pos.

Thanks for your post it is a lot of help for DIY. have the same symptoms like yours just a question I have to move the shifter all the way down to remove the console can it remains all the way down or have to be in park
Old 06-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Z06ish
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ramon1367
Thanks for your post it is a lot of help for DIY. have the same symptoms like yours just a question I have to move the shifter all the way down to remove the console can it remains all the way down or have to be in park
Once you have the shifter assembly off you can manually put the transmission in any position that makes it easiest to manipulate it and get the new bushing in by pulling or pushing on the cable itself.

Update: My new bushing popped out about a week after I did this, I took it apart again and put a few drops of gorilla glue on the outside of the bushing before I popped it in the shifter cable socket. It has worked that way flawlessly since the day I glued it in.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Alex11b
3rd Gear

Default Great Fix

Originally Posted by Z06ish
Once you have the shifter assembly off you can manually put the transmission in any position that makes it easiest to manipulate it and get the new bushing in by pulling or pushing on the cable itself.

Update: My new bushing popped out about a week after I did this, I took it apart again and put a few drops of gorilla glue on the outside of the bushing before I popped it in the shifter cable socket. It has worked that way flawlessly since the day I glued it in.
Had the same issue happen this past Friday. Your directions were spot on. thanks for saving me a $$$.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:51 PM
johnnyb26
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Great info just fixed my 2006 works great thanks again
Old 02-17-2015, 02:34 PM
Robster618
6th Gear

Had the same issue last night when I got home. Great description. Installing mine now
Old 05-03-2015, 08:59 PM
jmoffett
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine broke this afternoon. Thanks for the post!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 AM
Andy Kamashian
1st Gear

Default Awesome Info!

Absolutely worked on my 2008 C6! $7.49 (used only one piece out of the kit) from Autozone and a 45 minute total repair time. Saved over $50 unnecessarily replacing the whole cable assembly, crawling under the car to get to the tranny and the time it took to get the Dealer-only part!

Thanks so much for the help.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

nice! good job!
Old 10-02-2016, 05:51 AM
Fredclum
5th Gear

Default Console removal

Have shifter bushing failure on C5, how do I remove console ?
Old 04-09-2017, 08:59 PM
corvettef9
2nd Gear

This post was super help for me to swap the bushing. However, I am struggling to reconnect the shifter to the transmission cable. The transmission cable is inflexible upward, so it seems to me you have to somehow reach your hand in there while you squeeze the shifter ball back into the bushing with your hands while it is jammed back into position. Is there some trick I'm missing to putting those two back together?
Old 04-11-2017, 07:38 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 451 Likes on 386 Posts

Thanks....easy to read story/ instructions.
Gorilla Glue....that's what is great about this forum...that seems like the insightful tip.

Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Buy-Low
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me. George Nahas Chevrolet in Wildwood FL just charged me almost $500 to install a new cable.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:35 PM
JAV3
1st Gear

Thanks for the tip and actual part no. for the bushing kit from Autozone. I had already purchased a shift cable repair kit from BushingFix.com, but spent $19.99 plus shipping for the part. It was a simple and easy repair that works fine. I also had an issue with reconnecting the cable end to the shifter. I had to align the two and work the shifter down onto the cable end while seated in the passenger seat, as there's a bit more space to get your hand between the shifter and the inner tunnel wall. But it took some time and much patience.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:18 PM
emirayas
Heel & Toe

I have the same issue in my 05 I bought the bushings from autozone and installed the new one on the shifter side of the cable. I also jacked up the car and manually moved the lever on the transmission to the park position after inspecting the transmission side bushing which was in good condition. My battery was low from not starting for a week so i recharged it to 100%. Shifter is still not connected to cable but with the shifter in P and the lever manually in park my c6 still won’t start. I can hear the starter clicking and all my gauges on the dashboard act as if the car was starting when i push to start. Car still won’t start. Is there a different problem i’m having?
Old 10-24-2021, 11:41 AM
Smooth72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just went through this on my 06. I was lucky enough just to do the bushing. I had some extra long needle nose pliers that helped. I had problems with shifting out of park so I did that mod will I was in there.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY 2005 A4 Shifter Cable Repair

Quick Reply: DIY 2005 A4 Shifter Cable Repair