C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers touching transmission line.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:06 AM
importcars
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers touching transmission line.

I am putting headers (brand is irrelevant) on my 2007 Base A6 car.

On the passenger side the header is or nearly is touch the transmission line.

What have others done to prevent heat transfer? I am thinking wrapping the line with insulation, try bending brackets to try and move it away, and dent the header...

I don't want to turn this into Brand X headers suck and if you bought Brand Y this wouldn't be an issue.

Adam
Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 AM
importcars
Heel & Toe

I am sure thats an option, but thats 2 weeks minimum till I have another manifold. If I can resolve this issue I may avoid a larger issue that may come with the replacement header. Thanks for you input.

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...und-insulation

I have some of this insulation, would this be a suitable fix assuming I can get a gap between line and header? I have yet to use it to know how well it withstands heat, bought it to put above the tunnel plate while I am under there,

Thanks
Old 12-01-2013, 01:01 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

some of the manufactures include a bracket that more or less spaces the line away from the header. Heat wrap would be a requirement either way. shop around some are good to over 800F direct contact
Old 12-01-2013, 01:54 AM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I would recommend loosening the whole system (bolts in the heads too), then using a pry bar, and get the header off the line, and then retighten.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:25 PM
importcars
Heel & Toe

Mentioning the bracket made me look at the brackets and slotting the factory bracket was a HUGE help.

I wrapped it with the insulation I mentioned earlier and I am confident it will be no problem now. There is a solid 3/8" between the insulation and header.

I also used 24" o2 extensions, so I was able to route the wires behind and keep that all clear from heat.

Thanks for all the help.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Headers touching transmission line.

Quick Reply: Headers touching transmission line.